Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yes, maps become available in late Act 3.

You should still play through to Act 4 to complete the quest for a skill point, and because Dried Lake is an amazing farming zone.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So do I ....!!! :sneaky:

I have finished Act 4 Cruel... just farming last bosses for some drops before migrating to Merciless... main upgrades would be resists and HP.

Yeah I'm going to plow through Act IV then do some farming.

I admit too, I would like to get a new character going (melee?... I see so few really good melee toons), or re-do my ranger and pseudo-summoner.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Wasn't on but 10 minutes yesterday. Got home from work with a new desk, woot! Set that up, and then my monitors kept crapping out after 30 seconds of running. Then eventually after troubleshooting, nothing :eek:

Had me super freaked out that I was about to shell out some serious cash that I don't have right now. Cracked open the case, was a bit dusty, but I had just cleaned it like a month ago so I didn't think overheating was the problem. Then I thought about it...and I realized I never spray out the video card fan....so I unplugged that sucker, did some 10-year-dust surgery with Q-tips and a Coleman air mattress pump, and voila! She's purring like a kitten!

Anyways, I only had 10 minutes like I said. I just hit Act 3 in cruel. But in those 10 minutes I found a Tabula Rasa and 2 chaos, so, win!

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I admit too, I would like to get a new character going (melee?... I see so few really good melee toons), or re-do my ranger and pseudo-summoner.

I'd like to finish this totem build since I've come so far...but I'm straining because I know Warbands is ending soon. Darnit, why can't they just announce the end and roll right into a new league? Doesn't make sense for a month long gap. I may dry up playing for that short league.

I'd really like to try a spectral throw build... those look fun.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Yeah I'm going to plow through Act IV then do some farming.

Once I start getting drops around 60-70 range using my Witch, I might redo my 67 Ranger, as she has all her points refunded.
I need to check what the latest builds are.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
lvl 62.5 :)

Started in on merciless last night and plowed through tidal island in Act I.

I have yet to spend a point on blood Magic though -- I'm not buying it. What's the advantage?

Last edited:

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
lvl 62.5 :)

Started in on merciless last night and plowed through tidal island in Act I.

I have yet to spend a point on blood Magic though -- I'm not buying it. What's the advantage?

You get the 100% spell damage bonus from Infernal Mantle. Honestly it's not as bad as I thought. If you follow the build you'll have enough life regeneration to not even really notice casting spells, I'm only at 3%? Life regen and it's negligible.

You'll have a ton of life and regen if you follow the build, I'm only halfway done with it though.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You get the 100% spell damage bonus from Infernal Mantle. Honestly it's not as bad as I thought. If you follow the build you'll have enough life regeneration to not even really notice casting spells, I'm only at 3%? Life regen and it's negligible.

You'll have a ton of life and regen if you follow the build, I'm only halfway done with it though.

Ooooooooooohhh! that makes sense.
I and I just happen to have an mantel laying around :)

34yqvrr.jpg

So I toss this on and use Blood Magic and my mana level is ALWAYS low, so I ALWAYS get 100% spell damage increase?
How do auras work with reserved mana when using Blood Magic?

Last edited:

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
0/0 mana is not "low mana", you will not take increased damage.

"low life/mana" is defined as <=35% of your maximum in Path of Exile.

It's the same reason Pain Attunement cannot work with Chaos Inoculation (1/1HP is not "low life")

Now, if you reserve all your mana in auras then run the blood magic gem (which is a common strategy), you won't want to use Infernal Mantle, because THAT is "low mana"

Also damn it's weird seeing that on a widowsilk base, I have like 5 legacy ones on Occultist Vestments...

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
0/0 mana is not "low mana", you will not take increased damage.

"low life/mana" is defined as <=35% of your maximum in Path of Exile.

It's the same reason Pain Attunement cannot work with Chaos Inoculation (1/1HP is not "low life")

Now, if you reserve all your mana in auras then run the blood magic gem (which is a common strategy), you won't want to use Infernal Mantle, because THAT is "low mana"

Also damn it's weird seeing that on a widowsilk base, I have like 5 legacy ones on Occultist Vestments...

Ah right, you won't take the increase spell damage which makes this a GREAT unique for this build.

How do auras work with reserved mana when using Blood Magic?

They take away a % of your life instead of mana. If you follow the build though the ONLY aura that he runs (and I believe he says it's optional) is HoT...right behind the blood magic node (?) is a 50% less reserved notable...so it's only like a 10% health cut. Again the build is VERY life heavy so it kind of makes up for it. I'm at 2200 life at level 43 with crap gear so...I think he was at 5 or almost 6k on his.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
ah crap I read it backwards... I was reading that spell damage (dealt) would be 100%. LOL.

So ONLY wear this item when I use blood magic node.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
ah crap I read it backwards... I was reading that spell damage (dealt) would be 100%. LOL.

So ONLY wear this item when I use blood magic node.

Right. Unless you can somehow live while taking 100% more spell damage :awe:

One thing that I don't get is that they modeled this game off of Diablo 2 in a lot of ways, but almost ALL of their uniques have some sort of negative thing applied to them. I'm not sure if this was part of balance or...to just steer people away from wearing all uniques or what...but a unique is either a) garbage, or b) useable only in certain builds. Theres no middle ground, and the negative affixes on most of them are pretty bad. I think the only "bad" affixes in D2 were like -2 light radius is something trivial.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've always liked equipment "sets" too -- just from a collection standpoint more than anything.

What I always wanted a game to do though is add some sort of "set collection" apparatus so I didn't have to juggle it in my inventory. Have special tabs that are designed specifically for each set and each piece has it's own dedicated "slot". Sort of like a trophy wall, with predefined slots for everything.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
To be fair, most PoE uniques with downsides have them because the items would be either wildly overpowered or incredibly rare without them.

Great items with downsides enable the items to be more common, so more players can enjoy them.

Do you really want every unique item to be as rare as Shavronne's Wrappings/Windripper/etc (powerful uniques that are strict BIS for their TYPE of item with no downsides)?

Even stuff like Mjolner, which has no downside inherent in it's stats, has the downside of insane stat requirements to wield. (300 int and 412 str WAT!).

In other news, my lightning archer is 60 now, only 4 levels from being able to use my Voltaxic. I can't wait - the damage is already stupid and I'm just using a freaking Storm Cloud!

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
To be fair, most PoE uniques with downsides have them because the items would be either wildly overpowered or incredibly rare without them.

Great items with downsides enable the items to be more common, so more players can enjoy them.

Do you really want every unique item to be as rare as Shavronne's Wrappings/Windripper/etc (powerful uniques that are strict BIS for their TYPE of item with no downsides)?

Even stuff like Mjolner, which has no downside inherent in it's stats, has the downside of insane stat requirements to wield. (300 int and 412 str WAT!).

In other news, my lightning archer is 60 now, only 4 levels from being able to use my Voltaxic. I can't wait - the damage is already stupid and I'm just using a freaking Storm Cloud!

I'm not rich and never have been in this game. Heck even in Diablo 2 which I spent retarded amounts of time on I wasn't rich, I just understood the economy better I guess. Runes or SoJ's were the standard (I guess like Ex's) and you knew certain things went with certain builds. Bartucs for trapsins...windforce for bowazons... I don't think I'll ever fully understand PoE. The economy blows my mind, it's like people are speaking Chinese :|

It's also hard for me to identify what a "good" rare is. I doubt I'll ever find one, but if I did and it was worth like "30 ex's + mirror service" or whatever...I would probably have no idea and I'd eventually vendor it for alchemy shards :p

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Blood Magic is actually very nice. You never have to worry about Mana.
Focus on HP, Armour and Resists. Taking the right skills and enough HP and your HP regen is very good. Use the reduced mana cost and your HP reserve for things like Herald of Thunder barely uses anything.
My Dps is not great about 4.8k per totem, however my flame totem is only 4 linked and
only level 16. :)
Now I just need to find an Infernal mantle and get Chaos resistance up.

Oh hit 66 :) .....

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Blood Magic is actually very nice. You never have to worry about Mana.
Focus on HP, Armour and Resists. Taking the right skills and enough HP and your HP regen is very good. Use the reduced mana cost and your HP reserve for things like Herald of Thunder barely uses anything.
My Dps is not great about 4.8k per totem, however my flame totem is only 4 linked and
only level 16. :)
Now I just need to find an Infernal mantle and get Chaos resistance up.

Oh hit 66 :) .....

I'm just south of 4,000DPS
Totem also at lvl 16 in 4L
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Homerboy/characters

I will mess with blood magic tonight.

I can't see anyone else's characters. Make them public so I can see your setups in a browser.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Google "LiftingNerdBro's Flame Totem Build" and it should be the first result. That's the build I'm doing. Sorry can't link here at work.

Yeah, that's the same one I'm using. I meant to YOUR character (and in turn your equipment, stash etc)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
General guide to rares: (of course you want the best rolls possible in each affix)

GENERAL PURPOSE good rare armor-slot item:

Prefixes:
life / flat armor or evasion / %armor or evasion
flat energy shield / % energy shield / % energy shield and stun recovery

Suffixes:
fire/cold/lightning resistance

GENERAL PURPOSE WEAPON AFFIXES:

Prefixes:
% physical damage / flat physical damage / % physical damage and accuracy
% spell damage / flat elemental damage added to spells
flat elemental damage / another flat elemental damage / the remaining flat elemental damage
+ 2 to (bow, element) gems / + 1 to all gems

Suffixes:
attack speed / crit chance / global crit multiplier
spell crit chance / global crit multiplier / cast speed or % element damage

This should cover 90+% of all good rare items. Anything good that doesn't fall into one of these buckets is either magic find gear (where you want all of the above, but with item rarity for a prefix/suffix instead of one of the above things on every slot) or very specialized (cast on crit daggers/wands, mostly, which want spell damage prefixes with attack speed and local crit suffixes)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_Affix great reference for what tier any given mod is. BE AWARE that rares can be misleading with dual-stat affixes: an item with both a % physical damage roll and an accuracy roll may have a % physical affix, an accuracy affix, a %physical and accuracy affix, or some combination of 2-3 of those, but it will show as 2 lines on the item regardless. This leads to rare items with 5 lines describing them, but they really have 6 affixes (the maximum)!

Also be aware of master crafted affixes. For example, if you got a good weapon with tons of physical damage and attack speed, if it has an open suffix slot you can craft local crit on it with vagan's work bench, making an amazing weapon! This goes for all rares, making 5-affix rares quite powerful for minimum investment.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Can you add me to the group? My game name is Snakpack. Thanks!

Thanks for the invite.

Last edited: