Paying $28 for a lunch at Taco Bell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
On Fridays I visit my sisters for game night. We stop at taco bell on the way. Lately I've been ordering 5 fiesta veggie burritos fresco style and the total is $10 plus tax. I eat 3 that night and 2 the next day for dinner.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
$28 bucks for one person, egh, maybe at an airport like someone else already said.

But I do get the overall sentiment.

I went to a Taco Bell a few months back and the bill was staggering. Haven't went back since.

It used to be Taco Bell was affordable for kids that barely had two cents to rub together. It was a premiere destination for many of my dope fiend friends. No more! I can go to a quality Mexican restaurant for just a few bucks more.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is somewhat infuriating to see the GOP blaming the Dems for the inflation caused by Trump's and the Fed's loose fiscal policies during the pandemic.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
$28 for any fast food meal for a single person is BS. He lied.

Besides, Costco still sells a huge 10 inch all beef hotdog and a drink for $1.50. Even after the inflation.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Back in the day I visited Denver area (no Carl's Jr. up in New England), and it was pretty pricey. The burger was enormous, so I didn't sweat it too much.

Back in the day, my wife and I could get 2 mexican pizza combos for 7.00 even. With sour cream on the pizzas.

Same with Crappy D's and Burger Queen. Thanks but no thanks.

Around here, can get 12 chicken nuggets for under 5 dollars, Buy one get one for a dollar on the 6 pc. I really want to say it was under 4 but leaving headroom in.

$28 bucks for one person, egh, maybe at an airport like someone else already said.

But I do get the overall sentiment.

I went to a Taco Bell a few months back and the bill was staggering. Haven't went back since.

It used to be Taco Bell was affordable for kids that barely had two cents to rub together. It was a premiere destination for many of my dope fiend friends. No more! I can go to a quality Mexican restaurant for just a few bucks more.

My wife and I can goto a nice sitdown Mexican restaurant, and both eat for 29.00 dollars. I think after inflation it is now 32 dollars. that is a dinner plate, the chips and salsa, and soft drinks.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Ate at a taco truck at a brewery last Thursday. 4 very filling tacos, for myself and wife.

Grand total = $18.00, or $9 per person. Even with a $5 pint of craft beer, that's still only $28 for two.

Never been to Taco Hell, but can a normal person even eat $28 at any fast food place.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah this is total bullshit.

I ate there for the first time in years this past summer on a road trip and for 2 adults and 2 kids it was like $30.
It is the truth, Carl's Jr can be expensive. Still, more so than Taco Bell. But I also like to get 2 different burgers, and a drink and side sometimes.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Back in the day, my wife and I could get 2 mexican pizza combos for 7.00 even. With sour cream on the pizzas.

Around here, can get 12 chicken nuggets for under 5 dollars, Buy one get one for a dollar on the 6 pc. I really want to say it was under 4 but leaving headroom in.

My wife and I can goto a nice sitdown Mexican restaurant, and both eat for 29.00 dollars. I think after inflation it is now 32 dollars. that is a dinner plate, the chips and salsa, and soft drinks.
Yeah real Mexican food is definitely better. I do like how cheap chicken nuggets can be, I have gotten 20 before at Mcdonalds for like $6. But when it comes to burgers, I think I like Burger king, at least if talking fast food. I would get a burger and a spicy chicken sandwich. I am kinda mad that they removed the chking though.

Reactions: DaaQ

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Claims he was at Taco Bell because Fox believes most of its audience eats at Taco Bell, and they probably do.
Actually, he had his $28 lunch in the Fox commissary. Little difference, same shit.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
It is somewhat infuriating to see the GOP blaming the Dems for the inflation caused by Trump's and the Fed's loose fiscal policies during the pandemic.
Actually, it started in 2019 before the pandemic (Trump's and Fed's poor fiscal policies). Which is why we went into a recession February of 2020 before the pandemic.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well I haven't bought take home french fries from any and all fast food vendors because I got sticker shock after not having to buy them for a number of years. I was and still am buying flash frozen bags of fries and air frying them instead during that time.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The burger was enormous, so I didn't sweat it too much.
More like the meat sweats. :p

Maybe food inflation will finally get you North Americans in shape!
Fixed that for better accuracy. The Mexicans and Canadians are well on the way to being the passengers from WALL-E too. It's a bitch to find XXL shirts that are actually long instead of wide here. Have to make sure it specifies tall or good luck.

