Rage3d G80 review

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I said there were some trivial issues. I'm sure you have more games to play than the ones that currently play up.

Honestly, the G80 launch is no worse than that of any other new generation chip, and its been a lot smoother than some.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
I said there were some trivial issues.
Trivial enough to make you want to purchase several driver revisions later.
Honestly, the G80 launch is no worse than that of any other new generation chip, and its been a lot smoother than some.
No one was questioning the scope of Nvidia's recent launch, just pointing out that it isn't flawless. Of course, you saw otherwise. (Big surprise).

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I always purchase several months later and not just for video cards (Athlon64 had been out for years before I bought one). About the only exception being nv40, where I caught the tailend of the intial non SM3.0 drivers.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
BTW, mr scumbag, you don't have to be an investor in order to subscribe to investor relations alerts... But, you keep twisting my words... It reflects on you, not me.

Just for the record I'm also subscribed to AMD (ATi's) investor relations alerts - among many others.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
BTW, mr scumbag, you don't have to be an investor in order to subscribe to investor relations alerts...
Why would you monitor corporate stocks and not care to invest? They're just so fun and pretty to watch, right?

The stock market is the most dull hobby around if you don't have money in it.

You're either lying (which has been known to happen before) or are a deranged individual who thinks that Nvidia never has major problems and that people involved with advertising should stop breathing. Better yet, I'm willing to guess you're both. Do you ever wonder why in all of these threads that have arguments like these, no one is ever agreeing with you? (Except for may Crusader, yeah, that's special...)

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Stock watching tells you plenty about a company.

And no, I don't own stocks in nvidia or amd. What stocks I do own, are Australian stocks, managed by a superannuation fund.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Stock watching tells you plenty about a company.
But not always enough about an individual product, which is what the Rage3d review and this thread concentrated on.

Whether Nvidia is slapped by the DoJ, falls in shares or raises, those stocks have little effect on how the G80's image quality, driver support, and troubleshootings for us consumers. If you wanted a forum that talked about nothing but corporate analysis, a hardware review site with gaming enthusiasts isn't the place.

I still have yet to understand why you claim there isn't any problems with the new Nvidia products even though such new technology normalities have burned you in the past with no SM3.0 support for the first months of NV40. You stopped buying fresh-out-of-the-gates hardware because of the very things users are complaining about, yet have been persistent for several pages about the issues not being bad.

If they're not bad, and you love Nvidia, what's holding you back from purchasing one? Why wait if everything you say is the truth?

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Why not wait? My SLi setup is performing brilliantly at the moment, G80 will be cheaper when I do purchase it. I have no need whatsoever to sit on the bleeding edge of technology.

Who knows, I may even wait for G81 before purchasing (my usual pattern, NV4, nv10 & nv40 have been the only first gen products I've bought).

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
So, how is it any different to R300 users not being able to play NOLF2 when R300 was new???

As I recall all the R300 owners, Baumann etc, played that down as no big deal. Why is G80 not playing SC: Double Agent suddenly a bigger deal (I'll give you a hint -- f. a. n. a. t. i. c. s.) ...

I have never downplayed any of those issues(In fact I never played NOLF2 until very late after it came out so I didn't even know of that issue). I'm just voicing my concerns about my current issues and hoping that a fix for it will soon be available.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I said there were some trivial issues.
Except they aren't trivial because in many cases they make games unplayable.

I'm sure you have more games to play than the ones that currently play up.
Irrelevant.

I would disagree. The Catalyst 2.2 drivers that came on my 9700 Pro CD worked far better overall than 97.02 does on my 8800 GTS.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
So, how is it any different to R300 users not being able to play NOLF2 when R300 was new???

As I recall all the R300 owners, Baumann etc, played that down as no big deal. Why is G80 not playing SC: Double Agent suddenly a bigger deal (I'll give you a hint -- f. a. n. a. t. i. c. s.) ...

I have never downplayed any of those issues(In fact I never played NOLF2 until very late after it came out so I didn't even know of that issue). I'm just voicing my concerns about my current issues and hoping that a fix for it will soon be available.

I'm not blaming you specifically, Thilan. I had other people in mind with that comment.

It's a perfect illustration though. If something goes wrong for ATi - its no big deal, doesn't matter - if the same thing happens with nvidia though, its the end of the world with the very same people who said it didn't matter when ATi was at fault...

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I would disagree. The Catalyst 2.2 drivers that came on my 9700 Pro CD worked far better overall than 97.02 does on my 8800 GTS.
I've heard it all now... No surprise a comment as ludicrous as that came from you...

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
It's a perfect illustration though. If something goes wrong for ATi - its no big deal, doesn't matter - if the same thing happens with nvidia though, its the end of the world with the very same people who said it didn't matter when ATi was at fault...
Who are you talking about?

Click
They do need to get their act together. First a "delay" in the actual prodcut, then even after the "delay" the most recent drivers that were around its launch didn't even support them officially.
Click
Fact is, the X1950XTX CrossFire mastercard's launch has been more paper than anything. It's even past their Sept. 14th hardware delay and we still have next to nill CrossFire cards if any at all. Couple this with how ATI's most recent drivers didn't even officially support their most recent cards, I don't know what ATI is smoking right now.
I make the same judgments when ATi doesn't deliver too. The fact is, even regular Nvidia fans and G80 users have expressed some of their dislikes about the G80 launch:

A fear I have about my $650 8800GTX and Vista

Just quit while you're behind. You were wrong to jump on those who claimed that the G80 needs improvments. Calling me "fuckwit" and "scum" didn't help either. Do yourself a favor and just take the hands off of the keyboard, it's obvious you can't discuss things logically or maturely.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I found the eVGA 8800GTS last night on newegg for $420. I was so tempted to buy one, but I'll wait for Alan Wake and UT2007.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Do you think we all can worry about Vista drivers for G80 when Vista actually gets released?
All these people with Vista RTM versions are not breaking my heart with this very sad sob story. When Vista launches, and there is STILL no Vista driver for G80, then I will yell the loudest. But until then, all the beta testers, or pre-release Vista users need to just chill.

imported_RedStar

Mar 6, 2005
as to that fear ..re vista drivers.

nvidia answers in that thread you linked:

"The drivers [are] going through QA phase and testing right now. That is why you do not have them. If you have any further questions. Dont hesitate to PM me.

Chris "

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've heard it all now... No surprise a comment as ludicrous as that came from you...
I'm not surprised because the comment is fact.

I've actually tried both the 9700 Pro and 8800 GTS at launch. Have you?

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: RedStar
as to that fear ..re vista drivers.

nvidia answers in that thread you linked:

"The drivers [are] going through QA phase and testing right now. That is why you do not have them. If you have any further questions. Dont hesitate to PM me.

Chris "

I didn't link that thread to show fear of Vista support. I know the G80 will have drivers for it when it arrives.

I linked that thread to show the numerous concerns that real G80 users have, from driver issues with current games, unfixed/faulty G80's that have made it to certain consumer's rigs, the Nvidia packaging that mislead certain buyers, even the broken SLI AA that the G80's have right now. The G80 is here and is one bad arse GPU, Rachet's review just further demonstrates what the end-user will benefit from when it is working properly--high frame-rates with high levels of MSAA. However, it should be noted that there are issues with it that may cause it to be a step backwards rather than an upgrade. While progress is being made to correct them, right now they are there.

I think all of this will ultimately help the success of G80, especially when it comes time for DX10 GPU's to be competing. R600 will launch after Nvidia has learned what problems exist with its new hardware. ATi won't have that straight out of the gates, making a Q1 07 purchase of G80 possibly more of a solid deal than a Q1 07 purchase of R600.

Nelsieus

Mar 11, 2006
Josh, you really need stop on your anti-G80 tyrade. First you try to make an issue with the new AA, then biotch about driver support for a product that hasn't even launched to consumers (Vista), then try to assert issues with SLI....I just think you're taking things a bit too far.

Review after review consistently praise G80 for it's launch, performance, and IQ. I think some of you just need to quit with the conspiracies and cherry-picking and realize nVidia pulled a gem out of the hat. If you want to be critical of certain aspects, that's fine, but you're clearly spinning your way through most of your posts, and then trying to respond with witty rhetoric when people call you out on your blatant mis-characterations.

In fact, all you're doing is polarizing the boards, and I think most people are getting fed up with it.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Josh, you really need stop on your anti-G80 tyrade.
How am I preaching against the G80 when saying it will probably be better supported when in competition with the upcoming R600?
First you try to make an issue with the new AA...
I haven't made the issue, other G80 owners have. Not to mention another member was told by ChrisRay, the AEG member moderating the official Nvidia forums, that SLI AA was "in development."
...then biotch about driver support for a product that hasn't even launched to consumers (Vista)...
I'm not, other G80 owners are. In fact, I was concentrating more on the fact that XP-Pro 64-bit wasn't supported.
..then try to assert issues with SLI...
There *was* a sound issue with the 680i and SLI that (among many others) an XtremeSystems Moderator was having trouble with:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123829

Since then, I believe a chipset driver update has fixed the issue. Now the only issue with SLI is its broken AA.
I just think you're taking things a bit too far.
I just think people want to believe that the newest and first DX10 GPU's are flawless. If you would have comprehended my above post you would see that I myself don't think the issues are going to be with us for much longer and before we know it the G80 will be being sold on the same shelves of the R600 while holding more mature drivers for it's completely redesigned architecture.

Sorry I reflected the "blasphemy" that other users have been complaining about.

Italicized

Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: josh6079
Josh, you really need stop on your anti-G80 tyrade.
How am I preaching against the G80 when saying it will probably be better supported when in competition with the upcoming R600?
First you try to make an issue with the new AA...
I haven't made the issue, other G80 owners have. Not to mention another member was told by ChrisRay, the AEG member moderating the official Nvidia forums, that SLI AA was "in development."
Yup that was me.

http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prooftt2.jpg

In all fairness, they are working on the problems as fast as they can and know that some owners are not happy. The card isn't even a month old. I think some people have gotten too carried away with what problems the G80 does and doesn't have. Not just here but around several places. But if I was an owner I would probably do the same thing, so with that said I think it is best to acknowledge both that there are some problems and they are working on fixing them.

Nelsieus

Mar 11, 2006
Josh, with comments like:

"However, it should be noted that there are issues with it that may cause it to be a step backwards rather than an upgrade"
"Just look on the Nvidia forums and you'll see thread after thread about 680i and G80 problems"
"The G80's drivers, even though for being utter crap right now"
"The G80's image quality isn't really better than other cards in itself,"

Hopefully that answers your "How am I preaching against the G80?"

Truth remains, reviewers have consistently praised G80 on it's launch, performance, IQ, *and* stability, and your claims are nothing more than anti-nV rhetoric which, again, are getting rather futile.

edit: fixed spelling

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Nelsieus
Josh, with comments like:

"However, it should be noted that there are issues with it that may cause it to be a step backwards rather than an upgrade"
"Just look on the Nvidia forums and you'll see thread after thread about 680i and G80 problems"
"The G80's drivers, even though for being utter crap right now"
"The G80's image quality isn't really better than other cards in itself,"

Hopefully that answers your "How am I preaching against the G80?"
And you concentrate on those points I brought up and supported with evidence rather than on the comments I made saying that the G80 will most likely be the best buy come Q1 07 because...?

You're trying to put me in an "anti-NV" light when in fact I think it has much potential that we haven't even began to touch. That's why I think the drivers are premature.
Truth remains, reviewers have consistently praised G80 on it's launch, performance, IQ, *and* stability...
And? I can go to any reputable forum and see thread after thread discussing issues the reviews didn't bother to address.

As Nvidia learns what those problems are, they fix them. That will surely happen soon, especially with a driver department like Nvidia's. Heck, we've already seen the 680i+SLI sound issue get resolved and it took a longer time to convince certain members that it was indeed a problem.

I trust Nvidia knows what they're doing as I'm sure you do as well. However, commenting on what they need to do is a right everyone is entitled to.
...and your claims are nothing more than anti-nV rhetoric which, again, are getting rather futile.
Rhetoric? It is straight from the horses mouth, and that horse is often times an owner. I've just echoed it.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
In all fairness, they are working on the problems as fast as they can and know that some owners are not happy. The card isn't even a month old. I think some people have gotten too carried away with what problems the G80 does and doesn't have. Not just here but around several places. But if I was an owner I would probably do the same thing, so with that said I think it is best to acknowledge both that there are some problems and they are working on fixing them.
QFT. Why people are upset to hear there are problems is beyond me. What did they expect with a GPU that was built from scratch?