Ray Tracing’s A Game Changer ,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare , and RTX review for "Control" ,Minecraft NEW Ray Tracing RTX Mode Hands-On And Tested

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
You keep saying there are people that prefer IQ over frame rates, which is true. But then you turn around and call 4K "dumb". Which is laughable. 4K displays offer a HUGE increase in IQ. Its the only reason people use 4K displays is for the better image quality.
Come on man. We all know that the only reason is that 4 is bigger than 2. Seriously now, tell me you knew that. Better IQ? pfft. RT is the ONE & ONLY better IQ solution. Welcome to wonderland.

Krteq

May 22, 2015

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
As someone who many times got railed by my lecturer in 3D animation for leaving glossy surfaces stupidly shiny looking, I have to say alot of the RTX shots look utterly silly in light of the PBR Metallic Roughness model that has been around for years - it's not like it suddenly became redundant because of RT, and it just makes their texture artists look like lazy slobs who can't be bothered to make a decent go at it, all to prove to nVidia they can bend over the furthest for that sponsorship money, just uuuuuuggggghhhh......

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd say most of the 'manic' posting has focused on how AMD needs to add a feature. Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall seeing people lining up to tell people to buy a RTX card.

Once AMD adds support then we can move into more traditional discussions about price vs performance.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
I'd say most of the 'manic' posting has focused on how AMD needs to add a feature. Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall seeing people lining up to tell people to buy a RTX card.

Once AMD adds support then we can move into more traditional discussions about price vs performance.
There will always be some "feature", some "support" that AMD "needs" to add so we will never get to that point.
What we can do is discuss the merits of said features and support to stop crap being passed as gold or vice versa.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
variable shading is already supported by AMD and has been since Vega,
No it's NOT. VRR is only supported on Intel Gen11 and Turing.

Nvidia still doesn't support rapid packed math
Yes they do, Rapid Packed Math is just 2XFP16. Turing supports that on all Turing cards via the Tensor Cores or via specialized FP16 cores in GTX 1600 cards.

Nvidia still doesn't support cache memory,
It has zero use for games, it was dropped for Navi.

Its an old engine, it uses old techniques for rendering, it doesn't support vulkan or DX12
That gave me a laugh, UE4 is one of the most advanced engines out there, it supports DX12 of course and DXR, and every advanced feature outhere, it's also the most widely used engine, this year alone we had dozens of games released with this engine.

, an unrealistic, overpriced hardware demo.
That's your optinion.

joesiv

Mar 21, 2019
As someone who many times got railed by my lecturer in 3D animation for leaving glossy surfaces stupidly shiny looking, I have to say alot of the RTX shots look utterly silly in light of the PBR Metallic Roughness model that has been around for years - it's not like it suddenly became redundant because of RT, and it just makes their texture artists look like lazy slobs who can't be bothered to make a decent go at it, all to prove to nVidia they can bend over the furthest for that sponsorship money, just uuuuuuggggghhhh......
lol so true.

I think of it like the photoshop filter affects syndrome. Oh, we can bevel and emboss... so we bevel and emboss EVERYTHING! Eventually people will turn it down, and start using the tools when needed, and at the levels appropriate to the artistic vision.

Of course, then the RTX On/Off will be less obvious, so there's that too...

Reactions: soresu

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall seeing people lining up to tell people to buy a RTX card.

How about all the people who lined up to agree with JHH when he asserted that anyone would be insane to buy a non-RT card in 2019? Never mind that (apparently) AMD hardware can run RT tech demos anyway (see Minecraft with RT features running on 5700XT), but if you listen to JHH, you'd realize he's talking specifically about RTX cards. He doesn't think anyone should buy any AMD card at all, nor does he think anyone should buy a 1660Ti or 1660 either (apparently).

The number of people in the tech world pushing RT (specifically RTX) right now is a bit disturbing considering how badly the whole feature has worked out thus far.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
AMD hardware can run it, you are absolutely correct, where are the drivers to support it?

