Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Jesus H christ!...the wall is not popular. Some seem to be under the delusion that Everybody that voted for Trump supported the wall then or supports the wall today. The numbers are even lower when he uses the wall to shut down the government. Another delusion is that every person that voted for Trump 2 years ago, have the same feelings today..Hardly!. Down here we see many Trump voters come into our shop. There are 2 kinds of Trump voters. There are the ball licking Trumpers who support him no MATTER what abomination he performs. Then...There are the "I voted for Trump because he wasn't Hillary" voter. These are the voters we see on a daily basis who, have complete buyers remorse and, in fact..most of these voters thought Trumps "I will build a wall and have Mexico pay for it" was a fucking joke. One of his bullshit "vote for me" claims and these voters really didn't think he would be, 2 years later, so obsessed about this wall. So again. The - wall - is - not - popular today 2 years later.

Plus..Trump and the Republicans had 2 freakin years of complete control of all 3 branches of government and still couldn't get the funding for his so called "signature, number 1, bestest campaign promise". So again...The - wall - is - not - popular.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 1816

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Is he really stupid enough to think he can put the money "saved" by the shutdown into a personal slush fund to pay for his wall? Yeah, I know he's as dumb as a bag of rocks, but a good thief at least has some animal cunning to fall back on. Who has enabled him all these years so he can think he's a savvy businessman? First it was Daddy, then Vladdy.

I know they've got a lot of emotional capital invested in this clown and are loath to admit they were wrong and cut their losses.It would be interesting to find out what percentage of Donny Two-scoops believers are also FEC fans. I'd bet it is way higher than the general population's.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You dissmissed someone who provided you more updated relevent data with a thanks for the wall of text smart ass remark. So where do you personally come down on the wall? Do you think it is a waste of frunds and ineffective?
Personally, if the wall can't cover the entire terrain (which is unlikely) then why bother. There are other things we can do to protect our border.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Guys, despite having about the most consistently low approval rating for a president in modern history Trump is a popular president because 42% of people approve of him.

I, for one, am glad that we got new math this Christmas!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The midterms weren’t a referendum on the wall, it was a referendum on Trump. You think people showed up to the ballot box to cast the vote against the wall, that it was this big driving force lol?

It's funny that you think everyone that voted for Trump, already a minority of people, wanted that stupid wall. I'm sure it was a majority of Trump supporters, but a majority population within a minority population is still a starkly unpopular group of people, or idea.

Do you understand how that works?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Agreed. The reason the Dems dug in isn’t because it’s a waste of money. This would be a symbol of a Trump victory, that’s it. I mean pretty much that’s frickin it.

I like how you just invented an interpretation that completely rejects all known published evidence regarding this issue.

Reactions: greatnoob

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's funny that you think everyone that voted for Trump, already a minority of people, wanted that stupid wall. I'm sure it was a majority of Trump supporters, but a majority population within a minority population is still a starkly unpopular group of people, or idea.

Do you understand how that works?

Also he argued earlier that when people voted for Trump they were voting for the wall but now he's saying when people voted against Trump they aren't voting against the wall. You can't have it both ways.

Exit polls in the midterms showed that voting against Trump and his policies was the single largest factor. The American people wanted what Trump is doing stopped in its tracks and reversed - that includes the wall.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Agreed. And the reason the government is currently shut down is because he wants that symbol and he Dems can’t let him have it. It has nothing to do with money. And imo very little to do with border enforcement. This is a political battle over a political symbol and rich political scum are battling it out in DC to see who gets to claim symbolic victory and the US is along for the ride.

Then you should thank the democrats for protecting retarded conservatives against their own worst instincts: the wall would be a giant, fortified boondoggle that stands for decades as a physical symbol of their worst habits, their worst ideas, and their destructive vanity. It won't do anything to protect to border; it will only serve as a symbol of Republican fascist pride for the next two generations of humans that have to deal with it before tearing it down.

You want to erect a better physical monument to the moment the GOP died? Build that stupid wall. Or, you know, grow the fuck up and rejoin the adults in the room.

Oh, but "I don't want the wall! I just want people to do what his people want him to do!" Bull fucking shit, UC. You want the fucking wall. No goddamn support of building this thing, from any perspective, is anything but wanting it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I agree. I never used the word "most". Thanks for the wall of text though.

But why are you quibbling over something that only 22% (of certifiably retarded) people want? Isn't your energy best spent doing something else...like firing guns at trees?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
But why are you quibbling over something that only 22% (of certifiably retarded) people want? Isn't your energy best spent doing something else...like firing guns at trees?

The fact you think 55 million or so people in the US are "certifiably retarded" shows me you arent capable of discussion with those whose opinion differs from yours. So why bother explaining?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The fact you think 55 million or so people in the US are "certifiably retarded" shows me you arent capable of discussion with those whose opinion differs from yours. So why bother explaining?

While 'certifiably retarded' seems a bit ridiculous it is pretty mind boggling that even a single person would have thought that someone widely known to be a lifelong racist and con man would be a good idea for president. I'm not talking about policy disagreements, I'm just talking about voting for someone who was obviously, comically lying to everyone and barely trying to hide it. It certainly shows exceptionally poor judgment if nothing else.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
While 'certifiably retarded' seems a bit ridiculous it is pretty mind boggling that even a single person would have thought that someone widely known to be a lifelong racist and con man would be a good idea for president. I'm not talking about policy disagreements, I'm just talking about voting for someone who was obviously, comically lying to everyone and barely trying to hide it. It certainly shows exceptionally poor judgment if nothing else.

