Poll: When will AG Sessions resign?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When will Jeff Sessions resign as AG?

• Total voters

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Welp, Donnie took to Twitter again this morning to bash Sessions yet again: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-hillary-clinton/index.html

Question, is Trump just trying to get rid of Sessions so he can get a new AG/Deputy AG who will agree to fire Mueller (or provide sufficient cover?)

I can't imagine any other scenario in which a sitting President disparages his AG, and yet the AG insists he's not quitting. At this point, I can't tell if Sessions is staying on in order to help Trump (I.e. help save him from his own stupidity), help the American people (ensures that the AG stays out of the Russia investigation) or just save himself/save his career?
Trump is close to achieving the unpossible: garnering sympathy for Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Honestly it would be bad for the US to have sessions resign. That would allow Trump to place a stooge that would squash this russia investigation entirely.

I agree. I can't believe I'm saying this as Sessions is easily the most odious Attorney General in my lifetime, but if he resigns voluntarily he gives Trump cover for appointing a hack that will torpedo the Russia investigation. If Sessions waits to be fired (or forced to resign) then he leaves no ambiguity as to what Trump was trying to do.

Again this is a mortal threat to our system of government and almost all indications so far show that congressional Republicans are not treating it as such. We need everything we can to pressure them into doing their constitutional duty.

Reactions: wirelessenabled

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Seems the Bannon faction ain't down with the trajectory of this...

VSOaSXr.jpg

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How many trumpsters have woken up to the fact that they voted for a brazen mobster? I mean, this guy is simply behaving the way he has behaved his entire life, only publicly now. Trump doesn't seem to understand that he signed on to a life of daily scrutiny, where all of him is out to bare.

I wonder what deal the trumpsters made to convince themselves that voting for an abject criminal was a good idea?
Zero.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Man that guy does not disappoint when it comes to running a circus.:eek::p To answer Alec Baldwin's Trump character - yes I feel entertained.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump is close to achieving the unpossible: garnering sympathy for Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.

I know and it's sickening. I think there is some madness in Trump where he is actually doing this purposefully, the only thing he can manage to plan and actually commit to: make the general public sympathize with people that deserve a healthy amount of scorn. see: Comey and Beauregard III.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I know and it's sickening. I think there is some madness in Trump where he is actually doing this purposefully, the only thing he can manage to plan and actually commit to: make the general public sympathize with people that deserve a healthy amount of scorn. see: Comey and Beauregard III.

He seems to think the justice department should be loyal to him instead of the country. That's of course the mark of a dictatorship.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He seems to think the justice department should be loyal to him instead of the country. That's of course the mark of a dictatorship.

Remember though he didn't ask Comey for his loyalty. Despite Trump being clearly obsessed with loyalty.

It's to the point that anybody he appoints/nominates is now real suspect in that they may have not sworn to be faithful to the Constitution but instead have promised fealty to Trump.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not sure, but if he fires Sessions it will obviously be due to his choice to recuse himself from the Russia investigation. If he fires the head of the FBI for investigating him and then fires the AG for refusing to influence investigations into him we have a mortal threat to the rule of law on our hands. It seems highly likely that whatever replacement Trump would pick would either fire Mueller outright or attempt to meddle in the investigation, meaning that the Justice Department would be actively involved in an attempt to protect the president from an investigation into criminal activity by the president and/or his associates.

I have difficulty thinking of many things a president could do that warrant impeachment more than using his executive branch powers to prevent investigation into his own potentially criminal activity.
He's trying to embarrass him into resigning to avoid looking like he fired him. Trump's actually quite good at throwing insults for the low brows, so it wont' be so long until Sessions leaves.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Remember though he didn't ask Comey for his loyalty. Despite Trump being clearly obsessed with loyalty.

It's to the point that anybody he appoints/nominates is now real suspect in that they may have not sworn to be faithful to the Constitution but instead have promised fealty to Trump.

Exactly, and I've been saying this from the day he fired Comey. Every appointee needs to be asked, at every senate review committee, if they have signed and/or sworn an oath of loyalty to Trump.

Reactions: wirelessenabled

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Trump is doing EXACTLY what he said, and we feared. He is running country like Apprentice episode. Sending teams out to solve problems and if you do not give deference, or succeed wildly you are dismissed.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
all i've heard today is more Republican support for Sessions, that he is "pissed" at the treatment Trump is giving him and that he will not resign.

while i greatly dislike Beauregard, seeing him stand up to and call Trump's bluff would be pure gold.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Can't believe I'm actually saying this, but he needs to not resign. Make Twitler fire him, if he has the balls.

Jan 25, 2011
Trump is bashing him again in his remarks with the Lebanese PM. Sessions needs to just flip Trump the middle finger and bail.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Trump is bashing him again in his remarks with the Lebanese PM. Sessions needs to just flip Trump the middle finger and bail.
But that would be giving Trump what he wants...I think Sessions is flipping him the bird and NOT bailing...Basically saying "go ahead and fire the AG, Deputy AG and Special Counsel and see where that gets you"...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Firing Sessions runs a high risk of rupturing Trump's support with the R conservative base. Hence these sophomoric attempts to get him to resign.

Open question on if he gets fed up enough to do it anyway in yet another bid to kill off the Russia investigation.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
House of Cards ain't got shit on this administration.

I think we passed House of Cards a while ago. I'm expecting a load of xenomohrps from Aliens to get dropped into Washington and start being pundits on TV and attending meetings on the hill pushing their pro-facehugger agenda at this point.

Reactions: chitwood

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think we passed House of Cards a while ago. I'm expecting a load of xenomohrps from Aliens to get dropped into Washington and start being pundits on TV and attending meetings on the hill pushing their pro-facehugger agenda at this point.

I'm thinking more like the 1980's show "V" where at some point Session's, Conway's and Bannon's skin is peeled back and they show their reptile core. They infiltrated us years ago and are getting ready for the great reveal.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I think that every time Trump insults him Sessions is just telling himself that time is on his side. The evidence is mounting and if he can hold out a little longer and he will get to deliver charges against the President.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Just try to remember that Sessions wholeheartedly endorsed Trump to be the Republican nominee and for the presidency, by far the first senator to do so. Sessions, unless he's a complete idiot, knew what kind of man Trump was and enthusiastically campaigned for him anyway.

Sessions is getting exactly what he deserves.

Jan 25, 2011
Lol apparently Trump is saying Sessions only endorsed him because of his crowd sizes in Alabama. Like Sessions, who is widely popular in Alabama, heeds to ride his coat tails.

This is just sad to watch.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
House of Cards ain't got shit on this administration.
I agree. Truth is often stranger than fiction.
If I submitted to netflix 4 years ago a script where a washed up, wig wearing, reality tv hack runs for president on a racism platform and wins in pretty much a blowout likely due in part to interference in the election by the Russian government, I'm sure they'd fly me into their corporate headquarters just to personally slap me in the face.