Opera PWNS all!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
The amount of shortcuts Opera has immediately builtin is unbelievable.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
I currently have extensions on Firefox that does mouse gestures, shows me weather on my toolbar, customizes google to remove ads from searches and goes directly to the google image, customizes yahoo mail, and "switches" browsers. Does Opera have all of those things? If so I might try it.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Okay so I'm using it now. Tell me what will make me want this more than IE. I've looked up the gestures, not too many real interesting ones, sites load about the same speed, don't have much of a use for tabs. What should I try?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Originally posted by: Nik
I tried Opera. It sucks. I went back to FF after 2 weeks.

it is true that stupid people, an impatient people, often have a bit of trouble setting up Opera for maximum performace.

:roll: I tweaked the ****** out of Opera and I STILL prefer FireFox. Don't like it? Eat me!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: GamerExpress
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: Kaervak
Originally posted by: Kaervak
Originally posted by: arod
has anybody found a good easy way to block inpage ads? I loved firefox's adblock extension but havent seen anything similar for opera yet.

Tried anything mentioned here: http://nontroppo.org/wiki/BlockAdvertisements ?

I use both Opera & Firefox and Opera, IMO just does it better. Built in e-mail client, highly customizeable UI, small memory & disk space foot print & installs everything into ONE directory. Firefox is a great browser too, and the extensions are something Opera should have.
I don't see how you say the mem usage is better, Anubis said himself 8.5 can get huge. IE never uses more than 30 megs for me.

I have eleven tabs open, not including the mail tab, and memory usage is at 36MB right now. Doesn't seem like a hog to me.
Yes, but also no better than IE, either.

I tried it, and I certainly didn't dislike it, I just saw no compelling reason to switch from IE. *shrug* Anyone wanna change my mind?

The only thing that's even remotely interesting to me is the integration of mail, but it'd have to be pretty damn good to take me away from Outlook.

Outlook is far more powerful and just as secure (if you're not an idiot) than Thunderbird.

Sure Outlook is more powerful then Thunderbird, but Outlook costs a ton of money and Thunderbird is free. I think what you were trying to say was Outlook Express maybe??

If you were were trying to say Outlook Express, then you are wrong Thinderbird is a much better app right now, OE is just outdated!!!

Don't put words in my mouth, peabrain. He said he uses Outlook. Not OE, Outlook. He's already got Outlook, why switch to a less functional, weaker program even if it's free? :roll:

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
It has no feature for keeping select cookies but removing the rest, and Window Washer doesn't support it. Hmm...

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
It has no feature for keeping select cookies but removing the rest, and Window Washer doesn't support it. Hmm...

What, Opera or FireFox? You must be talking about Opera because FireFox has that selective-cookie feature. So does IE.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

What, Opera or FireFox? You must be talking about Opera because FireFox has that selective-cookie feature. So does IE.
I was talking about Opera. IE doesn't really do what I need by itself. You can always allow or always block specific sites, but that's it. You'll still acquire cookies during normal use, unless you want to be asked every time a site wants one, which would get a tad annoying. With Window Washer, whenever I do a cleaning, it gets rid of every cookie except for the ones I choose.

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
You need to play around with Opera before you dismiss it. On the surface it doesn't look like anything special, but once you customize it and learn some of the unique features it is great. If you still prefer FF or IE, well, that's your problem. :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Flashram
You need to play around with Opera before you dismiss it. On the surface it doesn't look like anything special, but once you customize it and learn some of the unique features it is great. If you still prefer FF or IE, well, that's your problem. :)

What "special features" does Opera have that FF doesn't? What can you get with Opera that you can't get with FF or it's extensions?

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
On windows I like firefox. Opera is FAST but formatting is still off on some pages. Firefox is best balance between stability and function (plugins like flash etc.) on FreeBSD but seems to crash a lot more than on windows.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

What "special features" does Opera have that FF doesn't? What can you get with Opera that you can't get with FF or it's extensions?

well, that's a good point - with Opera, you don't need a zillion 'extensions'..
I remember you were the guy with the weight/ bloat problem, not surprising you prefer firefox.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm

well, that's a good point - with Opera, you don't need a zillion 'extensions'..
I remember you were the guy with the weight/ bloat problem, not surprising you prefer firefox.

Come now, grow up. :roll:

Anyway, I don't see why Opera is any better than FireFox. The extensions that I like are all of 2 clicks and 5 seconds away. Plus I don't have to install what I don't want..

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
I'm giving Opera a fair try here. I'm tired of Firefox using up almost half of my CPU as soon as it's even opened like one of the early posters in this thread stated. I'm also tired of the crashes (I get them at least twice a week). Even though I love Firefox, it's forced me back to using Mozilla the last few weeks which takes up hardly any of my CPU usage at all.

Question though - I can't get Gmail to come up in Opera. The page stays at 'Loading' in the upper left. What gives?

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I'm open to Opera too if someone can actually show me how it's better. So far the interface seems more bloated and it's definitely slower at loading pages than IE. I know people will want to argue that with me, well, don't. That's what I've noticed myself so you telling me it's actually faster won't change my mind. Besides that, I'm not really seeing any useful gestures, don't care about tabs, and it can't do what I want with cookies like my IE/WW combo can. So, I'm near uninstalling already.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I'm giving Opera a fair try here. I'm tired of Firefox using up almost half of my CPU as soon as it's even opened like one of the early posters in this thread stated. I'm also tired of the crashes (I get them at least twice a week). Even though I love Firefox, it's forced me back to using Mozilla the last few weeks which takes up hardly any of my CPU usage at all.

Question though - I can't get Gmail to come up in Opera. The page stays at 'Loading' in the upper left. What gives?

Methinks it's time to run some diagnostic tools on your computer :p

With three tabs running in FireFox, several Poker tools running, got a table going at Absolute Poker, outlook open, excel open, Trillian open running (+2 chat windows), downloading a file with FF, AVG in the task bar, TeaTimer in the task bar, MS's anti-spyware beta in the task bar, among others, I'm still at less than 2% CPU usage. :p

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Opera stinks on secure websites. Doesn't work with either of my banks or my company's intranet.

I ran into this trying to check out of newegg. Took me a couple to figure it out. Try enabling referrer logging.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003

With three tabs running in FireFox, several Poker tools running, got a table going at Absolute Poker, outlook open, excel open, Trillian open running (+2 chat windows), downloading a file with FF, AVG in the task bar, TeaTimer in the task bar, MS's anti-spyware beta in the task bar, among others, I'm still at less than 2% CPU usage. :p
Nik, it's not my computer. When this first started happening (it was somewhere between FF versions .7 and .8), I too thought something must be wrong with my comp because the previous version of FF never took up this much of my CPU.

I tried everything short of reinstalling Windows and then installing FF. I did everything suggested on the FF forums and other suggestions found online about this problem but to no avail. BTW, the CPU-hogging isn't affected running FF with zero extensions or running 15 extensions. It still hogs it up. From what I've gathered, there's not many people that are having the kind of problem I'm having with FF and 95% of FF users say, like you, that FF uses minimal CPU on their machines. Not so with mine.

But I've just finally had enough. I do wish I could find some kind of fix for this problem because I love Firefox's functionability but until I do I'm sticking with Mozilla, IE, and now Opera.

ETA - Another thing FF would do is stop responding. I don't mean crashing I mean just flat out stop responding. I would have to close FF and then restart it. It would be good to go for awhile and then it would stop responding again. It's another problem that a minimal amount of FF users are/been having.

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003

Google uses different code for different browsers.

Tools --> Quick Preferences --> Identify As Opera

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy

Google uses different code for different browsers.

Tools --> Quick Preferences --> Identify As Opera
That doesn't work either. Identifying as Opera, Mozilla, or IE doesn't let my Gmail come up. Hmm.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

Nik, it's not my computer. When this first started happening (it was somewhere between FF versions .7 and .8), I too thought something must be wrong with my comp because the previous version of FF never took up this much of my CPU.

I tried everything short of reinstalling Windows and then installing FF. I did everything suggested on the FF forums and other suggestions found online about this problem but to no avail. BTW, the CPU-hogging isn't affected running FF with zero extensions or running 15 extensions. It still hogs it up. From what I've gathered, there's not many people that are having the kind of problem I'm having with FF and 95% of FF users say, like you, that FF uses minimal CPU on their machines. Not so with mine.

But I've just finally had enough. I do wish I could find some kind of fix for this problem because I love Firefox's functionability but until I do I'm sticking with Mozilla, IE, and now Opera.

:( You have fallen to the darkside.

<Obiwan>
I have failed you, SmoochyTX! I have failed you.
</Obiwan>

:p

interwebgeek

Oct 25, 2005
Installed that free opera for about a day, some sites loaded all wrong. The interface annoyed me beyond belief. I actually use both IE and FF but not going to play with opera again, it feels like using a mac, dumbed down?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: interwebgeek
Installed that free opera for about a day, some sites loaded all wrong. The interface annoyed me beyond belief. I actually use both IE and FF but not going to play with opera again, it feels like using a mac, dumbed down?

That's one of the biggest gripes I had about opera. It didn't render sites correctly. Sometimes you could refresh over and over and see different problems. :confused: