Rage3d G80 review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Originally posted by: Matt2
There's a couple of people on this board that arent having problems with their 8800 SLI. I think the "problems" with 8800 SLi are blown out of proportion.

Possibly even ATI viral marketers

(;))

EDIT: Besides, reviewers would be all over such a hanus flaw.

Well, the odd thing is that there are almost no 8800GTX SLI reviews or benchmarks from reputable sites. I would have expected there to be at least one huge definitive 8800GTX SLI review by now. NVIDIA's own page is splashed with photos of dual black cards in a matching black 680i reference board, but where are the end users with 8800GTX SLI rigs, and how are their rigs working, and where are the reviews for these setups?

Text\

AT member terentenet has 8800GTX SLi + 680i and aside from an occasional BSOD from good ol' nv4_disp.dll, it's working fine for him.

So that pretty much shatters the SLi flaw theory unless he had some prob that he didnt mention.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
There's a couple of people on this board that arent having problems with their 8800 SLI. I think the "problems" with 8800 SLi are blown out of proportion.

(;))

Well, the odd thing is that there are almost no 8800GTX SLI reviews or benchmarks from reputable sites. I would have expected there to be at least one huge definitive 8800GTX SLI review by now. NVIDIA's own page is splashed with photos of dual black cards in a matching black 680i reference board, but where are the end users with 8800GTX SLI rigs, and how are their rigs working, and where are the reviews for these setups?

nVIDIA said to reviewers not to review SLi. Its because SLi isnt mature yet on these new cards.

Just give it time, and really people are fussing over the most smallest of problems. They are making it sound like the end of the world, but really a simple driver release will help fix almost all of those problems. I just wish nVIDIA release those drivers to shut all these people up whining about having "inferior AA" quality when they have no idea what they are talking about. People fail to realise the potential of CSAA, and that the numerous advantages of MSAA is the reason why CSAA was created in the first place.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Gstanfor, I'm going to make some cliff notes for you here. You seem to think that redbox and I need to be kicked out of the thread just because we don't agree with you. Let's examine the core claims that have been thrown and see who is overreacting and acting ridiculous.

[*] keysplayer2003 shared an opinion that perhaps Nvidia is withholding from releasing good drivers until the R600.

[*] You quickly nodded with agreement, saying that:
...the last few driver releases haven't resolved many bugs present in most of them - I think nvidia is hoarding its driver improvements to deliver them as one big package.

[*] jim1976, redbox, thilan29, and myself thought that if that was indeed their plan then it wasn't a very consumer-friendly business practice.

[*] I then explained how such a scenario could indeed happen, but felt that they *should* first fix the many problems that are existent throughout the newest Nvidia products. (i.e. Vista/XP-Pro 64-bit support, 680i+G80 SLI sound issues, basic rendering problems, faulty resistors, etc.)

[*] You didn't like the fact that people think certain problems should be fixed and immediately began implying that XP-Pro 64-bit shouldn't be supported:
Well, hardly anyone supports XP-Pro 64-bit anyway...The 64 bit extension may as well not even exist...For 99.99% of comsumers XP-Pro 64 bit is irrelevant and that isn't about to change. I'd much rather nvidia focus on XP 32 bit and DX9 at the moment, since thats what consumers have and use. The future will look after itself.

[*] I claimed that just because it is a minority for gamers doesn't mean it isn't a problem. I referenced the fact that SLI and G80's themselves aren't exactly "popular" and if such products had zero support Nvidia would be working around the clock to fix that.

[*] Next, I gave a real example as to what potential problems can occur with one utilizing the best of the market right now. I gave a link to this thread to show that there are indeed problems even on operating systems that are supported such as XP-Pro 32-bit.

*Recap*--You yourself claimed earlier that there are:
...bugs present in most of them - I think nvidia is hoarding its driver improvements to deliver them as one big package.
This is why I said I agreed with you, "they should fix things with XP-Pro 32-bit. A lot of things ;)"

[*] Your reply was "Fanatic." You also wanted to talk about other unrelated threads.

[*] I then asked, what exactly your argument was, since there wasn't any reason I could tell as to why you were disagreeing with me. Afterall, you said:
...the last few driver releases haven't resolved many bugs present in most of them - I think nvidia is hoarding its driver improvements to deliver them as one big package.

[*] You don't answer and claim that the user experiencing the issues wasn't utilizing his hardware correctly. (i.e. not using both power connectors on each card)

[*] I took that as a valid reason for the instability the user was experiencing, yet didn't see how using both power connectors on each card would fix the sound symptoms he was also having.

[*] You returned saying that redbox, thilan29, and I tried to:
...crucify nvidia over lack of an XP-Pro 64 driver.
You also said that I implied everyone using G80 SLI on the 680i chipset is experiencing problems.

And you claimed that redbox and I should:
...shut the f*ck up and get out of a thread that doesn't concern you (you don't currently own anything nvidia).

[*] redbox and myself replied to this uneducated ramble with our latest Nvidia purchases (all outweighing ATi ones) and how we both still use one of their popular chipsets (the nF4).

[*] Meanwhile, you also say that as far as you know, patching Double Agent and turning off AA should fix most of the problems described by jim1976 and thilan29, even though the patch was specifically intended to let users force AA.

*Recap*
...The Clown in your thread is merely suffering from a good dose of PEBKAC...The clueless dweeb that you linked to didn't plug both PCi-e power connectors in like theprodigalrebel pointed out on page 2 of the thread... Most experienced users have had no trouble with G80 & 680i - the posts you see on the nvidia forums are 99.99% clueless newb with no clue how to properly build a highend system.
Someone forgetting to use both power connectors on the G80 is PEBKAC but you recommending to patch a game then disable all of the options the patch brought is just plain idiocy.

[*] You then backpedal and contradict your original statement of:
...the last few driver releases haven't resolved many bugs present in most of them
to
...nvidia's current drivers seem fine for the most part to me.
[*] Next, you tell redbox that:
99% of other GF8 SLI owners DON't share his [malfunctioning sound] experience!
only to have him provide a link proving that even knowledgeable users experience it.

He even linked an XtremeSystems thread that encompasses several other users' identical problems.

[*] After he proves you wrong, you continue your immaturity by saying:
But don't let that stop you from trolling like the fuckwitted fantic you are, will you?

[*] Your primary arguement for me which I asked for several pages ago is:
You are nothing but scum Josh. No better than whover is busily impersonating ChrisRay...You ought to go work for ATi's PR team if you don't already - you, huddy and baumann would make a great team...
I'm still in awe at your intelligence and reading comprehension. Really, it has sooo much to do with Nvidia's needed driver improvments and possible chipset bios revisions.....

[*] You still keep your eyes and ears closed to redbox's links and say:
There aren't any real problems with SLI'd GeForce 8's (at least not amongst those who know how to properly build a machine).
Because afterall, they're just fake problems and fake pictures, right?

Other sensible people who aren't normally in your "fanatic" list (nitromullet) are even realizing that Nvidia's 680i+G80SLI systems are really only being talked about in trouble shooting forums or Nvidia's PR pages. Not to mention your only source of evidence for someone having a correctly-functioning 680i+G80SLI is The Inquirer.

[*] You continue to ramble about how redbox and I should be removed from this thread for asking legit questions about your skewed logic.

[*] When other posters realize your ineptitude, you dig up some completely retarded proctology analogy that only you bothered to remember thinking it will do damage.

Drop your Ad-Hominem side-steps and answer me what specifically was so wrong in saying that Nvidia needs to improve on a few things, namely drivers.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Just give it time, and really people are fussing over the most smallest of problems. They are making it sound like the end of the world, but really a simple driver release will help fix almost all of those problems.
That's exactly what I said. Will it happen in time? Sure. Why is saying that they need to do it such a crime?

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster

(;))

nVIDIA said to reviewers not to review SLi. Its because SLi isnt mature yet on these new cards.

Just give it time, and really people are fussing over the most smallest of problems. They are making it sound like the end of the world, but really a simple driver release will help fix almost all of those problems. I just wish nVIDIA release those drivers to shut all these people up whining about having "inferior AA" quality when they have no idea what they are talking about. People fail to realise the potential of CSAA, and that the numerous advantages of MSAA is the reason why CSAA was created in the first place.

As I've said in other threads previously I'll be suprised if CSAA can't take the place of MSAA in combined AA modes, which will only make the combined modes even better than they already are.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
jim1976, redbox, thilan29, and myself thought that if that was indeed their plan then it wasn't a very consumer-friendly business practice.
Well I happen to think G80 is extremely consumer friendly as it stands (show me what beats it in any area) and will only get get moreso in the future.

The current driver bugs are trivial in nature while improvement would be good they are hardly crucial. I'd rather they work hard on the next driver set and take all the time they need to get it right instead of shoving something out the door to silence the forum whingers (and if they manage to inflict damage on ATi at the same time as delivering the improvements then thats even better so far as I'm concerned).

Because afterall, they're just fake problems and fake pictures, right?
See my post and that of Matt2's above as well as visiting a broad range of forums. If the Inquirer can make SLI work, how retarded do you have to be to get it wrong? (note they used mismatched video cards and a PC-Chips motherboard to boot on a 500W PSU)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Even if they don't G80 is still an excellent product with excellent IQ (better than that of the competitor).
The point is if two cards will become a requirement for SSAA then I'd have to start looking at Crossfire again.

We don't know yet that the *XS modes are permanently gone from G8x - some people are declaring the death of nvidia's combined AA modes WAY too soon.
I'm 90% certain they will be back. The point is they aren't here now and because they're the main reason I got the 8800 GTS it's a paper-weight until they come back.