IMHO it comes down to most people (my unscientific wild ass guess is 75%) make their voting decisions based on sound bytes on the 5oclock news/talking head shows on their favorite news channel. Most people simply don't investigate the choices.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If Trump ever gets His Wall built and thinks it would be a monument to his popularity and the cunning he displayed to get it, well, I wish he'd get real about it and know that that wall of his would, out of "popularity" be known as "Trump's Stupid Wall that Mexico Never Paid For" and laughed at the world over, especially from those folks south of the border.

It's not so much that the wall should exist to stop illegal immigration. Rather, it is much more so a convoluted disingenuous rallying call to arms and unity that Trump tossed out there along with other such inane mantras like "Lock her up" and "MAGA".

The only way Mexico will pay for that wall is if each illegal immigrant from that nation gets charged a toll fee on their way in or out. /s

The functional purpose of the wall has never been the priority for folks on either side of the issue. Trump and his feckless fruitcake Repubs in Congress have been using it as a means to shore up support for the party whilst the Dems have been calling it for what it is: a very high priced boondoggle of which serves no practical purpose.

Methinks the only person benefiting from this controversy is McConnell because it's been giving him fantastic cover for doing what he does best: skulking around behind the "Wall-o-Trump" passing laws hidden under stacks of innocent looking legislation.

That's where the real action is.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Personally, if the wall can't cover the entire terrain (which is unlikely) then why bother. There are other things we can do to protect our border.
but if it could, would you then think it would be the priority? The most efficient use of funds?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
IMHO it comes down to most people (my unscientific wild ass guess is 75%) make their voting decisions based on sound bytes on the 5oclock news/talking head shows on their favorite news channel. Most people simply don't investigate the choices.

I think it comes down to tribalism and the news has limited effect at best. Polls show that Republican voters knew who he was, they knew he was a con man, they knew he was a liar, and they knew he was wildly immoral. It's also not like he was some unknown, he's been doing this for decades. They simply didn't care because he wasn't the Hated Hillary.

People were so caught up in their partisan identity that they can't even put it aside when confronted with someone this manifestly unfit for the job. That inability to put country before party shows exceptionally, exceptionally poor judgment and now we're all paying the price.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The GOP finagled a tax cut for the rich w/o 60 votes & then there's the small matter of SCOTUS confirmations.

They consider Judges another matter entirely.

As for legislation, the exception proves the rule.

The Republican tax reform bill will live and die by this obscure Senate rule
The tax reform bill they are pushing through the Senate will live and die by a complicated rule — known as the “Byrd Rule,” a condition of the “budget reconciliation” process that allows Republicans to pass legislation with only 51 votes in the Senate.

McConnell rejects using nuclear option on wall
He [Sen. Orrin Hatch] said the Senate’s traditional 60-vote threshold for quashing a filibuster “has prevented our country for decades from sliding toward liberalism.”

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They consider Judges another matter entirely.

As for legislation, the exception proves the rule.

The Republican tax reform bill will live and die by this obscure Senate rule
The tax reform bill they are pushing through the Senate will live and die by a complicated rule — known as the “Byrd Rule,” a condition of the “budget reconciliation” process that allows Republicans to pass legislation with only 51 votes in the Senate.

McConnell rejects using nuclear option on wall
He [Sen. Orrin Hatch] said the Senate’s traditional 60-vote threshold for quashing a filibuster “has prevented our country for decades from sliding toward liberalism.”

Again though, to be clear this is the case because McConnell CHOOSES for it to be the case. Republicans don't want to eliminate the filibuster because they know if that happens Democrats will use a simple majority to pass lots of popular and progressive legislation they will never be rid of. If the Republicans wanted to they could nuke the filibuster and pass all their preferred legislation right now.

We should not confuse their legislative maneuvering to be some insurmountable obstacle to governance. They could surmount it, they just don't want to. They are putting their own policy preferences ahead of governance.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Donald the Scrooge says that "many" federal workers have told him they want to go without pay until he gets his wall.

Who would contradict a boss that had no qualms at all about throwing an underling to the wolves?

I listened to to the whole 9:13 video and man, it's hard to listen to. He contradicts himself constantly. He leaves thoughts unfinished regularly. At his best he barely makes sense at all and a good portion of the time he does he's also lying. For the first time in his life, Trump is experiencing serious push back. For him, the default position when all else fails is to make up lies, and more lies.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trump voters acted like a lynch mob in the run up to the 2016 election. The induced emotional froth overcame their ability to think coherently.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think it comes down to tribalism and the news has limited effect at best. Polls show that Republican voters knew who he was, they knew he was a con man, they knew he was a liar, and they knew he was wildly immoral. It's also not like he was some unknown, he's been doing this for decades. They simply didn't care because he wasn't the Hated Hillary.

People were so caught up in their partisan identity that they can't even put it aside when confronted with someone this manifestly unfit for the job. That inability to put country before party shows exceptionally, exceptionally poor judgment and now we're all paying the price.

I see this all the time..The hardcore supporters, two years later after the abomination that has been created...They're not trying to defend Trump, per say, they're trying to defend their own ego. As long as they can convince themselves that Trump is doing something good, anything at all, it means that they don't have to admit making a mistake in supporting him.

Now..that in itself is becoming very hard to rationalize..

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Donald the Scrooge says that "many" federal workers have told him they want to go without pay until he gets his wall.

Who would contradict a boss that had no qualms at all about throwing an underling to the wolves?

I listened to to the whole 9:13 video and man, it's hard to listen to. He contradicts himself constantly. He leaves thoughts unfinished regularly. At his best he barely makes sense at all and a good portion of the time he does he's also lying. For the first time in his life, Trump is experiencing serious push back. For him, the default position when all else fails is to make up lies, and more lies.

I would love for the news to follow up with these federal workers in order to verify they don't want to get paid until the wall is funded. I will be as shocked as anyone else when Trump cannot supply their names.