Rage3d G80 review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
nvidia's current drivers seem fine for the most part to me. Certainly they are good enough to comprehensively thrash ATi.

There were links with that thread relaying other issuers problems. Just look on the Nvidia forums and you'll see thread after thread about 680i and G80 problems. Why is this? Because the prodcuts are still a little premature and need some querks worked out.
The clueless dweeb that you linked to didn't plug both PCi-e power connectors in like theprodigalrebel pointed out on page 2 of the thread... Most experienced users have had no trouble with G80 & 680i - the posts you see on the nvidia forums are 99.99% clueless newb with no clue how to properly build a highend system.

Now, try completely reading the remainder of the thread before spouting even more crap.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Certainly they are good enough to comprehensively thrash ATi.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the hardware that is good enough to thrash ATi? The drivers alone aren't very noteworthy.
The clueless dweeb that you linked to didn't plug both PCi-e power connectors in like theprodigalrebel pointed out on page 2 of the thread...Now, try completely reading the remainder of the thread before spouting even more crap.
And what happend on the last post of the second page to that thread Gstanfor?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1846726&postcount=1

The MOST discouraging thing about this board has been it's Mind-Blowing, Crackling , Screeching and Popping that "Any" sound card will generate, if you run SLi 8800GTX's.
So when you say, "Most experienced users have had no trouble with G80 & 680i..." I'm assuming your talking about those who only are using one G80 and the 680i.
Well, earlier tonight I got curious to see if my 2 8800gtx's had the faulty resistor replaced on them, as I had heard rumors that some people's 8800gtx's did not obviously get repaired prior to them being sold.
I believe nitromullet experienced this as well. Not a deal-breaker and certainly managable with great companies like EVGA supplying them, but still an expensive trouble.

But wait, it gets resolved.
I placed my secondary 8800GTX in the middle blue PCI-X slot on my board. After securing it, I found my shorter SLi bridge from my old DFI SLIDR motherboard. I attached that bridge to my two vidcards and fired up the system with the Creative Xfi seated in the bottom PCI slot.

3dmark06 demo, Splinter Cell double agent, Gothic 3, BF 2142 and a few other games all sound perfect now.
Wow. How advanced. You have to play musical PCI-E slots and use SLI bridges from different boards. I guess that phyics slot was just a backup for this kind of problem. It's pretty nice when Nvidia is designing chipsets to function like the Titanic in case an ice-berg starts to sink them.

But you're right, I certainly needed to finish the rest of that thread...wonder why you didn't bring up the fact that this is the last advice given in it....

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
Well then RedBox, what about supersampling on ATi?

That is a feature that was present in a previous generation, and dropped afterwards. Plenty of ATi users asked ATi to bring it back to no avail.

The GPU's themselves are capable of supersampling, as their use in Apple products clearly demonstrates.

We don't know yet that the *XS modes are permanently gone from G8x - some people are declaring the death of nvidia's combined AA modes WAY too soon. IMHO.

I would love to pick up a G80, but unlike some others in this thread, I can see that nvidia is currently engaged posturing and giving their customer less and I'm more than prepared to be patient for a little while as a result.
Bullsh!t redbox! even without the combined AA modes the G80 still rips ATi's current lineup to shreds in every way possible - including IQ.

The sort of driver issues we are seeing occur in every new generation from nvidia. I can distinctly remember NV40 drivers having no SM3 support for the first few releases for instance.

This will all be sorted with time.

In the meantime pathetic fanatic trolls like yourself will attempt to get as much negative mileage as you possibly can from the situation.

I can enable Adaptive AA on my 1950xtx can't I? If they take that away in the R600 yes I would be upset also. I agree that people are declaring the death of the Xs modes too soon, I agree that Nvidia will implement them later. My question is why? If they are waiting to implement them because it is taking them longer to make them work than fine. If they are taking longer just to release them when the R600 launches than I'm not so ok with that buisness practice. I am sure that on paper it looks great to a buisness, it gives them a way to one up the competition without really trying to hard. But to a consumer that type of activity really sucks. Which is why I made the comment that they would be giving their customer less than they could. It's not that they are giving them less than ATI would right now, no one is arguing that.

Thats the only real problem I have with it. That's the reason I don't want to buy either DX10 card untill the bugs are fixed and they are a bit more stable. Which ever one is better come that time that will be the card I pick. I am not bound to one company or the other.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
The xS modes have NOTHING to do with R600 turning up or not. They just havent fully released a mature driver yet because they havent got around the time in doing so. We are talking about the performance driver thats waiting for the R600, and to me the xS modes including many other bug fixes are part of this performance driver (or could be the Vista driver/forceware-X etc) because nVIDIA wants to impress people. Unless im wrong of course.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I meant this thread, you idiot, although its good to see you read the other thread as well and noticed everything ended up working well.

There are plenty of people on B3D, nvnews, guru3d & tweaksrus who have SLi rigs that don't require "musical chairs" swapping of cards to avoid sound card problems. Once again, the guy in your thread is a clueless idiot, suffering a massive dose of PEBKAC.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
The xS modes have NOTHING to do with R600 turning up or not. They just havent fully released a mature driver yet because they havent got around the time in doing so. We are talking about the performance driver thats waiting for the R600, and to me the xS modes including many other bug fixes are part of this performance driver (or could be the Vista driver/forceware-X etc) because nVIDIA wants to impress people. Unless im wrong of course.
I am guessing they would also like people to experiment with and focus on the new AA modes they have introduced. making the combined AA modes unavailable for a time after launch would be a good way to achieve that.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Originally posted by: thilan29

Redbox I think you've quoted me...instead of GStanfor like you thought. I also couldn't care less about which company makes more money. I'm starting to wish I didn't buy G80 so soon with some of the problems...and some of the "miracle drivers" predicted. I probably should have waited until R600 but I had to get rid of the 7900GTO while I could make a profit on it. Although, from the games I HAVE been able to play...it has been flawless and with really nice IQ. Oblivion especially looked VERY nice and gave some nice performance with everything cranked up, albeit at only 1280x1024.

Ya I did mean to quote you as I agree with your view point. Most consumers could care less which company does better. They just want the cards to work and to play some games. Sorry for any confusion.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I cant wait to see what the new drivers are going to give G80.

Think about the performance increase we got from the first Detonator drivers. :thumbsup:

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
I meant this thread, you idiot, although its good to see you read the other thread as well and noticed everything ended up working well.

working well= having to use an sli bridge from a different motherboard just to get the sound card to work? :roll:

Works? yes. Works well? no.

There are plenty of people on B3D, nvnews, guru3d & tweaksrus who have SLi rigs that don't require "musical chairs" swapping of cards to avoid sound card problems. Once again, the guy in your thread is a clueless idiot, suffering a massive dose of PEBKAC.

They are probably not using the 680i. It's interesting I didn't know that it's common knowledge that you have to change around your sli cards and put one in the pci-x slot then put a sli connector from a different motherboard on it. Your right! This user must be completly inept! Why, everyone knows you have to do that to have a working SLI rig. In fact if he would have just followed Nvidia's advice right Here he would have found out that you just hook them right up ....hook....them....wth?......it doesn't say anything like that on the Nvidia website? It says install both of the NVIDIA SLI-Ready graphics cards (per instructions in the accompanying manual) The manual says "Install two SLI-Ready graphic cards into the two outer black PCI Express
x16 slots on the motherboard." So I don't know why you are passing this off as a simple uneducated builder.

Once again, redbox, this is one person's experience (a clueless person at that). 99% of other GF8 SLI owners DON't share his experience!
O really? Here's one
and this one from xtremesystems. It hasn't just been him. That one from xtremesystems wasn't him.
The second post down says
You aren't alone. The EVGA forums are buzzing with people describing the same problem as you...and it isn't limited to the X-Fi. Apparently people are having similar problems with the on-board sound. There are also people talking about poor SATA performance and poor network performance. It amazes me that products constantly get released with problems like these. My 680i board is arriving on Tuesday, and I'm not even looking forward to it anymore. Aside from the great feature set this board has on paper, it pretty much sucks in almost every important way. A BIOS update and/or driver update better be coming out quickly to address these issues.

It sounds like it is a problem with the Evga 680i motheboard. Saying that the guy just didn't know how to build a system right is a bit misleading. However so is suggesting that most G80 SLI users are having this problem.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: redbox

working well= having to use an sli bridge from a different motherboard just to get the sound card to work? :roll:

Works? yes. Works well? no.

Once again, redbox, this is one person's experience (a clueless person at that). 99% of other GF8 SLI owners DON't share his experience!

But don't let that stop you from trolling like the fuckwitted fantic you are, will you?

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
The clueless dweeb that you linked to didn't plug both PCi-e power connectors in like theprodigalrebel pointed out on page 2 of the thread...
Which would be this page, correct?

And the last post on that page, thus being the last post in that thread, gave a link to the following XtremeSystems post:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1846726&postcount=1

I extended this information to you, saying:
But you're right, I certainly needed to finish the rest of that thread...wonder why you didn't bring up the fact that this is the last advice given in it...
...and you replied with:
I meant this thread, you idiot...
So could you please point me to exactly what you're talking about? Link and quote?
...although its good to see you read the other thread as well and noticed everything ended up working well.
:confused:

You have got to be joking....
There are plenty of people on B3D, nvnews, guru3d & tweaksrus who have SLi rigs that don't require "musical chairs" swapping of cards to avoid sound card problems.
And so now those problems don't exist? There are plenty claiming that they do, and all I ever said was that they need to fix that. Why you're disagreeing with that I have no clue.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Ya I did mean to quote you as I agree with your view point. Most consumers could care less which company does better. They just want the cards to work and to play some games. Sorry for any confusion.

Ohh..sorry...I guess I was the one confused. :eek:

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
You are nothing but scum Josh. No better than whover is busily impersonating ChrisRay.

There aren't any real problems with SLI'd GeForce 8's (at least not amongst those who know how to properly build a machine).

You ought to go work for ATi's PR team if you don't already - you, huddy and baumann would make a great team...

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
There's a couple of people on this board that arent having problems with their 8800 SLI. I think the "problems" with 8800 SLi are blown out of proportion.

Possibly even ATI viral marketers

(;))

EDIT: Besides, reviewers would be all over such a hanus flaw.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Remove Josh and Redbox from this thread and there wouldn't be any argument, but, I guess they are busily earning their ATi focus group christmas bonus at the moment...

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
You are nothing but scum Josh. No better than whover is busily impersonating ChrisRay.

There aren't any real problems with SLI'd GeForce 8's (at least not amongst those who know how to properly build a machine).

You ought to go work for ATi's PR team if you don't already - you, huddy and baumann would make a great team...

That is your argument "josh is nothing but scum" Gstanfor is lvling his stupid skill again :roll: watch out!

Buy properly build a machine I guess you mean move around the SLI cards into slots designed for physics and then throw on an sli bridge from a diffent motherboard. I guess I must have been making my rigs all wrong then. There is a problem with the 680i and SLI see my post above. Many people have been having problems with them.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Remove Josh and Redbox from this thread and there wouldn't be any argument, but, I guess they are busily earning their ATi focus group christmas bonus at the moment...

I'd rather you remove yourself. But, we don't always get what we want, now do we?

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Still smarting over my Protologist comment keys? Prefer blatant lies and exaggerations of a situation to the truth?

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Ratchet R3D
...and here I thought Rage3D arguments got out of hand... lol!
Oh we could tell you some stories. This thread is tame compared to some of the 300+ post battles in the past.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Still smarting over my Protologist comment keys? Prefer blatant lies and exaggerations of a situation to the truth?

You're in your own little world there aren't you? What proctologist remark? And whatever it was, did you think it was so profoundly ingenious that it would blemish my soul for all eternity? My god your a dreamer. What I prefer, is an AT without Gstanfor.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Matt2
There's a couple of people on this board that arent having problems with their 8800 SLI. I think the "problems" with 8800 SLi are blown out of proportion.

Possibly even ATI viral marketers

(;))

EDIT: Besides, reviewers would be all over such a hanus flaw.

Well, the odd thing is that there are almost no 8800GTX SLI reviews or benchmarks from reputable sites. I would have expected there to be at least one huge definitive 8800GTX SLI review by now. NVIDIA's own page is splashed with photos of dual black cards in a matching black 680i reference board, but where are the end users with 8800GTX SLI rigs, and how are their rigs working, and where are the reviews for these setups?

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999

That is your argument "josh is nothing but scum" Gstanfor is lvling his stupid skill again :roll: watch out!

Buy properly build a machine I guess you mean move around the SLI cards into slots designed for physics and then throw on an sli bridge from a diffent motherboard. I guess I must have been making my rigs all wrong then. There is a problem with the 680i and SLI see my post above. Many people have been having problems with them.

Lets just say that if The Inquirer can manage to build build a properly working, high powered 8800 GTX SLi rig using an ecs (!!!PC-chips!!!) 680i motherboard and powered by a 500W PSU, then I hold grave fears indeed for the mental capacity of those who manage to get it wrong. After all, if Fraud & cohorts can manage it, how complex can it be?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Ratchet R3D
...and here I thought Rage3D arguments got out of hand... lol!

Just the standard course of affairs around here. For the rest of us, it's fun to sit back and watch. :D