Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
A Civic Type R however is not your typical used car.
I want to say "indeed" . . . but I won't.

The penurious side of my personality is like 'oh thank god, do you remember the insurance quote you got for that vehicle. No, that wasn't a bad dream.' I don't get insurance. They raped me when I was young for minor indiscretions like landing my CRX on the front lawn of the local cop shop. Now, I'm an old man but not so old as to be impaired "by definition" and still find myself bent over. Where's the justice? Where?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm kinda bummed that I haven't made a lot of retirement money so far this year. My stocks are down, and so is my crypto.

I blame Jim Cramer :)

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
It's amazing how little ash come out of a wood stove compared to how much wood went in. I loaded the stove with numerous logs over two and a half days. Some were quite heavy. 18-24" diameter white Oak split multiple times to yield 3-4" diameter wedges, some a bit larger. Stove was packed nearly full several times.

I shoveled out about a half a standard metal mop bucket of ash.
When they collect your ashes at the crematorium, they won't fill a small shoebox.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I blame Jim Cramer :)
mini rant: I suppose that would be the same JC who proclaimed the recovery of the housing sector . . . maybe 3-5 years before it actually did? [insert bromide regarding broken clocks] I really don't understand why this guy still has an audience. That's all I'm going to say. Trying to keep my karma tally in the black.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Feels weird to own a 2015 vehicle that's increased in value over the last 2 years. Does me no good since I'm not selling, but I guess that's why the value is going up, we don't want to sell them.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
mini rant: I suppose that would be the same JC who proclaimed the recovery of the housing sector . . . maybe 3-5 years before it actually did? [insert bromide regarding broken clocks] I really don't understand why this guy still has an audience. That's all I'm going to say. Trying to keep my karma tally in the black.
No more negative karma at Anandtech, let the vitriol fly!

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
No more negative karma at Anandtech, let the vitriol fly!
The main reason I'm reticent about commenting is that I haven't actually sat and watched his show since 2009. But it wasn't because I'd followed any of his advice. In fact, I had ridden the market down to the March 2009 lows like Slim Pickens at the end of Doctor Strangelove (Purity of Essence, POE, POE). Yee ha.

At the time, he just reminded me too much of a carnival barker and I barely even know what that is let alone having ever seen one. Step right up ladies and germs and witness my awesome but baseless awesomeness. His only actual claim to fame that I'm aware of was the fact that he had previously been hedgie (short for hedge fund manager). Plus, I don't remember if his series 7 license had been revoked or exactly what his backstory was, I just remember it wasn't something that inspired confidence.

Beyond that, no one consistently beats the market. That's just a fact. In biz school, one of my profs was Harry Markowitz - one of the founders of portfolio theory. And while it's true that economists used to be known for making some questionable assumptions (sort of an inside joke w/in the finance community), you can't really argue with the data or the math.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Watching a documentary on the AH64 Apache. My dad was a helicopter mechanic for a while before he took his 20 year retirement from the Army. I just mention that to honor him. I watch shit about military hardware all of the time.

Before the first war in Iraq, none of the people I happened to work with had any idea of what systems like the AH64, M1A1 Abrams, Hellfire, etc. could do. I tried to explain how outmatched, outgunned and out-everything-else was Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Didn't register. Lack of knowledge and/or imagination I suppose.

Anyway, I guess I'd forgotten that the ah64 gun uses a 30mm canon. They were interviewing the pilot about that and I was just dying. He described what shooting it felt like. I'd always thought that it was 50 caliber. So the aptly named cannon was really about 2.5 times bigger.

I'll skip the graphic details but you could boil his comment do 'the gun sets everything in your body vibrating. - including your teeth.' That shit just cracked up. Umm, well of course the guys on the other side would have had a different perspective. But that's more of a 'them' problem than a 'me' problem.

Think I'll go out for a beer. If I drink alone, I get maybe half through a Stella Artois or Heiny-can. But it's the only thing I can really do to keep my hands busy. Should be some sort of band. We'll see.

Reactions: lxskllr

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Feels weird to own a 2015 vehicle that's increased in value over the last 2 years. Does me no good since I'm not selling, but I guess that's why the value is going up, we don't want to sell them.

Last year, I sold my 2018 Mustang GT for nearly what I paid for it. It had pretty low miles, but I still thought that was pretty crazy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So now I'm trying to figure out how I can build something that will take maybe a pint of ethanol but be resealable for when I don't want to burn it all at once.
Some kind of corningware bakeware with a snap on plastic lid. Might find it at the thriftshop.

• Love
Reactions: Charmonium

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Is it just me, or is Curling oddly captivating? There is actually lot of strategy to it... it's kinda like Chess on ice.

Nov 17, 2019
Bowling on ice.

Usta' watch it some when I was in range of a Canuck station. Never understood a word of what it was about though.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Bowling on ice.

Usta' watch it some when I was in range of a Canuck station. Never understood a word of what it was about though.

It's way more complex than bowling. Bowling doesn't have the same "defense vs offense" stone placement strategy.

Maybe shuffleboard or bocceball is a better comparison?

Reactions: Captante

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm watching Guardians of the Galaxy part deux. I really love the insect girl - the one with glowing antennae, sort of like Andorians from Trek but so much cuter. No accounting for taste I suppose. I also loved elfish looking girl in Legends (1985). The only reason I'm admitting to either of those is that no one is going to be able shoot pepper spray into my locker. Nah nah na nyah nah.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm watching Guardians of the Galaxy part deux. I really love the insect girl - the one with glowing antennae, sort of like Andorians from Trek but so much cuter. No accounting for taste I suppose. I also loved elfish looking girl in Legends (1985). The only reason I'm admitting to either of those is that no one is going to be able shoot pepper spray into my locker. Nah nah na nyah nah.

Pepper spray into your locker? Why? Aren't your eyes more accessible?

• Wow

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Some kind of corningware bakeware with a snap on plastic lid. Might find it at the thriftshop.
Ah, I think that would better than the cookie can. First you have to screw the lid down. Second, if I get something that also has glass lid, that should be a very effective snuffer.

Nov 17, 2019
Yeah, that's not supposed to happen.

No one badly hurt after fire breaks out at fire safety business, cops say

www.msn.com.ico
NJ.com on MSN.com|29 minutes ago
Three people were left homeless and one police officer suffered a minor injury Monday after a large fire broke out in a two-story commercial and residential building in Garfield that a houses a fire safety business ,

• Haha

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The irony lol.

Reminds me of a post about a smoke detector that malfunctioned and caught on fire. It became the very thing it seeked to destroy.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The irony lol.
I was going to write something in the vein but think about it. At first I thought, how do y ou continue living if you run a fire safety biz and then you have fire there. But you could also refer to the "nobody died"