The worst the fanatics have been able to throw at nvidia so far is the lack of combined AA modes
Hardly. Most people complaining about it are actually nVidia users.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I'm 90% certain they will be back. The point is they aren't here now and because they're the main reason I got the 8800 GTS it's a paper-weight until they come back.
Well, you know what happens when you assume things, and I honestly think you can find better uses than a paper weight for it given how much you liked your x800 that most certainly couldn't do combined AA.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I liked the X800 because it was silent and because it didn't constantly have driver problems like my 6800U did.

But that was then and this is now, specifically a comparison between the 7900 GTX and 8800 GTS.

Oct 4, 2004
Since this thread has taken a turn from discussing the Rage3D G80 review to dissing nvidia and all their products - the SLI/Sound issue being the main culprit - I thought I would post what a quick Google search found.

SLI/X-Fi Sound Issue

Italicized

Nov 12, 2006
Wow this place can get crazy...

Anywho, I've been talking to ChrisRay at the official Nvidia forums about the G80s AA. Saw this thread in it's current state and figured I'd pass on what he told me.

I asked him----

Can we expect to have 8xS and 16xS modes added to the G80 drivers? The performance brought by the G80 architecture would be a tremendous benefit for 8xS and single card platforms.

If not, what Super-Sampling modes are offered by the 8800 series' SLI? Are there any?

In addition, what other AA patterns are present in a G80 SLI setup? Since one card can effectively perform 16xQAA would that mean that two cards can perform 32xQAA?

Hi. Not 100% certain but I am organizing a report to Nvidia on the xS issue so I cant answer youe question with certainty right now. As soon as I know something I'll letcha know.

Chris[/quote]

You're not 100% certain about what SLI AA options are available in an 8800GTX SLI setup or you're not 100% certain about the xS modes?

I've heard that because of immature drivers, the G80 SLI setups can only push 8xAA. Is that true?

About XS modes. SLIAA for the G80 is still in development. Stay tuned on that.

Chris

Hope this helps.

@BFG10K -- Are you the same BFG10K who made this thread?

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21028

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
The current driver bugs are trivial in nature while improvement would be good they are hardly crucial.

I have to disagree with you there. I don't really mind that say xS modes are not available for the time being but I can't even play a certain game PERIOD. That to me is not trivial. Double Agent is I believe a TWIMTBP game and it doesn't work on my NVidia card. That sucks a LOT.

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
Originally posted by: enz660hp
I clearly see the gtx ahead at clocks that are almost the same...

He said ~690Mhz and about mem 2000...... This doesn't show that

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
The current driver bugs are trivial in nature while improvement would be good they are hardly crucial.

I have to disagree with you there. I don't really mind that say xS modes are not available for the time being but I can't even play a certain game PERIOD. That to me is not trivial. Double Agent is I believe a TWIMTBP game and it doesn't work on my NVidia card. That sucks a LOT.

Well, first of all you have to show that it really is a driver problem. Since GF7 and below can play the game with these drivers, I don't think it is a driver problem.

I think it's a problem with the way the game was "coded" (read: ported from XB360 by a shaved bonobo...) that causes the game not to work correctly with G80.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Well, first of all you have to show that it really is a driver problem. Since GF7 and below can play the game with these drivers, I don't think it is a driver problem.

I think it's a problem with the way the game was "coded" (read: ported from XB360 by a shaved bonobo...) that causes the game not to work correctly with G80.

That's fine but it doesn't change that almost all 8800 users can't play the game. I can understand some of the fault probably lies with the developer...but some lies with NVidia also. It's been almost a month and no new driver has been released for their new architecture (I'd expect them to have quicker updates for a newer architecture, to work out kinks). If they really wait like 2 months to release a driver that finally allows me to play the game...I'd be really pissed(of course a patch from the developer would be fine also but they would have to work with NVidia to sort out the issues since it's a G80 issue).

One thing I did like about ATI was that they had fairly quick driver updates...at least every month...and despite what other people on these forums profess, I've never had any game issues with ATI drivers (I used the OMega drivers with Tray Tools). I think the only time I had some issue was where 3DMark05 was screwing up with a certain driver, but games were fine so I didn't mind.

Anyway....pleeease....someone....anyone...I really wanna play Double Agent....some of you mad coders out there...release your own "Chuck (or insert name here) Patch" to allow me to play.:)

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
So, how is it any different to R300 users not being able to play NOLF2 when R300 was new???

As I recall all the R300 owners, Baumann etc, played that down as no big deal. Why is G80 not playing SC: Double Agent suddenly a bigger deal (I'll give you a hint -- f. a. n. a. t. i. c. s.) ...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
This is a joke, right?

Even worse is that the 8800 GTS has even more issues on my new E6600 system, issues that aren't present on the 7900 GTX.

93.71 + 7900 GTX is superb but 97.xx + 8800 GTS is something totally different. The drivers definitely feel rushed, untested and incomplete.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
You are an early adopter. Enjoy the gravel road that goes with the territory. I'll join you around feb/march when things have quietened down, jus tlike I always have.