Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You answer calls from unknown numbers?
Yes, most of the local # calls are legit. I'm involved with an organization, my # is 'out there' for the public to use to contact me. Well, I don't answer the ones where the caller spoofed # is the same as my own, lol.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes, most of the local # calls are legit. I'm involved with an organization, my # is 'out there' for the public to use to contact me. Well, I don't answer the ones where the caller spoofed # is the same as my own, lol.

Let it go to voicemail lol

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I do, but that doesn't really change much. What point is voicemail if I have to weed through that and then call them back, playing phone tag? It's only useful when I'm unavailable to take the call or away from a computer so can't access potentially needed info.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
^ I do, but that doesn't really change much. What point is voicemail if I have to weed through that and then call them back, playing phone tag? It's only useful when I'm unavailable to take the call or away from a computer so can't access potentially needed info.
It's your time, you decide. My message instructs caller to txt or email me.

Nov 17, 2019
Hey Mr. Ranger Sir, is that a pic-a-nik basket in there?

bear-tries-break-truck.jpg

Video Catches Moment Bear Tries to Break Into Truck

A hungry bear tried to break into a pickup truck using the door handle in a bizarre but all too familiar moment caught on a home security camera.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It's your time, you decide. My message instructs caller to txt or email me.
It's sports related and some things need handled in nearly real-time, like if employees don't show up, or a participant gets rowdy, weather related, and more.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
That would suck.
Really? It seems pretty normal to me, to be available to handle situations. Suppose you were at a real job in real life, and your boss told you he needed something done right now, or you are the boss and either way, this is What You Do, handle things. How is deferring and delaying a response, helpful to anyone?

It seems more to me (at least in my situation and many others) like choosing not to even Answer The Phone (lol, ridiculous) is not being very responsive, causing everyone else problems due to laziness or selfishness, letting everyone and everything go to hell because Can't Be Bothered? That's not me. There's that old saying, if you do what you love... It's really not a bad thing, to talk, to real people, in real life, on a......... PHONE, lol... I enjoy it, talking to fellows who have similar interests, goals, funny stories and more, except in rare cases where some arsehat scammer calls you over and over, which has never happened on this phone # before now.

How about a real world example, a different context but never the less, still time sensitive. Suppose you have your home electrical power cut off, or whatever, and they supply a phone number for you to call and when you call it, you don't get to talk to anyone, instead are told on a prerecorded message, "you should email or text us". How would you perceive that, as good or BS because a human should be there to respond immediately? If you think that is different in urgency, then you don't understand sports. There are many idiots in sports, but it's a machine and the machine has to keep working.

I really don't understand your attitude, it's what I'd expect from a contemporary teenager... that it sucks to use a phone... like... a... real... phone, lol. OMG! Talking! To! People! ;)

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Really? It seems pretty normal to me, to be available to handle situations. Suppose you were at a real job in real life, and your boss told you he needed something done right now, or you are the boss and either way, this is What You Do, handle things. How is deferring and delaying a response, helpful to anyone?

It seems more to me (at least in my situation and many others) like choosing not to even Answer The Phone (lol, ridiculous) is not being very responsive, causing everyone else problems due to laziness or selfishness, letting everyone and everything go to hell because Can't Be Bothered? That's not me. There's that old saying, if you do what you love... It's really not a bad thing, to talk, to real people, in real life, on a......... PHONE, lol... I enjoy it, talking to fellows who have similar interests, goals, funny stories and more, except in rare cases where some arsehat scammer calls you over and over, which has never happened on this phone # before now.

How about a real world example, a different context but never the less, still time sensitive. Suppose you have your home electrical power cut off, or whatever, and they supply a phone number for you to call and when you call it, you don't get to talk to anyone, instead are told on a prerecorded message, "you should email or text us". How would you perceive that, as good or BS because a human should be there to respond immediately? If you think that is different in urgency, then you don't understand sports. There are many idiots in sports, but it's a machine and the machine has to keep working.

I really don't understand your attitude, it's what I'd expect from a contemporary teenager... that it sucks to use a phone... like... a... real... phone, lol. OMG! Talking! To! People! ;)

Or I get tons of spoofed number scammer calls so I screen my calls.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always answer just in case it's something important. I can't predict what number important calls will come from. Could be an utility company to call me because my bills are not going through, or a family emergency and the call comes from a pay phone for whatever reason etc. Can't really predict this sort of stuff. If it's a telemarketer I'll either just hang up, or if I'm bored, I'll have some fun with them, like let them go through their entire spiel and seem interested, then at some point just hang up mid sentence.

I don't really get any telemarketers anymore now that I don't have a land line though. I think the cell network has better systems in place to block them. I'm not even sure if the DNCL worked with land lines.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

None of this explains why it couldn't just be done via text. Using the phone to talk to people requires a lot more attention from me than texting. There are times when it's appropriate/necessary, but is generally an inefficient method of communication and not a good use of my time. It's half duplex, only one person can communicate effectively at a time, and you're limited to speech rate. Increased possibility of mishearing something and requiring the repetition of words.
I can enjoy talking to people in person much more than on the phone, a lot of communication is non-verbal.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ It's not that it "couldn't" just be done via text, rather that it would be the less effective way to get things done, when things need done NOW, not after several back and forth texts asking for elaboration. I do texts too and usually, it drags out things.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
^ It's not that it "couldn't" just be done via text, rather that it would be the less effective way to get things done, when things need done NOW, not after several back and forth texts asking for elaboration. I do texts too and usually, it drags out things.
Yeah, that's not really a problem I've had with texting, sounds more like an issue with people not just sending the right information in the text in the first place. I'm probably texting a different kind of person than you are though, since I'm working with technical folks, not dealing with a sportsball emergency.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't be feeling too good about things if my life depended on me finding a pay phone in any kind of reasonable amount time.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wouldn't be feeling too good about things if my life depended on me finding a pay phone in any kind of reasonable amount time.
The town where I lived in Nebraska had a population under 7k, and the phone booth on Main Street finally disappeared some time in the early 2010s. So yeah, wouldn't put great odds on it in a more modern setting.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
True, I haven't seen a pay phone in years, but the caller could be borrowing someone else's phone or 3rd party is making a call on behalf of someone you know, or in my case, first contact with someone is my # was listed as who to call for xyz.

Nov 17, 2019
Perception of time.

I was trying to find out when I did a fairly major project. I was certain it had been five years or more.

Finally found the records. April/May of 2019. Just a little over three years.

Stumped.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I finally got my fence post out. Severe wind broke it off, 4x4 post had rotted enough that it happened, but I dug and dug, not wanting to leave loose soil behind in the hole, so I just let it sit for a few days and the open hole, dried the soil out and it compacted, and the remaining 1.5' of post just pulled right out of the concrete!

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr