Oh. So this is why Star Trek: Enterprise failed miserably...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
enterprise is my favorite st
and ive seen every one of every series
it has an enthusiasm about it unique to trek
i also love the theme song
it grew on me
miss ya t'pol,trip,phlox and archer

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Star Trek TNG did the same thing the first season. At the time I renamed the new one to "Star Trek: The Re-Generation".

IIRC, Gene Rodenberry recycled a lot of the early TNG scripts from Star Trek: Phase II.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I thought DS9 and Voyager sucked ass. In fact, they border on unwatchable IMO. All told I've probably watched maybe an episode or two of each one of those series. I stuck with Enterprise for 3 full seasons so it must be better... despite the theme song.

Hell, watching TNG series now it looks campy as hell and dated but I loved it when it originally aired. And why they had Wesley Crusher in any of those is beyond me. He's like the captain's daughter on the Love Boat. A completely useless character nobody cares about.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I thought DS9 and Voyager sucked ass. In fact, they border on unwatchable IMO. All told I've probably watched maybe an episode or two of each one of those series. I stuck with Enterprise for 3 full seasons so it must be better... despite the theme song.

Hell, watching TNG series now it looks campy as hell and dated but I loved it when it originally aired. And why they had Wesley Crusher in any of those is beyond me. He's like the captain's daughter on the Love Boat. A completely useless character nobody cares about.

DS9 is like Star Track but its in outer space, with some space ships and some warm hole aliens.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Enterprise was a failure from the start because they got caught up in that prequel craze that was so popular in the 2000s. Prequels can make for interesting movies when done well, but to base an entire TV show around the past is just a mistake. The abundance of canon in the Star Trek universe places alot of creative constraints on authors to write good episodes without recycling plots from a prior series or resorting to time travel.
I used to scoff at DS9, but I gave it a chance, and I honestly feel that show was a head of it's time. Yes it is flawed because you need to skip through most of the first 3 seasons. What sets it apart from the other Star Trek series is that it's more realistic in the sense of plots and characters. To one extent or another; most Star Trek characters have the same morals, values etc, and DS9 deviates away from this with a diverse cast like Odo, Quark, Dax, Worf, Garak, etc. The other thing that I liked is that it portrayed the Federation as imperfect and not all goody-two shoes. This I find to be much more realistic as even the best of us are guilty of doing things that we're not proud of.

A new Star Trek series should try to follow more in the direction of DS9 minus all the emissary/bajoran crap.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Have never watched up until this thread.
Damn you for making me binge watch the entire 1st season on hulu :)

overall being a fan of TNG
- yeah that opening theme sucked major ballz
- it was cool to see them slowly progress into Warp5
- some dude appeared from the future in one episode which reminded me of Q
- is it worth watching more seasons to see if he does reappear
or anything at all which may help make me want to watch more

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
IIRC, Gene Rodenberry recycled a lot of the early TNG scripts from Star Trek: Phase II.

I read the script summaries from Star Trek Phase II (well the possible fourth season), and I don't remember that - I remember them as recycled from the original series.

Edit: I just saw that the second-season writer's strike causes some of the Phase II scripts to be used for that season.

It was the first season TNG that I recalled having the rehashing of the original series.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012

Have you watched 'Shockwave' yet? I'm on the second part. It features the time travel guy.

It's utterly incomprehensible. It's not even that time travel inevitably creates irreconcilable paradoxes...this show doesn't even get nearly that far before becoming maddeningly dumb.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009

Last seasons have Archer do to preserve Earth/time space continuum more than Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway combined.
I doubt you will like enough to warrant watching it all.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Last seasons have Archer do to preserve Earth/time space continuum more than Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway combined.
I doubt you will like enough to warrant watching it all.

hey I might be in to that
Can you tell me what episode to skip forward to?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hey I might be in to that
Can you tell me what episode to skip forward to?

last two seasons probably....but I like the entire series because it shows all the fuck-ups humans engage in just jumping into the universe.

it's the opposite of what previous series established as the "supreme discipline of star fleet"

these are the dudes that just went out and fucked the universe to shit, and barely lived because of it...and so established the prime directive and all that horseshit "wear your seatbelt" whenever you go poking strange aliens and shit.

people hate enterprise for what enterprise was supposed to be: establishing the process that lead to how we, as humans, have established all of our best know practices: how best not to fuck everything we have already fucked up.

seriously: just ask Grog how that first experiment with Fire went, when he tried to start it in a high-plains conifer forest.

that's Enterprise

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
The song sucked. The montage wasn't bad. The opening from the mirror universe episodes in the fourth season were awesome.

