Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^^^ Check with Gizmo's 3d printer.
Once I had the part #, things got easy, besides I'm not so sure that a 3d printed gear with such small 0.5 module, would be precise enough, whole gear is smaller than a quarter.

Replacement arrived, went to reassemble this gearbox today and find the plastic screw tab on the side (that holds it all together) is cracked. The gearbox could possibly be 3d printed but would be a significant learning curve and undertaking to design it, in close enough tolerances that the gears mesh perfectly, so will try holding gearbox together with hot glue or epoxy or something.

The whole thing is built so flimsy that it looks like it may be one part after another that breaks on it... rididulous how tiny a gearbox they used, literally 5 cents worth of additional plastic would have gone a long way.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The crickets started their unified waves of chirping today, now have to listen to them every day till fall.

There is a bat that takes naps under my awning almost every night. It must arrive to sleep in the middle of the night till morning, because I've checked as late as 2AM and never see it, only the next day I find the guano it leaves behind.

Nov 17, 2019
Driving down a paved two lane state highway, no shoulders, dropoff on one side, embankment on the other, 55MPH speed limit. Coming around a curve, I see a jogger. I'm on the outside of the curve, opposite direction. Had I been going the other way, on the inside of the curve, and against the embankment, the jogger would have been directly in front of me, completely unseen until it would have been too late.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Shouldn't that be a limited access highway where an illegal jogger gets what's coming to him/her?

I think I'd have called the police as this is also a danger to other motorists swerving to avoid collision.

Nov 17, 2019
Double duty.

Hook a garden hose to the water heater outlet. Run it out through the back door aqnd put the other end in the surface pool. Flush the water heater while filling the pool.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Email from Home Despot.

"We Found These Halloween Decor Options For You"

It's freakin' July. Stow that bile until September!!!!

Pretty soon we're going to see all the Back To School deals too. Man I used to hate that when I was still in school. "Let me enjoy what's left of my summer stop rubbing it in!"

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Pretty soon we're going to see all the Back To School deals too. Man I used to hate that when I was still in school. "Let me enjoy what's left of my summer stop rubbing it in!"
School is far more coddling of the students these days....

Some districts appear to be full on let the inmates run the asylum.

That might not be a good thing for society.

Youtube randomly decided to put up a video from a teacher who has been in the trenches teaching Gen Z.

I might start a thread on it...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Inflation has hit the electronics surplus sites... fans and other misc components, now costing 50% more than before covid, and over 200% more than 15-20 years ago. Except inflation alone can't account for it, was not 200% over the past 20 years, more like 65%. Part of that may be that the low price leader was BGMicro.com and they went out of business, or mostly so, now a skeleton crew just clearing out remaining inventory and no site online.

Heh... at this point, on some of my industrial grade/size fans, I'm considering buying new bearings for them instead of new fans. Then again I got some crazy good deals on amazon warehouse fans but just happened upon those, waiting and searching over and over to find such deals would be time prohibitive.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
School is far more coddling of the students these days....

Some districts appear to be full on let the inmates run the asylum.

That might not be a good thing for society.

Youtube randomly decided to put up a video from a teacher who has been in the trenches teaching Gen Z.

I might start a thread on it...
You seem to know a lot about what's going on in schools today for someone without kids.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I hear things from my aunt who's a grade school teacher, but it's mostly about how the school's primary purpose seems to be free meals, yet they don't have the budget to buy staples like construction paper, etc. She spends out of her pocket at times.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You seem to know a lot about what's going on in schools today for someone without kids.
Some first-person Youtube content is a little too compelling to fully dismiss. Youtube's algorithm randomly put up a video in my feed.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ah, that good ol' trustworthy YouTube algorithm :p
It definitely seems to me like YT recommendations have gotten steadily worse this year.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Ah, that good ol' trustworthy YouTube algorithm :p
It definitely seems to me like YT recommendations have gotten steadily worse this year.
It does suck.
It was the first really interesting video that wasn't "echo chamber" in months, like last November.

Nov 17, 2019
I pay Flo $50/mo for nuthin. (Almost)

I drive a couple of hundred miles a month on average. Both cars sit in the garage over 25 days each month. Since I can only drive one at a time, the other can sit for 2-3 months without even being started.

What's annoying is that there are pay by miles driven policies in some states, but I'm not sure even they would work out less.

I hate insurance.