Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 998 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fighting a 3rd world country is a little bit different than fighting a European country armed to the teeth with American weapons. The death count for the Ukranian conflict could be 7.88 billion if Putin decides he has nothing to lose. I am not sure painting the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world into a corner is superior to a negotiated peace treaty that allows him to save face.

It is also notable to see countries like Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China all being neutral (at best) on this conflict. Saudi Arabia has signaled an interest in moving away from the petrol dollar,. If that occurs, it could signal the creation of BRIC coalition in opposition to American power. That would pretty much signal an end to America's ability to project power.

Those are all big authoritarian states. Conscience has no place in the lives of their leaders.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fighting a 3rd world country is a little bit different than fighting a European country armed to the teeth with American weapons. The death count for the Ukranian conflict could be 7.88 billion if Putin decides he has nothing to lose. I am not sure painting the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world into a corner is superior to a negotiated peace treaty that allows him to save face.

It is also notable to see countries like Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China all being neutral (at best) on this conflict. Saudi Arabia has signaled an interest in moving away from the petrol dollar,. If that occurs, it could signal the creation of BRIC coalition in opposition to American power. That would pretty much signal an end to America's ability to project power.

You think having a competing energy exchange/coalition automagically invalidates the energy we have and produce ourselves, as well as our military assets already very developed around the globe? Chinese market for energy will likely collapse with their population, and India is a democracy and our friend.

Incidentally, Russia is threatening the cohesion of BRICS via it's record of atrocities and war crimes in Ukraine. South Africans, the older ones, still have that attachment from the 60s and 70s when the Soviets supplied anti apartheid forces with weapons. Problem is, trade with the US and the EU is magnitudes what it is with Russia now, and younger generations seem to both lack that old Soviet affection yet are quite bothered by current Russian atrocities and war crimes. My hunch is that Brazil (and definitely Mexico) will be even closer to the States in the future, that BRICS has long term issues and needs more than Saudi money to work. The way things are going the Russian Fed making it out of this decade intact isn't even a given really. China and India have a looming water conflict don't they? I mean assuming Xi doesn't take back Vladivostok and the Amur regions, hell maybe turn Baikal into a Chinese lake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Should we be concerned about environmental impact in grain growing areas?
Or the growing season being missed this spring/summer; - well people who depend on Ukraine grain should be concern but concern or not it isn't going to change the nature of things. We can be as concern as we want to be but without action not much will change. What can we say - Putin - with his enlarged ego and decaying mental abilities is a disaster.... Of course there could be worse disaster as there are other miscalculating [pick your favorite phrase] leaders out there with too large an ego; ability to make large boom and little regards to short term or long term consequences.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Russia's tank division has gone all out on Avdiivka and the surrounding countryside in an attempt to dislodge the Ukrainian stronghold and collapse the front line.
Reportedly dozens of tanks destroyed "in each direction", but the Orcs keep swarming in the hope that Ukraine runs out of ammo before Russia runs out of armor and men.

If you look on the map, Avdiivka is 2 miles from Donetsk, and Russia/DPR couldn't take it for 9 years now. But situation is still pretty tough for the Ukrainians. Lots of Ukrainian soldiers getting killed. Not as many as attacking Russians, but a lot by any modern standard, hundreds per day. Ammo we are sending is important, but it's getting used up fast repelling constant attacks, so much more close combat now than before when it was mostly artillery duels.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A pipe dream for sure, yet wouldn't it be so righteous and satisfying if the ICC authorizes INTERPOL to capture Putin by all means available at their disposal. Having him convicted in absentia would also be a good thing. What that would mean in the way of consequences that would occur on the world stage is also something amusing to think about, like how would the world's tyrants react to that, etc.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Should we be concerned about environmental impact in grain growing areas?
its a bit late for that ...

Russia's proliferate mass use of munitions that contain heavy metals and dangerous chemicals have already poisoned large portions of Europe's breadbasket.

The best, quickest, and safest thing to do is an immediate intervention to engage and destroy every Russian military asset in Ukraine or any Russian military assets that threaten Ukraine with overwhelming, disproportionate, and excessive force.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
fear mongering
Your assuming Putin's nukes actually work, a roll of the dice even Putin is likely to scared to make.

I am not sure painting the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world into a corner is superior to a negotiated peace treaty that allows him to save face.
so not letting Putin genocide his neighbor is painting him into a corner? Your statements are delusional.

I am not sure painting the country with the largest nuclear arsenal in the world into a corner is superior to a negotiated peace treaty that allows him to save face.
You mean the worlds oldest and most decrepit nuclear arsenal, with weapons that fail to function in less then three years if the expensive, technically difficult, and top secret maintenance is not performed to exacting standards. So top secret that there is no oversite at all to stop someone from just taking the money and just buying his third yacht. After all, it is not like anybody is actually going to check if this thing is actually going to go bang.

BRIC was created way back in 2010, and it has achieved squat. That is not going to change any time soon.

Or are you all excited to start accepting RMB?

Reactions: Meghan54 and Muse

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

We allowed Putin to save face in 2014 when he took Crimea for Ukraine. Let's not repeat that mistake again.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ukrainians finishing Patriot training ahead of schedule. The US's two decades in the Middle East, in Afghanistan specifically, have likely ingrained some bad assumptions about how long it would take the Ukrainians to learn the systems. A mistake we keep making.

“The Patriot…typically takes U.S. soldiers up to a year to learn. But after just a few weeks, the Ukrainians were already able to independently set up and operate the system against a simulated threat in under 45 minutes.”

I figure it's the high morale and commitment of Ukrainians (it's exhilarating) that accounts for their being a quick study on weapon systems.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Oh Noes we're in trouble now

Russia recruits Steven Seagal to teach martial arts to its soldiers | Marca

or maybe not

maybe he'll just teach them how to waddle around and slap people to death?

I just wonder where the line is when he is branded a certified traitor by the US gov't and the media. I have purposely avoided watching any of his movies from way back when simply because he cashed in on his martial arts skills in a bad way where he brought dishonor and shame to the art while he was at it. That's just about the worst thing he could do to his teachers.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
Ukrainians finishing Patriot training ahead of schedule. The US's two decades in the Middle East, in Afghanistan specifically, have likely ingrained some bad assumptions about how long it would take the Ukrainians to learn the systems. A mistake we keep making.

It's a different thing when you train for a "possible" future armed conflict and another thing when you know your life and lives of loved ones depend on your ability to shot down the enemy. Pressure always makes for quicker learning. I'm not saying they are not good, but I bet they sent to trainig the best of the best and those are the ones that were using lesser defence systems and still managed to down russian rockets, so using a Patriot is like going inside a Formula 1 car after driving a dune buggy

Reactions: Leeea

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah quite the show of antiques in Ukraine. I'm still tickled by what I saw the other day - footage of a Ukrainian layin it down with a modified Maxim, one sporting a stock and pistol grip, optics and a suppressor. Was using it just like a KT machine gun, looked to be enjoying much less recoil though. Saw another pic of a Ukrainian Maxim mounted at an extreme inclination. I think they are doing what the Brits did in WWI, where they basically use machine guns as short range artillery, sending streams of bullets high up in pronounced arcs to achieve maximum range and a better angle to hit those in cover.

Heh.

fsb.PNG

Last edited:

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Yeah quite the show of antiques in Ukraine. I'm still tickled by what I saw the other day - footage of a Ukrainian layin it down with a modified Maxim, one sporting a stock and pistol grip, optics and a suppressor. Was using it just like a KT machine gun, looked to be enjoying much less recoil though. Saw another pic of a Ukrainian Maxim mounted at an extreme inclination. I think they are doing what the Brits did in WWI, where they basically use machine guns as short range artillery, sending streams of bullets high up in a pronounced arcs to achieve maximum range and a better angle to hit those in cover.

Heh.

View attachment 78520

That’s fascinating. I didn’t even know that was a thing. Reminds me of the torque bow from Gears of War.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Yeah quite the show of antiques in Ukraine. I'm still tickled by what I saw the other day - footage of a Ukrainian layin it down with a modified Maxim, one sporting a stock and pistol grip, optics and a suppressor. Was using it just like a KT machine gun, looked to be enjoying much less recoil though. Saw another pic of a Ukrainian Maxim mounted at an extreme inclination. I think they are doing what the Brits did in WWI, where they basically use machine guns as short range artillery, sending streams of bullets high up in a pronounced arcs to achieve maximum range and a better angle to hit those in cover.

Heh.

View attachment 78520

Here

https://twitter.com/TarmoFella/stat...ing-a-140-year-old-machine-gun-against-russia

Reactions: Leeea