Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
^ Cross posting to this topic.

And you know what? I love this scenario. Take it to court, use Trump's words - then convince his lawyers to declare Trump unfit to stand trial. Too incompetent, low IQ, however they wish to define it. He's not fit to have his word taken. "Save" the wall ed against him in their ruling on the at the Court, but pave the way for the 25th.
I heard a lawyer on MSNBC say that Trump’s words won’t be used against him in their ruling.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I made it about 4 minutes into the address and had to turn it off. Finished it in bits. Ugh. I'm so tired of this mentally ill child embarrassing us like this, he sounds like he flunked out of the 5th grade. No real details, just mostly lies and meandering tripe based on "some people are saying," with an emphasis on self congratulation.

Mexico is going to pay for it!
Ok, you're going to pay for it!
Ok ok, the troops are going to pay for it, and hey look free Constitution sodomy.

It wasn't an emergency for 24 months of complete government control, but now we're dealing with a 9/11 or Iran Hostage level situation? At least Trump put himself on tape admitted he didn't have to do it hahaha. Grow a spine any day now republicans. Surely you can apply the same principle to this as you did with the filibuster/Reid, or have Trump and Hannity worked you too far into a mindless lather again?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Just saving face?

"Legal observers expect the courts to impose an injunction on this national-emergency declaration as soon as it is made. Indeed, the president made the judiciary’s work easier on Friday when he admitted that he “didn’t need to do this,” a confession that there is, in fact, no ongoing national emergency. A judicial quagmire is the GOP’s fondest hope. That way, Trump can say he’s fighting for his wall in every possible way, and Republicans in Congress can cede their authority to check the executive branch by insisting that the whole matter is out of their hands. And all without ever having to expropriate private property along the border or prove the dubious efficacy of a physical wall. Everybody wins!"

"This is an especially dangerous game, in part because it further degrades the Madisonian scheme in which each branch of government is supposed to be a jealous steward of its constitutional prerogatives. Articles I and II seem especially eager to surrender their authority to Article III, if only to evade responsibility for having to execute their responsibilities. Trump’s game is dangerous, too, because it is contemptuous of Congress’s verdict on this domestic policy dispute. The president will radically expand the definition of what constitutes an emergency, the relevant statutes of which are supposed to be applied only when Congress cannot be consulted on the matter in a timely fashion. By appealing to the military to resolve a domestic policy dispute, Trump is actively eroding America’s sense of civic propriety."

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I wonder what conservatives think about the executive branch of the federal government declaring a transparently fake emergency in order to fund his domestic spending priorities denied to him by Congress, seize land from American citizens, all to make something that won’t even work.

Considering conservatives view Regan as a god even after doing something Congress specifically forbid him to do, I'm guessing conservatives think he's the next coming of Christ.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Methinks a lot of folks who voted for Trump are now solidly fixed between that proverbial cold hard rock and that very icky unforgiving hard place.

On the one hand, they desperately want to believe and are resolutely standing by the notion that they were absolutely right to choose Trump as their leader yet on the other hand they are seeing Trump systematically attack their rule of law, their cherished constitution, our own intelligence agencies and justice dept. and lie and lie and lie his way into proving he's right about everything else he's been lying about.

In the real world being loyal has a limit where being loyal morphs into being stubbornly stupid and it doesn't take a bounding leap of faith to discern between the two.

That's some mighty wishful thinking there. Unfortunately I don't share your optimism about trump supporters. Do you see any trump supporters in this thread showing any kind of disdain for that laughable press conference? Neither do I.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's some might wishful thinking there. Unfortunately I don't share your optimism about trump supporters. Do you see any trump supporters in this thread showing any kind of disdain for that laughable press conference? Neither do I.

I think Trump supporters are falling silent one at a time. If you went back two years in this forum you'd find a lot of the people so flushed with Winning! back then don't really participate nearly so much any more.

And it's not because we're such meanies, either. It's because it's hard for them to admit to having been mistaken. A lot of them know it. They just won't say it. Meanwhile, they're sending a lot of hopes & prayers his way.