Opera PWNS all!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Baked
NO WAI!

Originally posted by: iwantanewcomputer
doesn't it have ads built in the browser? who wants that

Some people just pay the $20 to get the 1280x1024 banner taken out, but most just illegally hack it out.

Umm it is free now with no ads.... ;) <sigh>

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
wait until you figure out mouse gestures...you'll never go back to another browser (with the exception of IE for the few pages that don't work).

-=bmacd=-

Amen to that!

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: arod
has anybody found a good easy way to block inpage ads? I loved firefox's adblock extension but havent seen anything similar for opera yet.

Tried anything mentioned here: http://nontroppo.org/wiki/BlockAdvertisements ?

I use both Opera & Firefox and Opera, IMO just does it better. Built in e-mail client, highly customizeable UI, small memory & disk space foot print & installs everything into ONE directory. Firefox is a great browser too, and the extensions are something Opera should have.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: GamerExpress

Originally posted by: DaShen
I tried Opera. It sucks. I went back to FF after 2 weeks.

not after you get all the updates.

Yes, after the udpates.

Strange that I just find Opera so much better now, I guess to each his own. I just don't understand what advantages FF has over Opera at this point, maybe you can expain them to me.

Or the reverse. :)

Already told you,

Mouse Guestures; Interoperability from FF, IE, and Opera libraries; Easy Shortcuts; exntendable/customizable views; customizable ad blocker... almost everything in Opera is customizable. 8.5 uses more resources than before, but it uses less than both IE and FF

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

Yes, after the udpates.

Strange that I just find Opera so much better now, I guess to each his own. I just don't understand what advantages FF has over Opera at this point, maybe you can expain them to me.

Already told you,

Mouse Guestures; Interoperability from FF, IE, and Opera libraries; Easy Shortcuts; exntendable/customizable views; customizable ad blocker... almost everything in Opera is customizable. 8.5 uses more resources than before, but it uses less than both IE and FF

I don't like mouse guestures -doesn't FF have them too?.
FF has easy shortcuts too - well easy enough for my complex and intelligent mind ;)
FF has a customizable adblocker too.
Loads of stuff in FF are customizable too. Well, the things I care about anyway.

8.5 was what I was using. Got it free on their birthday.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaervak
has anybody found a good easy way to block inpage ads? I loved firefox's adblock extension but havent seen anything similar for opera yet.

I use both Opera & Firefox and Opera, IMO just does it better. Built in e-mail client, highly customizeable UI, small memory & disk space foot print & installs everything into ONE directory. Firefox is a great browser too, and the extensions are something Opera should have.
I don't see how you say the mem usage is better, Anubis said himself 8.5 can get huge. IE never uses more than 30 megs for me.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
FF was getting to be too much of a pig for me. I guess it was the plugins you have to manually install that do it. Opera is not only faster by default, it also keeps itself small despite having most of the "plugins" preinstalled. I switched to FF from IE a while ago because of mouse gestures and quicker page rendering, but Opera beats them both.

When you say "best"... it's true for me overall.

stuman19

Jul 13, 2002
I like Opera as well, but it doesn't load my College's E-Mail properly at all. I think it uses a web based outlook but it totally flops. Its a joke.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I switched when they offered the 10th anniversary keys, and now its free anyway. I like it a lot better than FF.

I still use Thuderbird for my email though.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: archcommus

I don't see how you say the mem usage is better, Anubis said himself 8.5 can get huge. IE never uses more than 30 megs for me.

I have eleven tabs open, not including the mail tab, and memory usage is at 36MB right now. Doesn't seem like a hog to me.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

I have eleven tabs open, not including the mail tab, and memory usage is at 36MB right now. Doesn't seem like a hog to me.
Yes, but also no better than IE, either.

I tried it, and I certainly didn't dislike it, I just saw no compelling reason to switch from IE. *shrug* Anyone wanna change my mind?

The only thing that's even remotely interesting to me is the integration of mail, but it'd have to be pretty damn good to take me away from Outlook.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

I tried it, and I certainly didn't dislike it, I just saw no compelling reason to switch from IE. *shrug* Anyone wanna change my mind?

The only thing that's even remotely interesting to me is the integration of mail, but it'd have to be pretty damn good to take me away from Outlook.

Outlook is far more powerful and just as secure (if you're not an idiot) than Thunderbird.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

Outlook is far more powerful and just as secure (if you're not an idiot) than Thunderbird.
I'm talking about Opera's integrated mail.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

I'm talking about Opera's integrated mail.

Outlook is still way more powerful, functional, and just as secure.

GamerExpress

Banned
Aug 28, 2005

Yes, after the udpates.

Already told you,

I don't think he gets it, much like this post I just made.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm not a fan of change so it took awhile for me to try even FF. But once I started using mouse gestures along with tabs, I became a real power-user... you just can't browse any faster than this.

It's just that Opera does it even better than FF so I'm an Opera guy for life now.

On machines that didn't have Opera or FF, I got to experience IE again... I just missed so many things like the mouse gestures and some plugins like dictionary/translator/etc. and of course I had to have a few different IEs open on my taskbar because I go on surfing tangents.

Anyway, my point is... if you don't try the browsers' features, you don't really miss them... but once you do try them (and you should if you want to surf more efficiently), you shouldn't feel compelled to go back to IE at all.

GamerExpress

Banned
Aug 28, 2005

Sure Outlook is more powerful then Thunderbird, but Outlook costs a ton of money and Thunderbird is free. I think what you were trying to say was Outlook Express maybe??

If you were were trying to say Outlook Express, then you are wrong Thinderbird is a much better app right now, OE is just outdated!!!

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71
I'm not a fan of change so it took awhile for me to try even FF. But once I started using mouse gestures along with tabs, I became a real power-user... you just can't browse any faster than this.

It's just that Opera does it even better than FF so I'm an Opera guy for life now.

On machines that didn't have Opera or FF, I got to experience IE again... I just missed so many things like the mouse gestures and some plugins like dictionary/translator/etc. and of course I had to have a few different IEs open on my taskbar because I go on surfing tangents.

Anyway, my point is... if you don't try the browsers' features, you don't really miss them... but once you do try them (and you should if you want to surf more efficiently), you shouldn't feel compelled to go back to IE at all.
That is true. However I reviewed the mouse gestures page and I didn't say any that I'd use much besides maybe Refresh, and I really don't see myself having multiple pages open ever.

Plus, I like how IE handles cookies, because it allows me to use Window Washer to clear all cookies except for a select few, like for Anandtech, for example. Can Opera do this natively?

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
My experience has been Opera > IE >>> FF

FF is just ssslllooooowwww.....

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

it is true that stupid people, an impatient people, often have a bit of trouble setting up Opera for maximum performace.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: mdchesne
opera
I actually support firefox so far, as I have not tried Opera

Nice pic, give Opera a try, see if you like at all....if you don't then go back to FF. It never hurts to give a try, I am glad I did it's well worth it.

people need to be prepared to experiment a bit, maybe even read the help files (!!). Opera has some really powerful features, which most people don't know about. The people who say it sucks, are usually clueless about how to make all the features work.