** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
2:7 right now... even in the fail Bronze league I get destroyed. Although, this last game my partner got destroyed and I'm not going to waste my time in a 2v1... especially after I failed to protect my nat :\.

Lost to shit like 6pool... 6gate so far :\.

Yea there are probably locations where you can exploit the terrain. I've had a few games where toss have used blink. That stupid desert map, where the two bases are close but the ground travel path is long as hell, is where they can be very effective. I had forgotten to have a detector at the back of my base and he got sight up there with an observer and jumped(blinked) the gap right into my scv's

I had a game where Protoss did something similar, but probably not nearly as extravagant.. the result was definitely loss of SCV life though :(.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
2:7 right now... even in the fail Bronze league I get destroyed. Although, this last game my partner got destroyed and I'm not going to waste my time in a 2v1... especially after I failed to protect my nat :\.

Lost to shit like 6pool... 6gate so far :\.

I had a game where Protoss did something similar, but probably not nearly as extravagant.. the result was definitely loss of SCV life though :(.

Oh this lead to a base race as I had been an idiot and hadn't macro'd very well at all. It ended with him having 4 stalkers to my ghost + raven + 4 vikings. But he found where I was hiding by blinking around and got my last building before I could kill his last two. I ended up taking out buildings with auto-turrets though, that was interesting.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Heh... you wouldn't suspect auto-turrets to be that worthwhile :p.

Had some 'toss cannon up my base :/. I knew he was there, but just suspected him of scouting originally and didn't have a marine to kill him. Was only able to take out 1/3 cannons. Thinking about it, I probably should've just went straight to my nat, which is what I ended up doing anyway. I didn't survive much longer as the Zerg got me.

My partner seemed to have good strategy, but he built terribly slow and the largest attack wave he had was maybe 12 Zealots... going in with 2-3 Void Rays when you know your opponent has multiple Hydras is just borderline silly. Not sure why he didn't just use the VRs to take out the Spine Crawlers in the front of the base and send ground units in :eek:. Not to mention also let the protoss (that got destroyed after wasting all that money on cannons :p) rebuild.

I need to just watch games and give people tips if I see anything good... I suck when I actually have to play myself :/.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I don't really play terra, so mules are that important? My base gets scanned by terra all the time. Probably kind of habits from sc1 one where scans were for free.

But DT's take forever to tech to. hard not to be overrun by a bioball by then. could also send few zealots with DT's and hope he doesn't notice?
Why do you say terra? it's annoying :twisted:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I don't know why, but I just can't get into 1v1 ladder all that much. I'm plat level, but it just doesn't hold my attention. I love doing team games, but I've even been doing custom against AI over 1v1 lately.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Mmm I'm rather liking Hellions vs people that mass marines... a group of I think... maybe 10 just ate up a ton of marines.

EDIT:

That was with the upgrade of course... I'm quite heinous at switching between add-ons just for a single upgrade especially since Hellions only require the basic Factory.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Why do you say terra? it's annoying :twisted:

I agree.

Mmm I'm rather liking Hellions vs people that mass marines... a group of I think... maybe 10 just ate up a ton of marines.

EDIT:

That was with the upgrade of course... I'm quite heinous at switching between add-ons just for a single upgrade especially since Hellions only require the basic Factory.

Yea they work well against just marines, but they get raped by marauders and I seldom find marines by themselves.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yea they work well against just marines, but they get raped by marauders and I seldom find marines by themselves.

Can't you just kite the marauders anyway? Mars are so slow compared to Hellions. I think Hellions are the fastest ground unit in the game?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Can't you just kite the marauders anyway? Mars are so slow compared to Hellions. I think Hellions are the fastest ground unit in the game?

yea but not when the marauders have the slow upgrade + stim. They can stim rush the hellions get slow shots in and then it's gg hellions.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I am as addicted as I was on SC1. Thankfully the games don't last as long. I remember 6-8 hour marathons when you had a full group of people.

Interestingly though (and annoying) is that for some reason, people give up REALLY easy on this game if they don't have the upper hand. It really hits you on random teams. It's like if they can't barrage you with 50+ units then they just quit if they get attacked at all (even if it's not even their main base). Man the hell up ;) More than once I've come back from almost completely being wiped out and ended up winning.

The other annoying thing is people who think you should end the game because they feel they won. I laugh and milk it for as long as I can just to be my own kind of annoying.

And yet despite it all...I play and play and play :D

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm not sure exactly how the ranking system works, but I managed to beat a rank 20 gold and a rank 6 gold player as a silver player back-to-back and got an easy promotion to gold.

I watched the replay of that last game. My opponent was Protoss going for a 4 gate and he had an army of stalkers literally a second away from blinking into my base (he had an observer en route to get sight to the high ground) when my marine/marauder ball (with ghost support) intercepted him . If I had pushed a couple of seconds later I would almost certainly have lost.

Last edited:

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I'd like to play online and get some training from anyone willing to take the time. Add me, character code 584.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I am as addicted as I was on SC1. Thankfully the games don't last as long. I remember 6-8 hour marathons when you had a full group of people.

Interestingly though (and annoying) is that for some reason, people give up REALLY easy on this game if they don't have the upper hand. It really hits you on random teams. It's like if they can't barrage you with 50+ units then they just quit if they get attacked at all (even if it's not even their main base). Man the hell up ;) More than once I've come back from almost completely being wiped out and ended up winning.

The other annoying thing is people who think you should end the game because they feel they won. I laugh and milk it for as long as I can just to be my own kind of annoying.

I've noticed that too. Early on playing 2v2 I was playing as random and doing pretty well, but there was one game in which I got rushed and wasn't ready for it. I was zerg, so I started making some spine crawlers and eventually stopped the rush at the cost of about 75% of my drones. I figured I could come back from it if I could hold off any subsequent attacks and maybe got a little help from my partner. Unfortunately he quit immediately when he saw I was in trouble.

Now hold on a second...I know I should have been ready for a rush. My bad there, and I know I had severely reduced our chance of winning by getting in trouble early on. Tell me though, what chance is there of winning if you quit at the first sign of adversity?

Contrast that with a game I played this week where I lost my bnet connection and got dropped from a game just as my partner and I were about to push out. When I reconnected he messaged me saying "I won that game for you dude". I'm like "No shit!?!?" "Awesome dude". Sure enough I had another win in 2v2.

My point is that if partner #2 can win a 1v2 all by his lonesome, then we had to have a somewhat better shot when I was still in the game but severely weakened. Partner #1 traded a potential win for a guaranteed loss, AND the greater loss of experience playing the game in a tense situation. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

some do quit too early, but you are really a jerk for wasting time when you lost already. And what I mean by that is people who will just fly buildings around to delay the loss, or just keep building 1 building in the middle of nowhere with no intent on trying to win. That is a really crappy thing to do online.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hmm I think I found one of my biggest flaws. Just won a match earlier and the problem I found is that while I'm microing units (Reapers in this case), I spend way too little time in my own base. After I was done playing with my Reapers, I thought... man, I could really use some siege tanks in siege modes on the cannon wall to take him out. But the problem is, I spent all that time and have no extra tech building up (or already built). I had over 2000 minerals and enough vespene too... not to mention a separate base started that wasn't being fleshed out nearly enough.

What do you do to solve such micro vs macro issues? If I knew my teammate, I would've probably just gave him control and asked him to build up a few things for me, but it was a 2v2 Random.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Hmm I think I found one of my biggest flaws. Just won a match earlier and the problem I found is that while I'm microing units (Reapers in this case), I spend way too little time in my own base. After I was done playing with my Reapers, I thought... man, I could really use some siege tanks in siege modes on the cannon wall to take him out. But the problem is, I spent all that time and have no extra tech building up (or already built). I had over 2000 minerals and enough vespene too... not to mention a separate base started that wasn't being fleshed out nearly enough.

What do you do to solve such micro vs macro issues? If I knew my teammate, I would've probably just gave him control and asked him to build up a few things for me, but it was a 2v2 Random.
This is the problem everybody has, managing micro and macro. You need to hotkey your buildings so you can quickly select them and build new units while you continue to micro your army.

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
High DPI mouse plus hotkeys.

0 is my command center
5 for three scvs
6 for rax
7 for factory
8 starport
1-4 for attack units.

Harass with the reapers and if you see an opening where your reapers are harassing without opposition, double press 5 and spam some buildings if you need, and then double press 1 to bring up the reapers. With enough practice you can easily go from reaper to scvs plopping stuff down, etc back to reapers in 1-2 seconds.

For upgrading and building siege tanks while harassing with reapers you don't even need to take your eyes off the reapers as long as you utilize the hotkeys

there's also a custom map over in teamliquid that helps you train your APM. The map forces you to build a base and attack a computer base while rescuing a target in the middle of the map while microing a probe in the corner of the map to prevent it from being attacked by zerglings. All at the same time of course.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

there's also a custom map over in teamliquid that helps you train your APM. The map forces you to build a base and attack a computer base while rescuing a target in the middle of the map while microing a probe in the corner of the map to prevent it from being attacked by zerglings. All at the same time of course.

I would totally fail that. Just lost a close game today where I was about to load up my units into medivacs drop them into the zerg base but my sensor detected his force coming. So I redeployed and held off his attack. By the time I loaded up again and got to his base he was attacking again. My units killed his main but his attack ripped through mine. The kicker was that I had about 1400 minerals when his first attacked had ended. Had I trained units while I was attacking I could have held my main too. It was a close game still and he won since he had a few mutas when the dust settled. I'm pleased with bnet matchmaking.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
People get so angry over nothing when playing 1v1. The zerg ragequitting is getting a tad ridiculous.

7min win

the link is to a replay of me playing a zerg player who ragequits 7min in and calls me a i love you.

However hellions are pretty damn awesome vs zerglings.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is the problem everybody has, managing micro and macro. You need to hotkey your buildings so you can quickly select them and build new units while you continue to micro your army.

Oh I do hotkey my buildings and my main forces. But the problem I normally have is building new buildings, since you have to "disrupt" your micro for a second to actually place the building and possibly do some other crazy stuff involving building add-ons (as Terran, I sometimes have another building that I'm not using much build the add-on for another... especially Reactors since they take longer than Tech Labs).

0 is my command center
5 for three scvs
6 for rax
7 for factory
8 starport
1-4 for attack units.

Harass with the reapers and if you see an opening where your reapers are harassing without opposition, double press 5 and spam some buildings if you need, and then double press 1 to bring up the reapers. With enough practice you can easily go from reaper to scvs plopping stuff down, etc back to reapers in 1-2 seconds.

For upgrading and building siege tanks while harassing with reapers you don't even need to take your eyes off the reapers as long as you utilize the hotkeys

We use similar hotkeys, but I've never really used hotkeys for my SCVs because I always use a SCV that just returned minerals (or vespene) to make me something, but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

I might have to look for that map... it sounds pretty crazy :eek:.

EDIT:

lol @ "dbk"... what's that even supposed to mean... "don't be Korean". :eek:

Last edited:

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
People get so angry over nothing when playing 1v1. The zerg ragequitting is getting a tad ridiculous.

7min win

the link is to a replay of me playing a zerg player who ragequits 7min in and calls me a i love you.

However hellions are pretty damn awesome vs zerglings.

Good micro on the hellion. He would have had that game if he just charged your base with his lings. No wall means he'd shred your marines and the scv building the factory, but he took way too long plus he second guessed himself running up your ramp costing him a few lings. After that failed rush, the fast expand pretty much screwed him over for good. The fact that he went for the FE says to me he had no game plan beyond the ling rush.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Good micro on the hellion. He would have had that game if he just charged your base with his lings. No wall means he'd shred your marines and the scv building the factory, but he took way too long plus he second guessed himself running up your ramp costing him a few lings. After that failed rush, the fast expand pretty much screwed him over for good. The fact that he went for the FE says to me he had no game plan beyond the ling rush.

Yea that hellion was key.

I thought I was screwed since I didn't have an actual wall-in (which I hadn't realized until my marine ran out of the base after those lings). I just figured I'd try a quick harass to slow him down and then all of a sudden he quits.