Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1001 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
More than that happened. We replaced a Pro-Russian Ukrainian regime with a Pro-American regime that year. Here is a clip of Senator Chris Murphy talking about it on C-SPAN back in 2014:

Here Senator Murphy said we did it for American profit:
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1638195749094563841

This is an argument I understand. America was exerting its power to further its economic interests. However if Russia destabilized and removed the Mexican government in favor of a regime that was more favorable to Moscow economically, I do not think the American government would sit idly by. There is a chance that Putin only took Crimea in response at the time because of his fear of American power. America seems to be considerably weaker now than in 2014 and China seem to be at least as powerful as America economically now. With China backing him, perhaps Putin decided that America lacks the power to stop him. Many bloody wars have started over perceived weakness in ones opponent.

NOTE: As an engineer I have some experience with working with Chinese engineers. The Chinese engineers I worked with were well above average. I think about China having nearly 10 times as many engineering graduates than America each year and I think it really is over. If China has manufacturing and engineering hegemony, they have hegemony. This is why this time in history is so dangerous. Can America cede hegemony to China peacefully or will there be worldwide bloodshed?
We didn't the fucking Ukrainian people did after the pro Russian government lied to its own people

why are you being so dishonest ?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
More than that happened. We replaced a Pro-Russian Ukrainian regime with a Pro-American regime that year. Here is a clip of Senator Chris Murphy talking about it on C-SPAN back in 2014:

This is an argument I understand. America was exerting its power to further its economic interests. However if Russia destabilized and removed the Mexican government in favor of a regime that was more favorable to Moscow economically, I do not think the American government would sit idly by. There is a chance that Putin only took Crimea in response at the time because of his fear of American power. America seems to be considerably weaker now than in 2014 and China seem to be at least as powerful as America economically now. With China backing him, perhaps Putin decided that America lacks the power to stop him. Many bloody wars have started over perceived weakness in ones opponent.

NOTE: As an engineer I have some experience with working with Chinese engineers. The Chinese engineers I worked with were well above average. I think about China having nearly 10 times as many engineering graduates than America each year and I think it really is over. If China has manufacturing and engineering hegemony, they have hegemony. This is why this time in history is so dangerous. Can America cede hegemony to China peacefully or will there be worldwide bloodshed?

Haha, what a huge load of crap. I hope you feel better after dropping that.

And your praise of Chinese engineers seems more than a little idealistic. Yes, they have numbers, but if Chinese engineers were so superior to their Western counterparts the majority of Chinese tech advances (still behind the West) wouldn't be the result of unprecedented levels of global espionage, both military and commercial. Innovation plays a distant back seat to rote memorization in China, and numbers aren't the end all be all aspect of things like R&D, or even warfare - or have you failed to notice that despite overwhelming numerical superiority, Russia is still not winning this war of theirs? They are getting spanked by NATO trainees using a tiny fraction of NATO budget and abilities.

If you're curious about war, ask the Chinese. They're the ones that want one. Cheerleading China and Russia is a bad look though, it's just a pity crimes against humanity don't seem to matter to you.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Lol at using a Michael Tracey tweet as backup.

Has he recovered from the beating Maxine Waters gave him yet?

Reactions: Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It’s amazing how many contortions you clowns go through to try and convince yourselves and others that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is anyone’s fault but Russia’s.

They are big boys with big boy pants. They invaded Ukraine because they wanted to.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

At some point this poster disappeared for awhile and the poster who returned had lost his mind.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Holy shit!

I might get chastised for this but I wouldn't mind our current Trumpanzees taking a lesson from this woman about Ukraine.

Between UK and Italy, I am profoundly jealous of Parliamentary systems that trend towards the leader of a country having the ability to speak.
That and, when they win elections... it actually means something. Imagine a functioning democracy where the votes DO count.

That may be an Italian right winger, but at least they're still a good person. Respecting the sovereignty of nations and demanding we give it our all to maintain the peace that is our world order. Rather than yielding to genocidal dictators to save a quick buck at the expense of all we hold dear.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Between UK and Italy, I am profoundly jealous of Parliamentary systems that trend towards the leader of a country having the ability to speak.
That and, when they win elections... it actually means something. Imagine a functioning democracy where the votes DO count.

