Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1501 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Think I'd want more CV90s (ideally with Stugna/TOW launchers) before Leos at this point.

I presume those will be included as well, but I know ten Leopard 2s are heading over.

Rapid fire 40mm salvos definitely need to be a part of orc life. Saw some clips recently of CV90s laying it down. Sucks to be Yuri.

Sweden's been doing mass production of 40mm since what, the 30s? I hope that translates into AFU getting all they want.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
gazprom reports 6.8B loss for 2023, first since 1999
putler has been squeezing gazprom to fund the war, will likely have to use the national bank to prop up the company which will have knock on effects on the economy. should cut into the piggybank they built up prior to the war.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Seems adequate numbers of artillery shells and ATACMS are having the desired effect. Russians are really getting chewed up. Vovchansk and others are total shootin galleries. AFU fighting fiercy, as they do.

Watched a selfie video from a Chinese merc earlier this morning. He described a lack of equipment and language barriers playing huge roles in things getting shitty. Mentioned how AFU owns the battlefield with drone intel, that they are more common than birds. Nothing moves far before it is hit. Also a new Polish mortar is apparently giving these guys nightmares, one of those suppressor designs where it's almost impossible to hear firing from not far away.

I remember him saying most of their fighters get thrown into an assault and live for about 8-10hours.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Wanna watch a half billion dollar S-400 battery desperately tying to intercept incoming 30 year old missiles and fail spectacularly to do so?

Of course you do.

Sadly, they missed one of the vehicles based on the after-images - looked like one of the launchers escaped. Still a good show for what was probably a single ATACMS cluster missile that was sitting in storage in the US waiting for funds to be decommissioned.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Weird what happens when Ukraine is supplied with improved firepower that results the near daily deletion of very expensive Russian systems and assets.

What they’re really saying is: ‘Hey we plan on launching a major offensive this summer, but we don’t have to if we can get to negotiating table. BTW, our ally China will stir shit up in Taiwan to keep the US busy if they even think about further escalation in Ukraine.

That’s how I see it anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What they’re really saying is: ‘Hey we plan on launching a major offensive this summer, but we don’t have to if we can get to negotiating table. BTW, our ally China will stir shit up in Taiwan to keep the US busy if they even think about further escalation in Ukraine.

lol - the cope is strong.

When asked a few months back about negotiations Putin said 'they are out of ammunition, why would we negotiate?' The most likely answer is that Russia is struggling to maintain an offensive with their exhausted potential and Putin would be happy to keep what he has.

Oh and remember any escalation is due to Russia illegally invading their neighbor. If they want to de-escalate they can do so at any time by returning to their own country. And finally by 'ally' China you mean 'boss' China, right? Russia is being reduced to a Chinese client state in real time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

A conflict over Taiwan will involve virtually none of the same weapons systems or munitions that are in demand in Ukraine where the US isn't actually fighting anyway.

By all accounts the current effort has basically exhausted Russian industry's capacity to refurbish artillery and armor and the depots are getting thin. Not to mention billions worth of hard to replace stuff is getting snuffed by ATACMS on the regular. He'd like a break to regenerate and hope that Trump makes it to office.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
When asked a few months back about negotiations Putin said 'they are out of ammunition, why would we negotiate?' The most likely answer is that Russia is struggling to maintain an offensive with their exhausted potential and Putin would be happy to keep what he has.

There is reportedly some growing awareness in Putin and his circle that as vets cycle back to Russia they have huge emotional, psychological issues that the state is unable/unwilling to address that's increasingly sowing chaos in Russian society at large. With most of the Rosgvardia deployed to Ukraine to terrorize them the police state is finding itself somewhat short on police which is an increasing concern. I suspect this is one of the reasons the FSB is cleaning house at the top of MOD and essentially taking it over, to prevent any trouble from that area.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Yes this is how you see it.
maxresdefault.jpg

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Meanwhile, non-aggressive Silly Putty is not-mucking about in the Baltic Sea and not-threatening Poland and other countries.
I know, right? Way to further unify Europe and cause them to further aid Ukraine and build up their own military capabilities. He's a genius in his own mind.