Opera PWNS all!!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
47,989
10
81
Originally posted by: simms
I want my F2 and F3 keys to switch between tabs like they do in FF.
You can use 1 and 2 for that. Or you can change the shortcut keys manually.
 

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
4,407
11
81
If Opera was more compatable with sites I'd use it, but Firefox seems to do a better job with that.
 

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
47,989
10
81
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: interwebgeek
Installed that free opera for about a day, some sites loaded all wrong. The interface annoyed me beyond belief. I actually use both IE and FF but not going to play with opera again, it feels like using a mac, dumbed down?

That's one of the biggest gripes I had about opera. It didn't render sites correctly. Sometimes you could refresh over and over and see different problems. :confused:
Really?
 

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
47,989
10
81
Originally posted by: archcommus
I'm open to Opera too if someone can actually show me how it's better. So far the interface seems more bloated and it's definitely slower at loading pages than IE. I know people will want to argue that with me, well, don't. That's what I've noticed myself so you telling me it's actually faster won't change my mind. Besides that, I'm not really seeing any useful gestures, don't care about tabs, and it can't do what I want with cookies like my IE/WW combo can. So, I'm near uninstalling already.
http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/opera.jpg
 

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
8,115
0
71
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: archcommus
I'm open to Opera too if someone can actually show me how it's better. So far the interface seems more bloated and it's definitely slower at loading pages than IE. I know people will want to argue that with me, well, don't. That's what I've noticed myself so you telling me it's actually faster won't change my mind. Besides that, I'm not really seeing any useful gestures, don't care about tabs, and it can't do what I want with cookies like my IE/WW combo can. So, I'm near uninstalling already.
http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/opera.jpg
Well...the tab row still gives me THAT much less viewing space. :p
 

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
12,411
2
0
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
If Opera was more compatable with sites I'd use it, but Firefox seems to do a better job with that.

Give a site that Opera doesn't load properly. Then we can go there, compare side by side with IE/ Firefox.
 

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
9,057
0
76
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

Question though - I can't get Gmail to come up in Opera. The page stays at 'Loading' in the upper left. What gives?

Google uses different code for different browsers.

Tools --> Quick Preferences --> Identify As Opera
That doesn't work either. Identifying as Opera, Mozilla, or IE doesn't let my Gmail come up. Hmm.

Then you're doing it wrong. GMail works fine with the latest version :p :camera:
 

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
13,618
0
0
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

Question though - I can't get Gmail to come up in Opera. The page stays at 'Loading' in the upper left. What gives?

Google uses different code for different browsers.

Tools --> Quick Preferences --> Identify As Opera
That doesn't work either. Identifying as Opera, Mozilla, or IE doesn't let my Gmail come up. Hmm.

Then you're doing it wrong. GMail works fine with the latest version :p
I have the latest version. I just downloaded it tonight. :p
 

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
47,989
10
81
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: archcommus
I'm open to Opera too if someone can actually show me how it's better. So far the interface seems more bloated and it's definitely slower at loading pages than IE. I know people will want to argue that with me, well, don't. That's what I've noticed myself so you telling me it's actually faster won't change my mind. Besides that, I'm not really seeing any useful gestures, don't care about tabs, and it can't do what I want with cookies like my IE/WW combo can. So, I'm near uninstalling already.
http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/opera.jpg
Well...the tab row still gives me THAT much less viewing space. :p
You can hide the tab bar if there is only one tab (the current viewing window).
 

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
8,115
0
71
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: archcommus
I'm open to Opera too if someone can actually show me how it's better. So far the interface seems more bloated and it's definitely slower at loading pages than IE. I know people will want to argue that with me, well, don't. That's what I've noticed myself so you telling me it's actually faster won't change my mind. Besides that, I'm not really seeing any useful gestures, don't care about tabs, and it can't do what I want with cookies like my IE/WW combo can. So, I'm near uninstalling already.
http://www.rootminus1.com/howard/opera.jpg
Well...the tab row still gives me THAT much less viewing space. :p
You can hide the tab bar if there is only one tab (the current viewing window).
Yes, but now we're getting off the point. The point is to find features that attract me away from IE.

 

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
4,407
11
81
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
If Opera was more compatable with sites I'd use it, but Firefox seems to do a better job with that.

Give a site that Opera doesn't load properly. Then we can go there, compare side by side with IE/ Firefox.


I don't have Opera installed right now. The last version I had (I think the first of the free versions) DID display several pages incorrectly.
 

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
9,057
0
76
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: cRazYdood
If Opera was more compatable with sites I'd use it, but Firefox seems to do a better job with that.

Give a site that Opera doesn't load properly. Then we can go there, compare side by side with IE/ Firefox.


I don't have Opera installed right now. The last version I had (I think the first of the free versions) DID display several pages incorrectly.

Yes, 7.5 had a few issues :p The majority of those are fixed.

Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I have the latest version. I just downloaded it tonight. :p

You also need to enable referrer logging :p

Tools --> Quick Preferences
 

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
13,618
0
0
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I have the latest version. I just downloaded it tonight. :p

You also need to enable referrer logging :p

Tools --> Quick Preferences[/quote]
That is already checked in the default installation. Anything else that could be causing the problem?
 

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
4,407
11
81
Well I'll give 8.5 a try. I would have liked Opera better than Firefox if it did a better job getting pages correct.
 

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
8,115
0
71
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I have the latest version. I just downloaded it tonight. :p

You also need to enable referrer logging :p

Tools --> Quick Preferences
That is already checked in the default installation. Anything else that could be causing the problem?

You?
Wow what an ass.

 

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
13,618
0
0
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I have the latest version. I just downloaded it tonight. :p

You also need to enable referrer logging :p

Tools --> Quick Preferences
That is already checked in the default installation. Anything else that could be causing the problem?

You?
Thanks for your helpful response. It's truly appreciated.
 

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
1,407
1
0
I used opera for about a year before I tried switching to Firefox. FF just felt so... kludgy, so... wrong. I couldn't use it.

Opera fo' life!