Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1000 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
A .50 cal with AP will trash a T-34 and its contents.

Flank or rear? Probably no problem for those C44 rounds. Hottest load that comes in .50 I think, big ol chunk of tungsten in there. From the front? Idk.

Would probably go clear through a WW1 tank though, and at this rate we'll be seeing orcs in those soon too.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Flank or rear? Probably no problem for those C44 rounds. Hottest load that comes in .50 I think, big ol chunk of tungsten in there. From the front? Idk.

Would probably go clear through a WW1 tank though, and at this rate we'll be seeing orcs in those soon too.
If the reports on train shipments are true we should send Ukraine some old M72 LAWS to deal with them so they can save the good stuff for meaningful targets.

Reactions: Indus

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Some serious drone muscle on those things, artillery shells are a lot heavier than an RPG round. I wonder what kind of range they can get, that's like lifting a small child.
Maybe they're getting deployed from a glider? (as in plane).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Some serious drone muscle on those things, artillery shells are a lot heavier than an RPG round. I wonder what kind of range they can get, that's like lifting a small child.

They appear to be PG-7L HEAT warheads for the RPG-7. Listed weight is just under 6 pounds.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They appear to be PG-7L HEAT warheads for the RPG-7. Listed weight is just under 6 pounds.

Some parts removed then, but clearly I need a banana for scale there. Didn't notice the rear taper enough either, ugh. So same setup as the vid you posted couple days ago, with the oh so fitting music. HEAT will go through a vintage tank like shit through a goose, so yeah. Have fun with that Yuri.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Glad to see that happening, a little surprised it took this long.

"Large scale"? I hope it's on a Polish scale. Every NATO member in the EU needs to become a Finland or a Poland, defense wise.

We hosted a Romanian family back in 2006, getting them on their feet here in the States. Nice people.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
They better join forces to pre-emptively strike Russia. That's their best bet to avoid a future invasion.
Nato is a defensive organisation, not a attack one. Plus, if you attack Russia, they, as incompetent as they are, still have nukes. Plus, both countries have major corruption problems, majority coming from russian infiltration, useful idiots and old communists who still have power. So no, attacking Russia is not an option, but being prepared to sting as much as possible, definitely. Actually, in the next 10 years, with the level of arming, Ukraine, Poland and Romania could defeat any conventional russian army (without external help).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Post a pic of it. Some of us refuse to create a twitter account.

Putin's arrest warrant not exactly the nothing burger Kremlin dismissed it as

"The news spread “like fire” in private chats between officials in the presidential administration, one source close to the Kremlin said, adding that reactions were “strong, mostly unprintable.”

“There was a sense that they [in the West] had crossed the line, that it was like a slap in the face for all of us,” he said. Others suddenly began to realize that they too could face war crimes charges. “There was an instant thought that there are not only sanctions against [us], but also more serious things, that it would be impossible to leave the country,” one source in a government ministry was quoted saying. He said he himself did not expect to face any criminal prosecution, but that other members of the government could “maybe” go down."

Yeah, Milosevic and Mladić talked a bunch of shit about The Hague and dismissed it too, didn't they? How'd that work out?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ahh, Meloni. It's not all good news with her, but I'm thankful for her common sense resolve towards Putler's War. I think it's pretty cool we have people like Georgia Meloni and Sanna Marin standing up to Russia. Putin is a sexist, so strong women helping to exact a terrifying toll on his interests is a bit unpleasant I'm sure.

It's great she'd rather kick Putin in the balls instead of licking and caressing them like Berlusconi, but jury still out on her. Not convinced over her playing nice with Brussels suddenly. Italy has been and is still waaay too cozy with Moscow for my taste. The Italian right is a lot like the American right in that way, and it's equally nauseating.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
We allowed Putin to save face in 2014 when he took Crimea for Ukraine. Let's not repeat that mistake again.

More than that happened. We replaced a Pro-Russian Ukrainian regime with a Pro-American regime that year. Here is a clip of Senator Chris Murphy talking about it on C-SPAN back in 2014:

Here Senator Murphy said we did it for American profit:
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1638195749094563841

This is an argument I understand. America was exerting its power to further its economic interests. However if Russia destabilized and removed the Mexican government in favor of a regime that was more favorable to Moscow economically, I do not think the American government would sit idly by. There is a chance that Putin only took Crimea in response at the time because of his fear of American power. America seems to be considerably weaker now than in 2014 and China seem to be at least as powerful as America economically now. With China backing him, perhaps Putin decided that America lacks the power to stop him. Many bloody wars have started over perceived weakness in ones opponent.

NOTE: As an engineer I have some experience with working with Chinese engineers. The Chinese engineers I worked with were well above average. I think about China having nearly 10 times as many engineering graduates than America each year and I think it really is over. If China has manufacturing and engineering hegemony, they have hegemony. This is why this time in history is so dangerous. Can America cede hegemony to China peacefully or will there be worldwide bloodshed?

• Haha
Reactions: Roger Wilco

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
More than that happened. We replaced a Pro-Russian Ukrainian regime with a Pro-American regime that year. Here is a clip of Senator Chris Murphy talking about it on C-SPAN back in 2014:

Here Senator Murphy said we did it for American profit:
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1638195749094563841

This is an argument I understand. America was exerting its power to further its economic interests. However if Russia destabilized and removed the Mexican government in favor of a regime that was more favorable to Moscow economically, I do not think the American government would sit idly by. There is a chance that Putin only took Crimea in response at the time because of his fear of American power. America seems to be considerably weaker now than in 2014 and China seem to be at least as powerful as America economically now. With China backing him, perhaps Putin decided that America lacks the power to stop him. Many bloody wars have started over perceived weakness in ones opponent.

NOTE: As an engineer I have some experience with working with Chinese engineers. The Chinese engineers I worked with were well above average. I think about China having nearly 10 times as many engineering graduates than America each year and I think it really is over. If China has manufacturing and engineering hegemony, they have hegemony. This is why this time in history is so dangerous. Can America cede hegemony to China peacefully or will there be worldwide bloodshed?
Less Russian agitprop, more arguments that climate change will actually be a great thing for billions of people.