Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
This will ALWAYS be my advice except in 2 cases: 1) A meteor the size of the moon is coming at us and/or 2) the Ruskies have launched their nukes.

I was in this precise situation roughly 20 years ago and I dumped it all into a low-load index fund at Vanguard. Increased by well over 3x. Granted, it's been a pretty dramatic up market for the past decade and and it was actually a few sector funds. Even so, I can still see significant downside in this market.

Eh, WTF.

As I've mentioned before, science (meaning science-ish) has shown that the best investments the retail investor ever makes are the ones they forget about.

TL;DR - Is it the apocalypse? No. Then index fund.

edit: Yes. Then, may the gods be with you - if they even pay attention any more.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Well unfortunately last week, we had to put down our dog Bevy. She was an old doggo who had suddenly gotten very sick. Well, today, I was remembering her, and my train of thought went to the Weird Al song "I remember Larry."

Of course this made me think of @VirtualLarry

I guess I had a laugh or two about this, which is good.

Nov 17, 2019
Northern Tool coupon in email:

Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat with Diamond Plate Pattern - Black, 7 11/16ft.L x 3 13/16ft.W

I guess they mean 4' x 8'?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You know what imperial measurement's best at? Absolutely nothing. It takes what should be a simple representation of dimension, and hides it behind a bunch of needless math that makes even trivial calculations a huge pain in the ass. That's why it's called "retard measure". Maybe it's just me, but I'm hoping it catches on, and makes anybody that think imperial is an appropriate way of measuring anything feel as retarded as they actually are.

Reactions: anky and Number1

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
You know what imperial measurement's best at? Absolutely nothing. It takes what should be a simple representation of dimension, and hides it behind a bunch of needless math that makes even trivial calculations a huge pain in the ass. That's why it's called "retard measure". Maybe it's just me, but I'm hoping it catches on, and makes anybody that think imperial is an appropriate way of measuring anything feel as retarded as they actually are.
1653101163572.png

Reactions: anky and lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's not entirely unreasonable. Boils down to 'stuff that doesn't matter'=imperial. All the "colloquial" stuff with historic precedent like old cookbooks. Two tbsp sage in your dressing? That's just an approximation anyway. Not like you're gonna ruin it if it's a bit more or less. It's just a general guideline to get you close, and it matches all the old cookbooks you have laying around. The precision and accuracy of metric or other decimal representation won't get you anything over doing it the old way.

Reactions: Number1

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The US will do anything to avoid metric, I even seen stuff measured in Ariana Grande units in a news article once lol. I guess you use that for short distances, for longer ones you use football fields.

Reactions: anky

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I finally figured out why old people smell funny. They're taking either an antacid or proton pump inhibitor with magnesium. I always thought it was a certain brand of adult diapers or baby powder. Hmm might be that too.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Speaking of Imperial, the ISD is 1.6km long. Executor class about 19km long. Ironic that capital starships are measured in metric :p

Nov 17, 2019
Why can't people spell 'no one' properly? Two words. No as in none, one as in person. No one is there. No one spells it properly.

Noone was one of Herman's Hermits.

I know there are sites out there claiming both are correct. Those sites are incorrect.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm a big fan of compound words, and would like to see them used more as they are in Germanic languages. I make up my own compound words, cause fuck you :^D "No one" seems ideal for mushing together, but the result looks fucked up. Anyone saying it's correct, is objectively wrong :^D

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I know it's kind of P&N, but it's odd you should mention this now....

Seems like it's a blatent attempt to appeal to Baby Boomer pensioners in the most pointless way imaginable. I expect next they'll propose bringing back pre-decimal currency (240 pence to the pound and all that)

Personally I use a chaotic mixture of imperial and metric, like most people in this country (I have several of the metric/imperial conversion factors memorised - 2.54cm to an inch, km to mile multiply by 5/9, F to C subtract 32 then multiply by 5/9, 1kg is 2.2lb...).

We started going metric, my generation were taught solely in metric, then the country gave up on the idea part-way through, and we've been stuck half-way ever since (I think it's becuase they realised it was too expensive to replace all the road signs).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Scammers posing as Amazon for a $1000 fake iphone order have called my phone 7 times in the last ~90 minutes. Different spoofed # from my area code every time. Fortunately the same pre-recorded message starts every call so is quickly identified.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Scammers posing as Amazon for a $1000 fake iphone order have called my phone 7 times in the last ~90 minutes. Different spoofed # from my area code every time. Fortunately the same pre-recorded message starts every call so is quickly identified.

You answer calls from unknown numbers?