Ron DeSantis continues the Republican whitewash of issues like discrimination, race and this country's history.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Republicans sweating for non-existent CRT in schools yet they sit on their hands over school shootings.

Do they really care about those kids?

Of course they don’t.

Their kids don’t go to public school—they choose private, charter, parochial or homeschooling for the kids that actually matter (their own). How many of these loudmouths at school board meetings have already been exposed for not having kids enrolled in the district?

Reactions: Meghan54

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Republicans sweating for non-existent CRT in schools yet they sit on their hands over school shootings.

Do they really care about those kids?
Yea, but it sure helped getting the Dems out of Virginia government.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So can students of middle eastern descent sue when learning about 9/11

What if someone tells them Arabs are !@#$ for having committed such terrorism?
And the local bureaucracy actually defends this position as educational?

Perhaps at some point, using racist bigotry, stereotyping, and discrimination is a violation of their civil rights. And someone needs to be able to step in and crack down on such hateful extremism. Be it with lawsuits or whatever actual recourse is determined.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What if someone tells them Arabs are !@#$ for having committed such terrorism?
And the local bureaucracy actually defends this position as educational?

Perhaps at some point, using racist bigotry, stereotyping, and discrimination is a violation of their civil rights. And someone needs to be able to step in and crack down on such hateful extremism. Be it with lawsuits or whatever actual recourse is determined.

No one is doing that though, so your point is what exactly?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Ah yes, the tired old game of ‘please back up your claims with facts’.

I don’t know why you keep on with the whole ‘it’s a secret’ thing, everyone here knows exactly what you’re doing.

I gave a link with facts. You trying to turn it into something else is BS. I refuse to play your "Game" and you don't like it.

Sorry.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I gave a link with facts. You trying to turn it into something else is BS. I refuse to play your "Game" and you don't like it.

Sorry.
Are you in favor of what DeSantis is doing. Ban the teaching of anything that makes white kids uncomfortable based on a false premise? (CRT)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Sorry.
No you did not and you know it.

I asked you for an example that met your idea that history could be taught in a purely factual and unbiased way. You responded with one of your usual variations of ‘it’s a secret.’

If you think I am mistaken and you provided that already just link to the post you made which you think does this. Should be easy!

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In fun related news Florida Republicans are now attempting to do something similar with LGBT education, once again employing the Texas style bounties so parents can sue any school that teaches things about human sexuality they don’t like.

But remember, Twitter bans are infringement of free speech.

As predicted, SCOTUS’s irresponsible decision to permit the Texas law to stand for even a day is now metastasizing across the entire governance spectrum

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
More fun times - Virginia's governor has now opened up a tip line where he encourages people to report any school officials who are found to be teaching 'divisive' concepts to the state so they can be 'rooted out'.

In the interview, Youngkin also touted a tip line for parents to report to the state any school officials they find to be behaving objectionably — including teaching “divisive” subjects. Youngkin has issued an executive order and is backing legislation that seeks to ban concepts such as critical race theory, an academic construct about the history of systemic racism.

“We’re asking for folks to send us reports and observations,” Youngkin said, “help us be aware of … their child being denied their rights that parents have in Virginia, and we’re going to make sure we catalogue it all. … And that gives us further, further ability to make sure we’re rooting it out.”

Surely our free speech, small government conservatives are outraged by the government asking its citizens to inform on each other if they find someone is teaching disfavored ideas.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
More fun times - Virginia's governor has now opened up a tip line where he encourages people to report any school officials who are found to be teaching 'divisive' concepts to the state so they can be 'rooted out'.

Surely our free speech, small government conservatives are outraged by the government asking its citizens to inform on each other if they find someone is teaching disfavored ideas.

Youngkin is going to Rauner himself pretty quickly. They're nearly clones of each other anyway with just with more MAGA in the former. Yes, I know he can't run again for the governorship again consecutively but if he keeps up this pace he'll ruin a lot of other Rs chances.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Youngkin is going to Rauner himself pretty quickly. They're nearly clones of each other anyway with just with more MAGA in the former. Yes, I know he can't run again for the governorship again consecutively but if he keeps up this pace he'll ruin a lot of other Rs chances.
I hadn't thought about this much until recently but this does seem to show why Virginia's one term limit is bad - there is never a time where Virginia's governor is meaningfully bound by public opinion. This sort of thing makes sense if you want to win a Republican primary for some other office in the future.

It seems that Youngkin really did tap into the feeling among voters that they wanted a say in their children's education, which makes sense. I tend to doubt those parents were looking for a situation where they are dueling with other parents over curriculum through tattling to state officials, which will be chaos. Also, did Youngkin learn nothing from Trump's election tip line? It's going to be overwhelmed by prank calls.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I hadn't thought about this much until recently but this does seem to show why Virginia's one term limit is bad - there is never a time where Virginia's governor is meaningfully bound by public opinion. This sort of thing makes sense if you want to win a Republican primary for some other office in the future.

It seems that Youngkin really did tap into the feeling among voters that they wanted a say in their children's education, which makes sense. I tend to doubt those parents were looking for a situation where they are dueling with other parents over curriculum through tattling to state officials, which will be chaos. Also, did Youngkin learn nothing from Trump's election tip line? It's going to be overwhelmed by prank calls.

His successful campaign was two faced. Presented as one thing to the base and another to persuadable voters who would be turned off by a fire breathing MAGA type in the mold of say DeSantis. Now having obtained power he's definitely showing up as the 2nd one and if the swing votes that pushed him over feel deceived the party is likely to feel it in subsequent elections. I get the feeling Youngkin would like to run for president but wouldn't everyone lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
His successful campaign was two faced. Presented as one thing to the base and another to persuadable voters who would be turned off by a fire breathing MAGA type in the mold of say DeSantis. Now having obtained power he's definitely showing up as the 2nd one and if the swing votes that pushed him over feel deceived the party is likely to feel it in subsequent elections. I get the feeling Youngkin would like to run for president but wouldn't everyone lol.
It seems the current Republican playbook for winning the presidency is play to the base to the maximum to win the primary and just hope that electoral college bias and the random swings of electoral fortune take you over the top. At least from here it looks to be a strategy that is not even remotely interested in winning a majority of voters over anymore, which seems very bad for the long term health of the country. The majority is only going to put up with minority rule for so long.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At least from here it looks to be a strategy that is not even remotely interested in winning a majority of voters over anymore, which seems very bad for the long term health of the country. The majority is only going to put up with minority rule for so long.

Republicans, not satisfied with a massive structural advantage which the public is usually content to ignore, will certainly overreach soon and cause a legitimacy crisis.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

This will end well…

New Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin is begging Virginia parents to call his tip line to report teachers for teaching “divisive” subjects.

Ah, finally a place I can vent my second grade outrage I felt when I discovered the word “yot” was supposed to be spelled “yacht”. Who the fuck is responsible for that!?!?! ..

Hello, is this the Youngkin tipline? I have a fifth-grade teacher in my district who is teaching…[gasp!] LONG DIVISION!!” And THEN this teacher then insisted my little Jaden had to carry the 3! He’s much to delicate to be carrying a 3!”

“Hello, is this the Youngkin tipline? My daughter’s drama class is full of Thespians!"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Eventually Republicans want to ban all social studies except "America is great". This mentality caused a district in PA to ban the discussion of Jan 6.

Republicans who don't want civil rights and the issues of race taught aren't interested in the truth or learning it's their version of doctrine

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Eventually Republicans want to ban all social studies except "America is great". This mentality caused a district in PA to ban the discussion of Jan 6.

Republicans who don't want civil rights and the issues of race taught aren't interested in the truth or learning it's their version of doctrine
I don't think they even care about 'America is great' - they clearly have no problem with trashing America when liberals are running it.

What they care about is that 'American conservatism' is great. They would be fine with teaching the civil rights movement if you taught it was great and successful because conservatives supported it, for example. What they want is their emotional needs validated, they are perfectly happy to go along with whatever fiction you want to invent so long as it accomplishes that.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think they even care about 'America is great' - they clearly have no problem with trashing America when liberals are running it.

What they care about is that 'American conservatism' is great. They would be fine with teaching the civil rights movement if you taught it was great and successful because conservatives supported it, for example. What they want is their emotional needs validated, they are perfectly happy to go along with whatever fiction you want to invent so long as it accomplishes that.

What they care about is the idyllic time when “America” was great. Not even sure they know the dates of such time. It’s about emotional needs and validation, as you have said, because their base is driven by only emotion. Logic is not even considered. The times they harken back to would reject their base and them as illegitimate, but in their fantasy world, everything is wonderful.

I just watched a press conference where DeathSantis was ranting against the FDA’s rejection of the monoclonal antibody treatments. He said, “It came out if nowhere.” Was be not listening when everyone was saying it was not effective against Omicron? Listen, why would you do that when you can run your mouth. He was blaming everything on the Biden administration. Say stuff like, “I do not understand why they would remove this. Even if it had a 50%, 25%, 10% effectiveness, it’s better than nothing.” I guess he missed the fact that the maker, Eli Lilly, said they agreed with this decision. If only he had the same opinion of the most effective treatment, a vaccine.

The local news interviewed someone who got a treatment recently and they did not understand the change either since it was so effective for her THIRD bout of COVID. This time she was feeling better the day after getting the monoclonal treatment, unlike the other times where COVID symptoms lasted for months. What? You never thought to get vaccinated and you had COVID two times with months long symptoms? Maybe the fourth times the charm for her. WOW.

I know, (someone here will say he’s not against the vaccine) he just feels his supporters want choice. I guess they just like the choice to be white, not offended by being white, not reminded of what you or whites did in the past and that parents need to be involved in their child’s education. Well there is an option for that, home schooling. Parents can do that and be in control.

But hey, the libtards are the snowflakes. What a loser.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No you did not and you know it.

I asked you for an example that met your idea that history could be taught in a purely factual and unbiased way. You responded with one of your usual variations of ‘it’s a secret.’

If you think I am mistaken and you provided that already just link to the post you made which you think does this. Should be easy!

I stated my stance with a link about blacks and slavery etc... with a link.

THEN

You requested that I provide you with something that proves history could be taught in a purely factual and unbiased way. Of which I refused as it is a stupid request ( and you knew it was when you made it). This is your "game" that I refused to participate in.

I said history should be taught via the facts in an unbiased way.

Do you agree or disagree with that statement? A simple yes or no will do.

Now we all know that nothing is without some bias intentional or not. We are all biased, that is just a fact of life. We should strive for unbiased factual history or as close as we can make it. As we see it happening now some people are steering or attempting to overcompensate in both directions depending on which side you want to look at.

Take it or leave it...

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I stated my stance with a link about blacks and slavery etc... with a link.

THEN

You requested that I provide you with something that proves history could be taught in a purely factual and unbiased way. Of which I refused as it is a stupid request ( and you knew it was when you made it). This is your "game" that I refused to participate in.

I said history should be taught via the facts in an unbiased way.

Do you agree or disagree with that statement? A simple yes or no will do.

Now we all know that nothing is without some bias intentional or not. We are all biased, that is just a fact of life. We should strive for unbiased factual history or as close as we can make it. As we see it happening now some people are steering or attempting to overcompensate in both directions depending on which side you want to look at.

Take it or leave it...
You’re contradicting yourself by saying history should be taught in a way you admit is impossible.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You’re contradicting yourself by saying history should be taught in a way you admit is impossible.

More games...

"I said history should be taught via the facts in an unbiased way. "

"We should strive for unbiased factual history or as close as we can make it. "

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z