Right now developers have to work around the fact that AMD is refusing to support the industry standard.

Want to play a game? Go back a decade and see what people said the holy grail of graphics was. Then go back twenty years. It's literally been the same thing for decades only now we need to change our opinion because of one companies refusal to support it. It's insane.

Reactions: Muhammed

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Lisa Su said:
“I think ray tracing is an important technology, and it’s something we’re working on as well, both from a hardware and software standpoint,” Su said. “The most important thing, and that’s why we talk so much about the development community, is technology for technology’s sake is okay, but technology done together with partners who are fully engaged is really important.”

“I don’t think we should say that we are ‘waiting,’” Su said, in response to this reporter’s question. “We are deep in development, and that development is concurrent between hardware and software.”

“The consumer doesn’t see a lot of benefit today because the other parts of the ecosystem are not ready,” Su added.

Right now developers have to work around the fact that AMD is refusing to support the industry standard.

Want to play a game? Go back a decade and see what people said the holy grail of graphics was. Then go back twenty years. It's literally been the same thing for decades only now we need to change our opinion because of one companies refusal to support it. It's insane.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3332205/amd-ceo-lisa-su-interview-ryzen-raytracing-radeon.html

Reactions: Elfear

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
lol so true.

I think of it like the photoshop filter affects syndrome. Oh, we can bevel and emboss... so we bevel and emboss EVERYTHING! Eventually people will turn it down, and start using the tools when needed, and at the levels appropriate to the artistic vision.

Of course, then the RTX On/Off will be less obvious, so there's that too...
Odd that you mentioned Bevel, that same lecturer told me every edge in 3d should have a bevel (rounded edges), however slight - amazingly it can change how lighting works alot in a scene.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So where can I download their driver that supports DXR? Rhetoric may appease the loyalists, I want to see results.

JHH has videos, announcements and actual playable games to go with his drivers and hardware along with his hot air.

Lisa Su has..... Trash talk and dishonest assertions? JHH would be skewered on this forum if he said something had no ecosystem support of it was running under Vulkan, Direct X, was shipping in games, hardware and drivers from the other team and most embarrassingly was running on his own hardware through the efforts of developers working around his roadblocks. And you know what? There would be merit to such an assault against grotesque dishonesty.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
AMD hardware can run it, you are absolutely correct, where are the drivers to support it?

It's not an Industry Standard. Stop with the stupidity.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
DXR is not an industry standard?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

Vulkan official standard coming soon

https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/html/vkspec.html

Sony making it a PS5 standard(and Microsoft with Scarlett)

https://www.gamesradar.com/how-impo...-be-for-sonys-ps5-and-xboxs-project-scarlett/

I know, 'Lisa Su dun sed it was no standurd'

3/4, not a Standard yet. Lisa Su has explicitly stated that RT will be supported in the future.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I know, 'Lisa Su dun sed it was no standurd'
Isn't something becoming a standard when EVERYBODY in the industry are supporting it?

Is everybody in the industry supporting it, with products, etc...?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Isn't something becoming a standard when EVERYBODY in the industry are supporting it?

Is everybody in the industry supporting it, with products, etc...?

Everybody could be using it, and that does not make it a standard. A standard is typically something that is created by a regulating body with rules and procedures to follow. For instance the car industry has SAE, and they create standards for things like tow ratings, horse power measurements, oil types, etc.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Odd that you mentioned Bevel, that same lecturer told me every edge in 3d should have a bevel (rounded edges), however slight - amazingly it can change how lighting works alot in a scene.
OT - the same is true in 2D graphics, an almost imperceptible rounded corner and the slightest gradient and/or shadow will have a perceivable effect in a User Interface design. You may perceive it as a flat interface with sharp corners, but the extra contrast and smoother shaping will be there.

Anyway, we'll have to survive this slippery surface invasion until RT gains more adoption and heads towards mainstream. After that game / level designers will again have the final say on the looks of their world.