That may be an Italian right winger, but at least they're still a good person. Respecting the sovereignty of nations and demanding we give it our all to maintain the peace that is our world order. Rather than yielding to genocidal dictators to save a quick buck at the expense of all we hold dear.
I dream of a United States where when people win elections they get to implement their agenda so voters can evaluate if it's good or bad. Whenever I say this though people in the US freak out.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
At some point this poster disappeared for awhile and the poster who returned had lost his mind.
1679666889706.jpeg
If I recall original bshole was a fairly liberal poster with a family from a northern state.

He stopped posting for quite awhile and when he came back it was either a hacked account or he’d fallen down some internet rabbit hole.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Not Stopping Russia in Ukraine Would Force 'Doubling' of US Defense Budget, Milley Says

"If that rules-based order, which is in its 80th year, if that goes out the window, then be very careful," Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley testified to Congress on Thursday. "We'll be doubling our defense budgets at that point because that will introduce not an era of great power competition. That'll begin an era of great power conflict. And that'll be extraordinarily dangerous for the whole world."

Personally, I believe we have already lost the "world order" that was framed after WW2. Because we did not respond to Crimea in 2014. That action demanded a military build up in eastern Europe. So that, if Russia attacked further - we would have been there in force. To do what was needed so Ukraine would not suffer as it has suffered. We needed to engage Russia directly in Ukraine back in February 2022. This is a war against us that we have neglected to outright win.

Yes, we may have partially armed Ukraine. We may have trained them. But they have limited men and resources. Without decisive blows to Russia, the war becomes attrition. It becomes costly for us and the suffering Ukrainians have endured will be recognized the world over. Either you have nuclear weapons, or the nations that do will have carte blanche to walk all over you. Other nations fearing the consequences of STOPPING genocide. This message rings loud and clear. Nuclear weapons development, or become the next Ukraine. Whose land is occupied, burned, bombed. Whose people are refugees, displaced, wounded, tortured, raped and murdered.

To not have nuclear weapons is to eventually face a genocidal madman by yourself, alone. To any logical person, Russia's attack has solidified a global nuclear arms race.

But enough about Proliferation. That is the threat we face even should Ukraine win.
General Mark Milley wants you to know what we face if Ukraine loses this war. And I completely agree with him. To sit back and watch the post-war order dissolve, will be to invite WW3. That's on top of more nations rushing for nuclear weapons. This is our future, thanks to Russia. What are you willing and wanting us to do to prevent this?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not Stopping Russia in Ukraine Would Force 'Doubling' of US Defense Budget, Milley Says

"If that rules-based order, which is in its 80th year, if that goes out the window, then be very careful," Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley testified to Congress on Thursday. "We'll be doubling our defense budgets at that point because that will introduce not an era of great power competition. That'll begin an era of great power conflict. And that'll be extraordinarily dangerous for the whole world."

Personally, I believe we have already lost the "world order" that was framed after WW2. Because we did not respond to Crimea in 2014. That action demanded a military build up in eastern Europe. So that, if Russia attacked further - we would have been there in force. To do what was needed so Ukraine would not suffer as it has suffered. We needed to engage Russia directly in Ukraine back in February 2022. This is a war against us that we have neglected to outright win.

Yes, we may have partially armed Ukraine. We may have trained them. But they have limited men and resources. Without decisive blows to Russia, the war becomes attrition. It becomes costly for us and the suffering Ukrainians have endured will be recognized the world over. Either you have nuclear weapons, or the nations that do will have carte blanche to walk all over you. Other nations fearing the consequences of STOPPING genocide. This message rings loud and clear. Nuclear weapons development, or become the next Ukraine. Whose land is occupied, burned, bombed. Whose people are refugees, displaced, wounded, tortured, raped and murdered.

To not have nuclear weapons is to eventually face a genocidal madman by yourself, alone. To any logical person, Russia's attack has solidified a global nuclear arms race.

