**OLD THREAD** League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA)

Page 92 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
Just to give everybody an idea of how much money Riot makes with LoL:

Nurse akali proceeds exceed $160,000.

Hah thanks for all the replies. Right now it's being instant- rebooted last night, but i'll make a note of it next time it is slow again.

Sounds like a memory issue or maybe fragmented hard drive if it is fast at one point but starts to slow down.

Fallen is correct. Alt-tabbing has nothing to do with your video card. It typically means you have low memory problems. You either have low memory, or there is a program youre running that has a memory leak. Next time it happens, hit ctrl-alt-del and go to task manager. The performance tab will show you how much of your memory you are using, and the processes tab will show you how much each individual program is using.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Quick random poll: can you alt-tab in/out of full-screen league of legends quickly, or does it take 10+ seconds? If so, what is your video card/driver?

It's an odd situation for me, because immediately after a reboot if I play I can tab out and back in without any delay, but after some time and possibly some programs being run, the delay is up there 10+ seconds. This can be annoying when I get an instant message or something I want to check early on in the game when 20 seconds of afk to tab out and back in is practically feeding.

I'm using an AMD 5850 with the 11.2 drivers, I'll try the 11.3 soon to see if they work any better.

Most games I just run in "windowed full screen" mode, but LoL won't do that without an annoying border.

If it takes 10+ seconds and you have an AMD card its to do with the refresh rate. Its a common problem they've never fixed, some games do this all the time for me others don't do it at all. I think if the refresh rate in the game dosent match the desktop one then it has to change it and it takes its time doing it, i don't remember if that's what the problem is exactly but its definitely refresh rate + AMD.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
If it takes 10+ seconds and you have an AMD card its to do with the refresh rate. Its a common problem they've never fixed, some games do this all the time for me others don't do it at all. I think if the refresh rate in the game dosent match the desktop one then it has to change it and it takes its time doing it, i don't remember if that's what the problem is exactly but its definitely refresh rate + AMD.

Seems plausible. It's not memory as the above poster suggested, I have 8GB in this system and I see the slow alt-tabs even with 4+ GB of available ram. But would the refresh rate problem be intermittent? Yesterday I could alt-tab instantly, today it was taking 10 seconds again. I noticed I had firefox and chrome both open with some browser game running and various things, so I closed everything except LoL... and the slow alt-tabs continued. Seems so very random.

After some quick investigation, seems like this is exactly it. When I manually change my refresh rate, I see the exact same symptom and delay while the video card switches. I need to make sure lol is forcing the same refresh rate as my desktop apparently.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
woot cassiopeia. i've been wanting to play/buy her, she seems pretty cool and fairly unused :)

I actually just picked up Cass not too long ago blindly.

Definately an interesting one..Amazing at Harassing/farming.

Better heroes of course for the IP but in the right hands is pretty decent. Ult range needs increased a bit.

On the other hand...I sprung for Renekton....wow.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I've also been wanted to try out Cass. I've been the victim of her harassment, so I figure it can't hurt to try her out for a few games.

I also like that Zil is free again this week. His bombs are great for harassing and assuming you can get your ult off at the right times, you can easily turn the tide of a team fight.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Ooh, I've been wanting to try Corki, Olaf, and Nidalee for a while. Guess now's my chance!!

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I've also been wanted to try out Cass. I've been the victim of her harassment, so I figure it can't hurt to try her out for a few games.

I also like that Zil is free again this week. His bombs are great for harassing and assuming you can get your ult off at the right times, you can easily turn the tide of a team fight.

They nerfed his bomb a few patches back.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
They nerfed his bomb a few patches back.

Thats sad, I never thought it was OP. Oh well, its still fun to run around and throw bombs on people's heads.

They also nerfed Olaf a few patches back to where he's practically ineffective now. Since they lowered his damage reduction for his ult your lucky if you get a few hits in before you're focused and dead. And if you decide to get some tank gear his damage is just laughable (since they also nerfed his W scaling with HP).

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Thats sad, I never thought it was OP. Oh well, its still fun to run around and throw bombs on people's heads.

They also nerfed Olaf a few patches back to where he's practically ineffective now. Since they lowered his damage reduction for his ult your lucky if you get a few hits in before you're focused and dead. And if you decide to get some tank gear his damage is just laughable (since they also nerfed his W scaling with HP).

His bombs early on were devestating in damage. They were initially high because they didn't think through the double or even triple bomb stacking strat that people were able to do with him. He could 1 shot many a hero at low to mid levels with it. That is why it was nerfed.