A couple of months ago my wife was watching an HGTV where some rich old woman was looking to buy an island. She was dragging her friend around with th realtor and the HGTV crew.

I swear her friend was a blond T'Pol. It was vaguely creepy actually.

She is a natural blonde. It could actually be her.

Edit: lawl it was her: http://www.privateislandsinc.com/island-hunters-episode-113-maine-usa/

Last edited:

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
last two seasons probably....but I like the entire series because it shows all the fuck-ups humans engage in just jumping into the universe.

it's the opposite of what previous series established as the "supreme discipline of star fleet"

these are the dudes that just went out and fucked the universe to shit, and barely lived because of it...and so established the prime directive and all that horseshit "wear your seatbelt" whenever you go poking strange aliens and shit.

people hate enterprise for what enterprise was supposed to be: establishing the process that lead to how we, as humans, have established all of our best know practices: how best not to fuck everything we have already fucked up.

seriously: just ask Grog how that first experiment with Fire went, when he tried to start it in a high-plains conifer forest.

that's Enterprise
I did like the episode where the first contact rules weren't in place yet :)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
DS9 is fucking awesome.

If you get sick of Enterprise, watch DS9. Its on Netlfix and Amazon prime.

Just finished the series of DS9. It's not as good as TNG or Voyager, but if you can get past the first season, its entertaining.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I remember watching the first episode when it came out, and couldn't believe how bad/lame the opening sequence was. It never got better.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that show, but I think it killed TV Star Trek for good (I don't even know how they got a new series after voyager).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that show, but I think it killed TV Star Trek for good (I don't even know how they got a new series after voyager).

We can't trust tv execs much. They didn't want to make ST:TNG because of concerns it would hurt the audience for the movies. But I think we'll probably see another series.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

It would've been interesting to see what would've happened had Phase II been launched on a different network (since the planned Paramount network didn't happen in the 70s). I'm not sure how long it would've lasted without Nimoy but of course, maybe Nimoy would've changed his mind for that.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I have to say, I'm surprised at how much hate people are giving...an introduction song... Okay, I admit, it actually grew on me. But IMO, if trekkies are that in arms about a damn song or introduction that lasts like a minute and a half, then IMO that says more about trekkies than it does about their choice in intro. Let it go, watch the show.

I'm about 2/3 through season 2, and I have to say I actually am enjoying it quite a bit. I can't do non story arc shows, so as much as I love TNG, I haven't gone back and watched it in a while. I have to go back and watch DS9 at some point.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I have to say, I'm surprised at how much hate people are giving...an introduction song... Okay, I admit, it actually grew on me. But IMO, if trekkies are that in arms about a damn song or introduction that lasts like a minute and a half, then IMO that says more about trekkies than it does about their choice in intro. Let it go, watch the show.

I'm about 2/3 through season 2, and I have to say I actually am enjoying it quite a bit. I can't do non story arc shows, so as much as I love TNG, I haven't gone back and watched it in a while. I have to go back and watch DS9 at some point.
It's one of those things that's a symptom of the bigger problem.

So you have a slight twitch in one eye.
It might be a symptom of a brain tumor.
"But it's just a twitch in your eye! Big deal!"

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
See, now there's where opinion comes in. I found the Ferengi episodes to be good comic relief from the semi-dark show DS9 could be.
Agreed. Those episodes are what kept the series from being a proto-BSG when they were in the middle of the Dominion War. It was evidence that life still went on in the rest of the quadrant, and that these people didn't live awful, miserable lives day in and day out.

Without a mix of light and darkness there is no contrast to give each the emotional weight it needs.