But enough about Proliferation. That is the threat we face even should Ukraine win.
General Mark Milley wants you to know what we face if Ukraine loses this war. And I completely agree with him. To sit back and watch the post-war order dissolve, will be to invite WW3. That's on top of more nations rushing for nuclear weapons. This is our future, thanks to Russia. What are you willing and wanting us to do to prevent this?
I don't know, it depends a lot on what happens here. There's a pretty plausible end game here where Russia's military is destroyed and Putin is overthrown/killed. That would be a pretty strong lesson to any country with similar designs.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know, it depends a lot on what happens here. There's a pretty plausible end game here where Russia's military is destroyed and Putin is overthrown/killed. That would be a pretty strong lesson to any country with similar designs.
Except the Chinese will be smarter and stronger when they make their move on Taiwan. It won't be a main force invasion, but rather a slowly strangling blockade combined with cyber attacks, quisling guerilla attacks inside Taiwan, and some rain of missiles, for "persuasion."

Reactions: ZGR and Leeea

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Don't forget their house of Lords -- unelected upper house.

Every good idea is rejected and every bad idea is approved just like Brexit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Except the Chinese will be smarter and stronger when they make their move on Taiwan. It won't be a main force invasion, but rather a slowly strangling blockade combined with cyber attacks, quisling guerilla attacks inside Taiwan, and some rain of missiles, for "persuasion."

Yeah I thought they would be smarter exiting their zero COVID stance and be prepared with medical supplies/workers, vaccinations, and drugs so as to prevent millions of easily avoidable deaths. Well not so much it turns out.

• Haha
Reactions: eikelbijter

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Video I was watching last night about China have a shrinking window available for them to invade Taiwan. The Ukrainian war has actually woken up the US military that we need to maintain greater stocks of our weapons and we are moving to increase production of windows.

4 Reasons Pushing China to Invade Taiwan Now

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah I thought they would be smarter exiting their zero COVID stance and be prepared with medical supplies/workers, vaccinations, and drugs so as to prevent millions of easily avoidable deaths. Well not so much it turns out.
Yeah, 'China is smart' is not something you can really bet on.

Speaking of 'China is not smart' they face a looming demographic catastrophe due to their insane one child policy. That county is headed for a meltdown.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Video I was watching last night about China have a shrinking window available for them to invade Taiwan. The Ukrainian war has actually woken up the US military that we need to maintain greater stocks of our weapons and we are moving to increase production of windows.

4 Reasons Pushing China to Invade Taiwan Now

Not only is the US getting a good wake up call about munitions production the war in Ukraine is providing vast amounts of experience with a wide array of western weaponry against a large semi-modern military. Following generations of weapons likely be even more reliable and capable based on what's being learned. Like I don't think anybody considers 155mm artillery less than 52 caliber to be remotely acceptable now and interest in long range fires has exploded.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Russia's defeat will not restore to Ukraine the lives lost, or undo the damages wrought. A good portion of the country will be ruins for decades to follow. The lost economy is huge, the debt and dependence to other nations....

If there is but one sure way to avoid that..... nuclear proliferation will surely follow. That much is already guaranteed.

Reactions: cytg111

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
As an eng who have dealt with a lot of asians and related (indians, japans, china, ...); i can say that some Chinese are quite good others not so good; but the thing is that while they have many competent people they tend to also be more rigid thinking and that is something that has allowed westerners to excel. You could change the word rigid to creativity if that makes you feel better. Having said this if the Republicans have their way USA schools will end up in shambles and in a generation or two be quite poor.

Yes, they have numbers, but if Chinese engineers were so superior to their Western counterparts the majority of Chinese tech advances (still behind the West) wouldn't be the result of unprecedented levels of global espionage, both military and commercial. Innovation plays a distant back seat to rote memorization in China, and numbers aren't the end all be all aspect of things like R&D, or even warfare - or have you failed to notice that despite overwhelming numerical superiority, Russia is still not winning this war of theirs? They are getting spanked by NATO trainees using a tiny fraction of NATO budget and abilities.