Oct 25, 2006
Goddamnit. I was doing so well with Noct last week, and now I'm in a massive rut. Im doing absolutely terribly. Noct absolutly is terrible against a good teamwork team. He is way too squishy and if he does ult, he isn't getting out of it unless he kills the person. He is too slow and has no good escape abilities.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Goddamnit. I was doing so well with Noct last week, and now I'm in a massive rut. Im doing absolutely terribly. Noct absolutly is terrible against a good teamwork team. He is way too squishy and if he does ult, he isn't getting out of it unless he kills the person. He is too slow and has no good escape abilities.

Uh, he takes the right timing to use and a team to help. He will 1v1 most heros easily. In team fights you are suppose to hang back and launch your duskbringer until you are sure you can take out 1 or 2 people. That's how I was playing him.

Side note, just got done with a game with fenix where I played xin and still rocked it :)

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Seems my slow alt-tabbing issue has been fixed by reverting to an older video driver. I'm not even sure which version I am using now, I just took the driver offered by windows update, but it works so I'll use it for now. I'll probably switch to the 11.4 drivers when they are officially released.

I've thought about buying cassiopeia many times but always hesitate, so I've been trying her out while free. I don't see why she is considered so bad, with only a few games under my belt I have no problems playing her reasonably well- won 2 and lost 2, but even the games I lost my scores were not completely terrible- 8/10/10 and 5/7/9, all while learning the champion... seems it can only get better. Been playing a semi-tank build 9/21/0 masteries and teardrop (into eventual archmage's staff), sorc shoes, haunting guise, rod of the ages as usual items... went with a force of nature in the last game and I was very pleased with the results, made me a lot more durable in game and the regen/move speed allowed me to continually harras. Earlier games I was going for heavier AP items, such as a deathcap, but with her lack of escapes and mobility I get the feeling building her tankish will be more successful.

blamb425

Mar 30, 2007
Just tried out Nidalee for the first time today...

She is SUPER fun. Looks like I've found my next IP purchase.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007

She is VERY fun! I usually build her AP.

Turn her into a Sniper.

Also on a side note. I got hit with the banhammer yesterday for 1 day:(

I get wife aggro alot.....= fail

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
It is hilarious how badly people play vs Cass, now that she is in a bunch of games, no one has experience.

I played a game where Cass was like 17 / 2 by 25min in, I was the only one who hadn't died to , and killed Cass.

I attribute it to the fact I play her a lot.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
It is hilarious how badly people play vs Cass, now that she is in a bunch of games, no one has experience.

I played a game where Cass was like 17 / 2 by 25min in, I was the only one who hadn't died to , and killed Cass.

I attribute it to the fact I play her a lot.

Yeah i noticed this as well, it applies to me too :p I have no idea what she does/can do, i dont know if theres any special trick to that early poison move if she has to cast it on a minion or what its range is etc. Its as bad a urgots poison early on. I play as amumu or rammus and she can take my health down pretty fast if she hits me a few times early.

Pretty squishy though, easily ganked.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004

Odd, I used her last night and while she was effective I didn't find her fun at all. Maybe I need to give her another shot.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Odd, I used her last night and while she was effective I didn't find her fun at all. Maybe I need to give her another shot.

Mabye half the fun is knowing that your annoying the shit out your enemy. Her spear + healing gives her good harass and lane staying power. I can't stand laning against her. Not to mention after lvl 6 she's practically uncatchable when she runs, its almost as pointless as chasing a singed.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
She is VERY fun! I usually build her AP.

Turn her into a Sniper.

Also on a side note. I got hit with the banhammer yesterday for 1 day:(

I get wife aggro alot.....= fail

The pro Nidalee build is hybrid. Between shapeshifting and always pouncing around the map, you should be keeping Rageblade at full stacks all the time. The problem with Nid is that Pounce is a very buggy ability and it takes a lot of time playing her to fully figure out how it behaves. And also where you can use it to get through map geometry.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Yeah i noticed this as well, it applies to me too :p I have no idea what she does/can do, i dont know if theres any special trick to that early poison move if she has to cast it on a minion or what its range is etc. Its as bad a urgots poison early on. I play as amumu or rammus and she can take my health down pretty fast if she hits me a few times early.

Pretty squishy though, easily ganked.

If you haven't, watch the champion spotlight on her, it really is good to know her limitations.

For starters she can spam her main damaging nuke when you are poisoned, so the best defense is to keep out of it all the time, and if you get it on you fall back as its range is very limited compared to urgot.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Woah, LoL season 1 is ending in May? Wonder what Season 2 will hold for us?

Link

do you mind posting the text?

Hopefully season 2 will get a new map. I wouldn't mind a 4,6 or 7 person map. Although a 6 or 7 player map would get rediculous during team fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.