Paying $28 for a lunch at Taco Bell

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
This, according to him, is what he ordered:

Nachos BellGrande 7.14 (4.89 where I am)
Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos Supreme 3.19 (2.99)
Burrito Supreme 6.09 (4.29)
Doritos Cheesy Gordita Crunch - Nacho cheese 5.19 (4.79)
MTN Dew Baja Blast Freeze large 3.79 (3.19)

total 25.40 plus tax, I assume. (20.15 for me plus 1.51.sales tax)

2300 calories. 3555mg sodium

I know there's no way I could or could even want to eat all of that at one sitting.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: iRONic and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you eat 29 dollars worth of food from Taco Bell, you have serious issues.

Ftfy. ;)

Seriously Taco Bell is some of the most disgusting fast-food around.

McDonalds is 10 times better quality-wise and still isn't really fit for human-consumption between the salt, fat, empty carbs, unhealthy oils and gross additives.

Then again considering what most 'murican's eat daily it's no surprise that this kind of cheap garbage grade dog-food is still hugely popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaQ

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I know there's no way I could or could even want to eat all of that at one sitting.
So he basically orders a meal for 2 people.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Ftfy. ;)

McDonalds is 10 times better quality-wise and still isn't really fit for human-consumption between the salt, fat, empty carbs, unhealthy oils and gross additives.

Then again considering what most 'murican's eat daily it's no surprise that this kind of cheap garbage grade dog-food is still hugely popular.
LOL saying McDonalds is 10x better than Taco Bell is about as ridiculous as Scott Martin's $28 lunch run.

Feb 4, 2009

someone should buy all that stuff and film him eating it all.
I say no way he does.

Reactions: borosp1

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Okay only 5 times better .... at least McDogs is actual meat. ;)

*(note that the included "ridiculous" was intentional... both are garbage)
lol, McDogs. You win the Internet. Congratulations. I always wondered what they put between the bun.

Woof.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
For some reason I always feal dirty/greasy (and not on my hands) after eating MCD. It's weird, like I need a shower and to brush my teeth.
I hope you always wait to take that shower after the colon cleansing MCD'S tends to give a person.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Absolutely. It's nasty ass greasy shit.

And sometimes that's precisely what I'm Jonesing for. But very rarely.

Sometimes, though, it feels so good to be filthy swine.

It's like I've told others, sometimes I'm just the trashman and eat garbage. If I'm 3 sheets to the wind don't waste the money on a nice steak. I want salty, greasy trash that I properly regret in the morning.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Even when I was nearly twice my current weight, that's far more than I'd typically have eaten. It's $24.15 before tax out here though.
If you order intelligently (or have a TB employee that feels like helping you out) and get a combo and swap out the taco for the Locos Taco Supreme instead of ordering everything separately, it comes down to $22.77 before tax. He may not be the kinda guy that fast food employees are inclined to help out.
Ftfy. ;)

Nah, they're both fine, you're just a hyperbolic food elitist :)
Perplexingly, it is Pizza Hut that does that to me. /shrugs
Could be the Gold N Sweet spray they add to the pizza?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nothing wrong with eating any fast-food you like and and any quantity you like ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE.

The problem is that isn't what happens here in 'murica. Lots of people eat that disgusting ultra-processed slop every day.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Actually, I might be able to believe it. When we go to Carl's Jr, it is actually really expensive I think. I don't have the receipts I don't think, but I am sure my dad and I have paid over $40 or $50 on a run. Now this is for two people, but still, I think I eat most of the food.

Thing is, taco bell isn't as good IMO. It is ok in a pinch, and I like the Baja Blast, but ususually I spend around $15 or less there.

The only way you can really get close to $28 at Taco Bell is if you order everything à la carte. I use the mobile app, which lets you get Taco Bell's best deal: the cravings box. It's $5 for a large item, a small item, a side, and a drink. I upgrade the large item and small item to chicken (+$1.00) and the drink to a large (+$0.20). I might also tack on another item (~$2.00). In the end, if I add on the other item, I pay about $9.00 after tax. Getting the cravings box is a huge discount because I believe the Gordita Crunch that I get in it is ~$4.00 by itself.

Reactions: Shmee

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
It's like I've told others, sometimes I'm just the trashman and eat garbage. If I'm 3 sheets to the wind don't waste the money on a nice steak. I want salty, greasy trash that I properly regret in the morning.
I totally feel this. I feel this so much someone is calling 911.

In my younger years after a night of intoxicating indulgence I mysteriously found myself at White Castle. Every. Single. Time. Even when I told myself prior to drinking I wouldn't do it -- there I was, doing it again.

Some people have heroin addictions. Others have White Castle addictions. We all have our issues.

Sometimes my wife at the time would find me in the living room the next morning asleep on the couch with a half eaten slider in hand.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I totally feel this. I feel this so much someone is calling 911.

In my younger years after a night of intoxicating indulgence I mysteriously found myself at White Castle. Every. Single. Time. Even when I told myself prior to drinking I wouldn't do it -- there I was, doing it again.

Some people have heroin addictions. Others have White Castle addictions. We all have our issues.

Sometimes my wife at the time would find me in the living room the next morning asleep on the couch with a half eaten slider in hand.

the question is, did she finish it or did you?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
the question is, did she finish it or did you?
If I remember right a slider sort of becomes a petrified object if left out overnight. But maybe I'm wrong, this was over 20 years ago.

I haven't been around a White Castle in forever. They're HQd in OH and they have none in WV nor CA where I split time.

Their coffee is to die for. And make some seriously good cheese sticks which is what my primary allure was right behind their coffee.

I should consider a pilgrimage like Shmee mentioned. Next time I fly into Columbus I should GPS the nearest White Castle and bask myself in the light of its ivory glow.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Arby's is the worst now. They used to be a huge value when they had 5 for $5 for their standard roast beef sandwich. And I think Beef and Chedders were under $2 then.

Now, a sandwich + fries is about $9 or more, depending on which "fancy" Arby's sandwich you choose. I think I went last year and paid $15 for French dip (not nearly as good as it used to be...not that it was ever great) and a regular roast beef, + fries.

That's insane. Most of the local, very good restaurants around here are usually cheaper than that, if not charging about the same. I also noticed this pre-pandemic, so it isn't supply/inflation nonsense. Arby's just, for some reason, considers themselves fancy now. I think they need more humbling.

Reactions: Zor Prime