I can't speak to the OP. I haven't eaten anything like Taco Bell in years. I have no idea what fast food costs now. Chain pizza or a Pub Sub is about as far as I go on the short order stuff, and that infrequently. I was digging 5 Guys a few years ago, but I don't do much red meat anymore.

It is easy to see inflation in the groceries I regularly purchase though. They recently opened up a independent grocery store where a Winn-Dixie used to be. Produce is excellent quality and some of the prices are like 3yrs ago level, so that's refreshing.

Eggs are a crazy thing in my area now. I eat a lot of good quality eggs, not the store brand ones. But have to switch because not a single provider has been able to consistently maintain supplies since into the pandemic. I recall chickens died from a flu outbreak? And demand went way down. I pay 50% more than a couple of years ago. Still the cheapest, quality protein, that I enjoy.

Feb 4, 2009
That’s a big ass lunch, here’s my admittedly 86 cent over budget lunch. Guess I’d have to drop the steak upgrade on the burrito to be under budget. Eyeballing the calorie count it is certainly more than 4,000 and less than 6,000 kind of depends on what drinks are chosen.
$28.86
20D95715-B981-4A02-8A91-6892633BCE05.png
0F7BF0C7-862A-4923-9C7E-0E78F3DFF1EE.png

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That’s a big ass lunch, here’s my admittedly 86 cent over budget lunch. Guess I’d have to drop the steak upgrade on the burrito to be under budget. Eyeballing the calorie count it is certainly more than 4,000 and less than 6,000 kind of depends on what drinks are chosen.
$28.86
View attachment 69104
View attachment 69105

lordy, it’s like a 7-8 person lunch by calories

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well at least they should not be trusted when they say they were not the one who destroyed the bathroom.
Yeah he’s clearly not counting all costs here. If you spend $28 at Taco Bell you have to add in another $100 or whatever it would cost to add a seat belt to your toilet.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I used to murder the 10 for 10 deals at Taco bell when I was a tyke. $28 would get you far too much food for one person's meal, so that guy's a jackass.

Btw for anyone curious, taco bell tastes identical to how it did in the 90's, kinda freaky.

Also you guys need to toughen up your gut if some dodgy meat and taco shells wreck you. Half the food is probably paper as it is, you should be fine!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I used to murder the 10 for 10 deals at Taco bell when I was a tyke. $28 would get you far too much food for one person's meal, so that guy's a jackass.

Btw for anyone curious, taco bell tastes identical to how it did in the 90's, kinda freaky.

Also you guys need to toughen up your gut if some dodgy meat and taco shells wreck you. Half the food is probably paper as it is, you should be fine!

so like, eat TB from the trash so regular doesnt bother you?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
so like, eat TB from the trash so regular doesnt bother you?
Naw, just eat something more than steak and potatoes :p If you can't handle taco bell, how are you going to handle delightful international cuisine?

I've had coworkers just straight refuse entire countries' worth of food because their stomachs cannot handle it (spices, fats, vegetables, etc). Or at least they think they can't.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Naw, just eat something more than steak and potatoes :p If you can't handle taco bell, how are you going to handle delightful international cuisine?

I've had coworkers just straight refuse entire countries' worth of food because their stomachs cannot handle it (spices, fats, vegetables, etc). Or at least they think they can't.
I’m just talking shit, (Har). If anything I’m amazed at Taco Bell’s ability to continually create new products out of basically a tortilla, meat, and cheese.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I love me some jalapeños, eat em daily, but I’m like 100% gluten free and almost all processed foods bother me, as do spices like garlic and foods like onions.

I wish this were not the case, cause there is some really damn good international foods

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Don't care for Taco Bell, so wouldn't know.
But your standard fast food would cost $22 a few years back, is definitely in the range of $28 or $30 today.
Also, that's for 3 people total.

Meanwhile, McDonalds manages to run roughly $16 for 3.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Don't care for Taco Bell, so wouldn't know.
But your standard fast food would cost $22 a few years back, is definitely in the range of $28 or $30 today.
Also, that's for 3 people total.

Meanwhile, McDonalds manages to run roughly $16 for 3.
Bullshit. Iive on Washington state, which has one of the highest minimum wages in the country. And you still don't hit $22 for a normal meal at any fast food restaurant. You are full of as much shit as the guy claiming it cost him $28. The only way you can hit $22 is if you add on a bunch of extras like nachies, extra tacos etc.

Edit:. Sorry, as pointed out, I missed that it was for 3 people. So I AM the ass in this situation, as I am in the wrong. . My apologies.

Last edited: