*poll* Which religion are you? If none, there is still an option in the vote for you!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
WTF is bahai??

oddly enough, my english teacher in high school was baha'i and since then today is the first time i have ever seen it written/spoken.

about baha'i

wow that religion really makes sense to me!

so it acknolwdges all the other religions??

AFAIK, yes. it is very odd though, i just cant seem to recall everything my teacher told me about it. i dont have a problem with it personally, but as far as it being recognized by other religions, i dont know.

hmmm I think this is the religion for scientists, coz of the following values:
-acknoledges all other religions.
-all prophets are messengers from god, and they are all equal (jesus, moses, muhamamd, etc)
-should not put down any particular religion
-relentless pursuit of the truth...
-abandonment of all form of prejudice
-etc

this is sort of like agnostic that believes in god but dont want to choose in any particular religion

wow I truly share all of these values!... so I gues sI am a bahai?? :D

These are the values of Islam... the founder of the Bahai faith came from modern day Iran (mostly Shia Muslims). Unfortunately, some Muslims (extremists) ruined these values with their actions not anchored in the faith!:(

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: KGB
damn im like the only muslim person in here? :confused: :( Not cool man. Kinda brings about a whole new perspective about this place.

Nah you're not the only one.... I'm new to these forms. I am a convert to Islam (1999) from Christianity.

Assalamu Alaikum (peace be upon you)!:D

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Havent read the thread, but Christian and Catholic are NOT the same.
Catholic is a form of Christian.

The questions pertaining to god. There is too many unanswered questions that pretty much are a waste of time. I don't pay attention to religion because man is corrupt and that is all there is to it. Back in the day when church ruled. Of course they would agree god exists, there was power in it. They would make things up even and they would find out ways for you not to ever have a doubt in your mind. Like never question god. Some religions have a way where you do more social things within the religious community - therefore you cannot miss church or ever have an excuse to stop your practices. Amish people don't use electical items because it just makes them more lazy, thus losing the ability to keep them busy, thus not being able to think about things, thus no questions. All religions have a certain way to make themselves spread or keep the participants from questioning.

Look at the Jews - they wait for their messiah. When it came in the form of Jesus, the Jews killed him. They still wait... Corruption right there. Just read the story. And who is to say that the story is true. Could have been exaggerated, translated bad, modified by past corruptors.

Catholics have the most corrupt history, - killing in the name of god. Ignorant people in Ireland still fighting over religion.

Religion is here for the individual. Its purpose is to make people feel better about themselves for fear of unsolved questions, unexplained phenomena. Also helps maintain order.

As for how the universe is created, who knows. But one such theory I like is this: A balance of elements must be maintained. When an unbalance occurs, something new will be created. There is a name to that theory, but I forgot. According to the big bang, matter was created out of an unbalance. We are as smart as we are because of an unbalance. Diseases, defficiencies are created from an unbalance.

We question how god was made or if he even exists. What about space? Can something just continue forever? Can you imagine that? Nothingness, and no end. Hurts your head doesn't it?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: jrphoenix
damn im like the only muslim person in here? :confused: :( Not cool man. Kinda brings about a whole new perspective about this place.

Nah you're not the only one.... I'm new to these forms. I am a convert to Islam (1999) from Christianity.

For real? A convert? Enlighten us why you chose Islam, I am very curious.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
"Christian/Catholic"

What about

Christian/Evangelical
Christian/Mormon
Christian/Baptist
Christian/Methodist
Christian/Lutheran
Christian/Jahovas Witness
Christian/Four Square
Christian/?

Seems stupid to me and my religion isnt listed....

SHUX

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti

For real? A convert? Enlighten us why you chose Islam, I am very curious.

Yeah.... going on my 5th year. I was raised in a Mormon home. When I left home I attended Pentecostal / Non-denominational churches for several years. I first learned about Islam when I was in the Army. I trained with some soldiers from Jordan at Fort Gordon, Georgia. I learned a lot about their faith. I had no clue what Islam was about. I thought they were more akin to Hindus (this was in 1991 & 1992). I was asking these guys from Jordan... "how many gods do you believe in", they said only one, I ask "is that the blue one with six arms", they had a good laugh. Anyway, I got to the topic of Jesus and said... Ok you believe in one God, but you don't believe in Jesus. They informed me that Jesus is considered a Prophet in Islam and is the Messiah, etc.. I was pretty shocked.

That was pretty much it until several years later. I began to research religions online (always been interested in faiths). I learned about the five pillars of Islam, the six articles of faith, the views on Jews / Christians, the Bible, and Jesus. I had begun questioning (no offense to any Christians out there) the Trinity / God becoming man before studying about Islam. It fit perfectly with many of the views I had. I went to a Mosque (Masjid) in Tempe, Arizona and spent a whole Sunday talking with three Mulims there (two were converts). Shortly after that, I decided to become Muslim and have been very happy (at peace).

It's unfortunate what has transpired since I became Muslim (911, etc...) Unfortunately, most people only know about the faith from the small sound bite clips on FOX news / CNN. The faith really goes against all that Osama stands for (example: killing innocents / clergy / women / children is expressly forbidden in the Quran). I hope this helps??;)

oslama

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Buddhism is as close to a perfect religion, meaning that religion is ultimately about man and not god.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Shuxclams
"Christian/Catholic"

What about

Christian/Evangelical
Christian/Mormon
Christian/Baptist
Christian/Methodist
Christian/Lutheran
Christian/Jahovas Witness
Christian/Four Square
Christian/?
Seems stupid to me and my religion isnt listed....
SHUX

rolleye.gif
guess you missed the "other" option

im sorry i cant fulfill everyones needs...please forgive me
rolleye.gif

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk
atheist and agnostic

you can be both, you know (look it up)

you are definitely the first person to say something like this that i have ever heard. that is not the traditional way to think about it, and even people in P&N dont ever mention something like this. i doubt you can be both with very sound logic.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
atheist and agnostic

you are definitely the first person to say something like this that i have ever heard. that is not the traditional way to think about it, and even people in P&N dont ever mention something like this. i doubt you can be both with very sound logic.

Isn't religion the absence of logic?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
atheist and agnostic

rolleye.gif
you cant be serious. that has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. everyone that is religious is automatically illogical, right? lame, very lame.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
"dont know, dont care because it doesnt matter"

that is kind of rude. you are saying what we care about doesnt matter simply because you dont think so...nice and narrow minded
rolleye.gif

Maybe if you read it as "don't know, dont care because it doesnt matter <to me> it might have been less rude.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
"dont know, dont care because it doesnt matter"

that is kind of rude. you are saying what we care about doesnt matter simply because you dont think so...nice and narrow minded
rolleye.gif

Maybe if you read it as "don't know, dont care because it doesnt matter <to me> it might have been less rude.

ok. i can go with that. i guess i just didnt read into it quite like that...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
atheist and agnostic

rolleye.gif
you cant be serious. that has to be the stupidest thing i have ever heard. everyone that is religious is automatically illogical, right? lame, very lame.

No, religious people can reach logical conclusions, just not about religion. Religion itself is illogical, but the people who believe are not totally without logic.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Atheist here.

It's not so much that I don't want to believe in something, but if there were an omnipotent and omniscient god, why would he/she/it put the flaky/feebleminded or powermad freaks in charge of telling me how to worship.

Also, if god were omnipotent, then god could create something which god could not move. Then if he couldn't move it, he wouldn't so omnipotent would he. Therefore omnipotence is impossible.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: MrColin
Atheist here.

It's not so much that I don't want to believe in something, but if there were an omnipotent and omniscient god, why would he/she/it put the flaky/feebleminded or powermad freaks in charge of telling me how to worship.

Also, if god were omnipotent, then god could create something which god could not move. Then if he couldn't move it, he wouldn't so omnipotent would he. Therefore omnipotence is impossible.

I have hear this before.... really a silly argument when you think about it (at least to me). This may be a dillema for Christians, not for me. In my faith God would not do anything that is not befitting of the attributes of God.... Silly things without purpose is not one of these. Anyway, not looking to argue... :)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrColin
Atheist here.

I have hear this before.... really a silly argument when you think about it (at least to me). This may be a dillema for Christians, not for me. In my faith God would not do anything that is not befitting of the attributes of God.... Silly things without purpose is not one of these. Anyway, not looking to argue... :)

i will argue if you dont want to. that is the stupidest arguement for god and his power. why the hell would he waste his time trying to please minds (us) who cant understand him to begin with? we dont know crap, like someone said in another thread. we are still beings with limited intelligence, so it may not even be within our grasp to ever understand god. people who use this comparison to deny the existence of god are looking for an easy way out of a complex discussion. they try to use simple, retarded logic to solve a not-simple problem.