**OLD THREAD** League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA)

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I've heard that the best way to play Blitz is not to try initiating with Grab. Rush in with your movespeed boost and try and hit them with Rocket Fist. Save the grab for when they're retreating and moving in a more predictable manner. Though you may need to either have move speed quints or buy Boots of Swiftness to be really effective at closing the gap (Flash/Ghost also would help).

Chiroptean, I can alt-tab near instantly in LoL. I'm using a GTX460 now (latest Nvidia drivers), but I also played with a 5770 with no problem. Never had 10+ second hangups. Doesn't sound like it's a display driver problem if you say the problem doesn't happen when you first reboot the system. Maybe try reinstalling LoL?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
As with any you just have to learn how to play him. Blitz is an awesome laner. Just hide in bushes, and wait for them to get too close and grab them, ect. Not to be an ass, but if you are just used to karthus, get used to actually doing something in a game :) Karth is too easy to farm kills once you learn him. His ult is way op really. He's the only char that could essentially sit in base after level 6 and get kills w/o ever putting himself in danger.

I've played plenty of characters, just Karthus is the one I enjoy the most. And just so you know I've most likely netted more kills with wall/bomb/defile than my ult.

just so you know, when I said "step out of my comfort zone", I more meant that I was going to play a character just to have fun, without buying the "necessary" runes and trying to figure out a good build order before the game. I played him to have fun, and while I sucked in the laning phases, I did fine later. I have to admit I got more satisfaction out of grabbing a helpless carry and watching him get raped by my team, then getting a triple kill after I"m dead by just pressing "R".

douglasb

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2005
Quick random poll: can you alt-tab in/out of full-screen league of legends quickly, or does it take 10+ seconds? If so, what is your video card/driver?

It's an odd situation for me, because immediately after a reboot if I play I can tab out and back in without any delay, but after some time and possibly some programs being run, the delay is up there 10+ seconds. This can be annoying when I get an instant message or something I want to check early on in the game when 20 seconds of afk to tab out and back in is practically feeding.

I'm using an AMD 5850 with the 11.2 drivers, I'll try the 11.3 soon to see if they work any better.

Most games I just run in "windowed full screen" mode, but LoL won't do that without an annoying border.

It isn't instantaneous for me (usually takes a few Alt+Tab's before it actually switches) but definitely nowhere near 10 seconds. I am using a 4890, not sure which drivers (10.something....10.10 maybe?)

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I have a gtx 260 and the only time I've had issues tabbing out is when my computer decided to run a scheduled virus scan while i was playing LoL.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Quick random poll: can you alt-tab in/out of full-screen league of legends quickly, or does it take 10+ seconds? If so, what is your video card/driver?

It's an odd situation for me, because immediately after a reboot if I play I can tab out and back in without any delay, but after some time and possibly some programs being run, the delay is up there 10+ seconds. This can be annoying when I get an instant message or something I want to check early on in the game when 20 seconds of afk to tab out and back in is practically feeding.

I'm using an AMD 5850 with the 11.2 drivers, I'll try the 11.3 soon to see if they work any better.

Most games I just run in "windowed full screen" mode, but LoL won't do that without an annoying border.

I'm on a 6850 and it takes less than a second to alt-tab out.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I'm on a 4870 and have no problems tabbing out. Although I do seem to FPS drop on occasion.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Hah thanks for all the replies. Right now it's being instant- rebooted last night, but i'll make a note of it next time it is slow again.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Sounds like a memory issue or maybe fragmented hard drive if it is fast at one point but starts to slow down.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Dear ranked players:

1. When you have second pick banning rammus/nocturne/shen/amumu is great. When you have first pick you should attempt to leave one of those in there and get them for your team.

2. When you do get them for your team (i.e. Rammus) and agree to trade him for Ryze, you should actually do so. Ryze with smite, tank runes and jungling masteries is something of a joke early game. When you make this mistake (actually declining my trade twice) do not compound it by purchasing AP on Rammus and telling me to go tank Ryze and if you do say something this stupid listen when all four of your teammates chime in and tell you it's a bad idea. Rammus with blasting wand + tome is nothing but a joke and you cost us the game.

3. Learn how to bait & coordinate attacks. If someone comes to your bushes to gank and they have CC, don't immediately jump in and ult (I'm looking at you Kat) allowing them to get away. Wait for the CC. If nothing else ping before you go in.

4. Learn when to towerdive.... you're level 30 you should have a good feel for this.

5. When a teammate dies don't compound it by diving into a 1v3 trying to get revenge.... duh.

6. Good job kat on getting FB, it doesn't give you carte blanche to start diving in at any opponent you want thinking you can kill them.

7. Learn to last hit. We had no jungle and they sent an Ashe to second solo... Blitz and Ryze should easily be able to deny, but you blitz decided that she deserves to get experience and gold while sitting safely at her tower. When that Nunu came out of the jungle and tried to gank you I saved you with my 'w'. After that you didn't b, you pushed and Nunu ganked again.. this time successfully that is your fault you moron. Sure I killed him too but there was no reason to push unless you can hurt the tower which you couldn't.

8. Buy wards. I asked many times and bought 1 per trip back. I'm proud to say I was ward bitch for 30 minutes as not one of you fools bought a single ward.

9. When you get behind 10-4 you're seriously outfarmed. Learn to turtle/towerhug. Kill jungle creeps when safe but in general you need to ward, gank loners and wait until you all hit 18 and have caught up on levels before you actively seek fights in mid far far far from your tower. Don't even get me started on your tower diving. Sure you always killed someone but they always killed 2 or 3 of us... in fact there were 4 times that everyone died except me. The fifth time they caught me and I was rather happy because they ended the game then.

You're fricken level 30... how can you possibly be this clueless????

Adendum: Learn to hit skillshots. In 30 minutes blitz, I didn't see you land a single grab. I saw you dash in and use knockup then miss the grab multiple times however (while they ran in a straight line).

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
If you are leaving spawn and have 75g, buy a ward.

Locations to be warded: Baron, Dragon, entry/exits to river, enemy buffs, your buffs, near wraith camps (in that 4-way intersection after you've left river), the 3 way intersection next to the wall of your base. That's pretty much the order of importance I think too. If you're against a team that like to ward hunt, place them a little out from the usual locations.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Zeb its just the nature of the game that half the time you'll get paired with the idiots and the other half the time they're on the other team. That is assuming you solo queue. Its one reason I'd rather play a carry instead of a tank, since you have more control over your teams fate being a carry.

Riot should also only allow you to play characters you own in ranked. It would have most likely prevented your craptastic experience laning with that blitz.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Speaking of skill shots, I'm doing pretty good with Ashe.

I haven't played Ashe in forever. Mostly because I think I died a little inside everytime I missed with that arrow.

Had an Ashe on my team yesterday that missed with at least 5 arrows. Each time just barely, and each time a hit would have easily resulted in a death.

I think lux is the queen of skill shots. Although since her ult is on such a short cooldown missing with it isn't as big a deal (still sucks though).

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
I hate playing her these days for a couple reasons.

If you do not dominate you will be flamed. Miss with your arrow and 2 or 3 people will say " fail arrow ". Get ganked and you are a newb.

If I choose her I am sure to see shaco, panth, noc etc on the other team.

People have this opinion she is the easiest champion to play which is absurd given how many champs can gank her effortlessly.

Of course if you have the right team around you, she hits like a Mack truck.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Zeb its just the nature of the game that half the time you'll get paired with the idiots and the other half the time they're on the other team. That is assuming you solo queue. Its one reason I'd rather play a carry instead of a tank, since you have more control over your teams fate being a carry.

Riot should also only allow you to play characters you own in ranked. It would have most likely prevented your craptastic experience laning with that blitz.

Yeah this is unfortunate, I prefer the games where each side has one weak player (or 0) and the team that adjusts best wins. That said there is a basic level of competence that I expect people to have acquired just by playing the game from levels 1-30. Most of my good character are tanky so I may give playing carries another try here soon, specifically I'm thinking Corki and Shaco. I'm also good with Annie & Ryze so I may run them more often while possibly picking up Vlad.

douglasb

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2005
I played on a premade team with Ventrilo, and it was WAY more fun than my usual solo games. Why didn't anybody tell me about this sooner?!?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I decided to get Lee Sin last night, I think he's one of the more fun chars in the game. He has a lot of versatility since he can attack from good range with his skill shot/flying kick and he can help out allies really well with his shield. Plus his ult can be defensive or offensive, I managed to escape more than one gank in my first game by kicking ww back into their team that was coming up. Plus his ability to spot stealth is really nice, overall he's just a really fun character with good mobility and a lot of different moves to use. I only played one game with him but I went 9-9 and they were focusing me pretty hard, it's really fun dashing away from ganks with his shield then back in for the kill with skill shot/flying kick.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I think lux is the queen of skill shots. Although since her ult is on such a short cooldown missing with it isn't as big a deal (still sucks though).

The range of Lux's ult is like o_O

I hate playing her these days for a couple reasons.

If you do not dominate you will be flamed. Miss with your arrow and 2 or 3 people will say " fail arrow ". Get ganked and you are a newb.

If I choose her I am sure to see shaco, panth, noc etc on the other team.

People have this opinion she is the easiest champion to play which is absurd given how many champs can gank her effortlessly.

Of course if you have the right team around you, she hits like a Mack truck.

I agree, I suck with her but when she's got a good team and a skilled player behind her she's ferocious.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I was on last night for a few games. It has been weeks since I had played.

Since nocturne was on free I decide to give him a try. It took me about three games to get back into figuring out how to play and how to play a new champ. But I was getting 20+ kills with him after that :) His DPS is beastly. But he's also squishy as heck. Every team focuses on me on team fights first and foremost it seemed. I would still get a kill or two.

side note, wtf is up with singed???? did he get a massive boost or something? He's doing ridiculous damage and seems to be picked now in every game. The combination of singed + lee + alistar is annoying to say the least. Flipping around constantly and being stuck in that poison until dead is retardedly broken with the current dps I saw every singed putting out.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Singed hasn't changed in ages. You may have just run into one stacking AP or something like that. The combo I've seen a coupe times in premade shield stacking i.e. Lee Sin + Shen + Lux + Janna + Ashe (for the AD). which is beastly. You think you have a gank completed when 3 or four different shields show up and give the character a full life bar to work with. You are almost forced to juggle targets just to avoid the shields or you blow all your teams spells and kill only one person.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Singed hasn't changed in ages. You may have just run into one stacking AP or something like that. The combo I've seen a coupe times in premade shield stacking i.e. Lee Sin + Shen + Lux + Janna + Ashe (for the AD). which is beastly. You think you have a gank completed when 3 or four different shields show up and give the character a full life bar to work with. You are almost forced to juggle targets just to avoid the shields or you blow all your teams spells and kill only one person.

The juggling around with singed, alistar, and lee make it hard to target crap in a team fight when you are constantly bounced around the screen though. Real pain in the ass. And he was stacking AP, but not that much until the end.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Since nocturne was on free I decide to give him a try. It took me about three games to get back into figuring out how to play and how to play a new champ. But I was getting 20+ kills with him after that :) His DPS is beastly. But he's also squishy as heck. Every team focuses on me on team fights first and foremost it seemed. I would still get a kill or two.

Noc combos well with other disablers because of his delayed fear. Drop it on someone already stunned and they won't be getting away, or also useful when chasing someone or being chased.

Status
Not open for further replies.