** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Just posting this replay because I was particularly proud of my play in this game, although the game itself probably wasn't very entertaining. I got embarrassed chasing his probe around in the beginning because for some reason I'm still afraid of cannon rushes, but whatever.

Diamond-level (I'm upper-plat, he was mid-diamond), TvP (I'm the terran), let me know what you think. The way I scouted, reacted, and then anticipated (you'll see what I mean) made me a happy camper :). It's pretty much 4gate vs. marauder/marine/ghost. Only got one good EMP off in the main battle, and it was slightly off center. If stims had finished 15 seconds earlier it would have been even uglier. Guy kind of raged on me, actually. That's the first time anyone has been angry at me.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/62812-1v1-terran-protoss-blistering-sands
I don't know what you mean by scouting and anticipating, putting down 1 scan and seeing 3 gates doesn't necessarily mean he's going stalkers and 4 sentries (lol?) and for anticipation you were already going mass marauder. The unit composition was decent with 2 ghosts and you can't really go wrong with terran ball. But you won so who am I to judge :D

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Meh, I saw what I needed to see. I wasn't going mostly marauders until I saw, because that's almost never my strat. I had decided to go ghost early, I would have thrown a reactor on the second one if I didn't see the 4gate. Anyways, I mostly enjoyed the back-door thing. And yes, I have no idea why he had 4 sentries. And the force field fail was lulz, although it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't EMPd two of them.

Anyways, just wanted to share one. I'll find some more fun ones soon.

Last edited:

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Meh, I saw what I needed to see, and it was 4 gates, although I guess I only saw 3. I wasn't going mostly marauders until I saw, because that's almost never my strat. I don't even think I put down my 2nd rax until I saw, but I might have decided to go ghost early and done that anyways, I forget. Anyways, I mostly enjoyed the back-door thing. And yes, I have no idea why he had 4 sentries. And the force field fail was lulz, although it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't EMPd two of them.

Yeah the way he was caught out of position was priceless :D
It was good reactionary for sure to notice that immediately and prepare.
I liked how even when the game ended you didn't quit immediately and instead blew up all his buildings for him raging lol

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
theGOAT.658 on US gateway, just got home from work who's down for some 1v1, 2v2?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think my friend and I won what had to have been one of the most pathetic matches I've/we've ever played. We built up a fairly formidable force on marines + marauders and he had a lot of hydras and 'lings. Well, we went to go have fun in the enemy's base, but we were met with a literal wall of cannons (and enough pylons to practically be 1.5:1 cannons:pylons :p).

I told my friend to hold back while I built some siege tanks to take out the cannons. I brought a few in and started taking out their cannons when I got a warning about my base being under attack... by an ass ton of zerglings, a few ultralisks and zealots (yeah... zealots lol). Given that they had absolutely NO anti-air, I simply lifted my buildings off and let them sit there while I pulled my Banshees back to attack their units.

The problem was that I didn't expand enough, so I didn't have crazy enough resources to build tons of units at a time and given the large swarm of ground units, I couldn't easily land somewhere without losing a CC. I don't know what the hell my friend was doing, but the 5 ultralisks literally destroyed all four of his bases :eek:. I kept yelling in vent, "pull some brood lords back!"

Well, I found out at the end of the game, apparently I was lagging like crazy throughout the game (which I never noticed) and he never received any of my vent messages until the match was over when he received about all 20 at once :hmm:. Go go Comcast!

But we won because they still made absolutely no anti-air. Maybe they assumed that since we only had ground units outside that we had no air units so it was alright. I didn't suspect that they were full tier 1 units, or else I would've made a hell of a lot more Hellions than I did siege tanks. I was actually in the process of making a reactor for my factory when they attacked me.

I felt pretty damn pathetic for such a terrible win, but I guess as they say... a win is a win?

EDIT:

Actually no wait... the Protoss made I think one Void Ray :p.

mesthead21

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2004
I got 8 more games until im out of the practice league. Can you add me to the list?

handle: Svorce

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I don't know what you mean by scouting and anticipating, putting down 1 scan and seeing 3 gates doesn't necessarily mean he's going stalkers and 4 sentries (lol?) and for anticipation you were already going mass marauder. The unit composition was decent with 2 ghosts and you can't really go wrong with terran ball. But you won so who am I to judge :D

scanning can actually be counterproductive. As toss vs terran I always distribute my tech buildings in the edges of my base. Terran in like 99% of the cases scans either the area around minerals or the ramp/wall. My wall is always gateways + core (standard). But the twillight council, stargate,... are somewhere on the edge of my base and not visible to standard scans. You can also hide gateways in the base so he assumes you tech when you only go mass zealot with charge.
I think this is pretty standard to do for toss especially at high levels.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I got 8 more games until im out of the practice league. Can you add me to the list?

handle: Svorce

You can just skip the rest of those if you really want.

Also, you need to include the "character code", which is three digits. You can find this by hovering over your avatar and it will appear in the tool-tip. Your name is <nickname>.<character code> (the character in the middle being a period). My character code is 818, so I'm aikouka.818.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
scanning can actually be counterproductive. As toss vs terran I always distribute my tech buildings in the edges of my base. Terran in like 99% of the cases scans either the area around minerals or the ramp/wall. My wall is always gateways + core (standard). But the twillight council, stargate,... are somewhere on the edge of my base and not visible to standard scans. You can also hide gateways in the base so he assumes you tech when you only go mass zealot with charge.
I think this is pretty standard to do for toss especially at high levels.
True enough, and that's pretty effective for getting terran to waste more scans. Really though, my only big concern with toss is void rays, and at that point of the game and that number of gateways, I was pretty sure I didn't have to worry about that.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Just posting this replay because I was particularly proud of my play in this game, although the game itself probably wasn't very entertaining. I got embarrassed chasing his probe around in the beginning because for some reason I'm still afraid of cannon rushes, but whatever.

Diamond-level (I'm upper-plat, he was mid-diamond), TvP (I'm the terran), let me know what you think. The way I scouted, reacted, and then anticipated (you'll see what I mean) made me a happy camper :). It's pretty much 4gate vs. marauder/marine/ghost. Only got one good EMP off in the main battle, and it was slightly off center. If stims had finished 15 seconds earlier it would have been even uglier. Guy kind of raged on me, actually. That's the first time anyone has been angry at me.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/62812-1v1-terran-protoss-blistering-sands

"I hate you and your marauder cheese"

Hah!

4 gating against terran is always a risky proposition. I honestly wouldn't do it unless I scouted the terran doing something wonky that would impact his ability to mass marauder. Dude should have scouted you and switched to colossi and immortals. I'm primarily a terran player as well and I like to get a few vikings early on for colossi and void rays simply because I know so many toss players will use them against terrans. Throw a healthy number of marines in there for immortals and the combination as pretty hard to beat.

What I hate hate hate hate are Dark Templar. They always seem to catch me out of position with no energy for a scan because I constantly use it all up on mules. Gotta remember to add a few ravens to my lineup I suppose.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Colossi and Immortals don't really bother me at all, to be honest. My standard protoss strat is MMM/Ghosts, and I never really have much issue with it. Immortals explode after a single EMP. Colossi die fast enough if you can get the positioning advantage. Void rays are really the only thing I switch it up for, and I swear I still don't know exactly what to do against them.

I have really been enjoying Ravens as well later in games lately, more against Z/T though. It's an easy transition from the banshee harass I sometimes employ, and in the heat of battle, they never notice the seeker missiles until it's too late...

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Neither seem to work great for me, for whatever reason. Range/positioning always seems to be an issue with marines, and Vikings seem weak against them. I don't know, maybe I just need to realize what's coming sooner.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Neither seem to work great for me, for whatever reason. Range/positioning always seems to be an issue with marines, and Vikings seem weak against them. I don't know, maybe I just need to realize what's coming sooner.

You probably don't have enough marines. Marines with stim absolutely destroy voidrays. It's actually funny watching their shields and health just melt away. have to focus fire though but it works. Vikings are good but only in large numbers and with some good micro. After the flux Vanes upgrade VR's become very fast and it makes viks less useful. I generally will spam marines and take down the first wave of VR's and then immediately counter attack because they seldom have much of an army outside of the void rays.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005

I've had great success against void rays with vikings and moderate success with marines. You have to focus fire to really see any benefit. I haven't actually tested it but I think somewhere north of 8 vikings can one shot a void ray. Of course they'll be killing your vikings at the same time, but vikings are cheaper, train much faster, and you can get two out of a starport at a time with a reactor.

As a matter of fact, I have a replay of a game I played yesterday where I continually decimated my protoss opponent's void rays by keeping a relatively large group of vikings on the map at all times. I'll post it later if I can find it.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
"I hate you and your marauder cheese"

Hah!

4 gating against terran is always a risky proposition. I honestly wouldn't do it unless I scouted the terran doing something wonky that would impact his ability to mass marauder. Dude should have scouted you and switched to colossi and immortals. I'm primarily a terran player as well and I like to get a few vikings early on for colossi and void rays simply because I know so many toss players will use them against terrans. Throw a healthy number of marines in there for immortals and the combination as pretty hard to beat.

What I hate hate hate hate are Dark Templar. They always seem to catch me out of position with no energy for a scan because I constantly use it all up on mules. Gotta remember to add a few ravens to my lineup I suppose.

this happened to me yesterday- ihad this dude beat w/ an army of 2:1. i was moving my siege tanks into position and as i got them out of siege my army was trailing a few steps behind, his DT's came and took out all my tanks, and then his colossi and immortals cleaned up shop :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have really been enjoying Ravens as well later in games lately, more against Z/T though. It's an easy transition from the banshee harass I sometimes employ, and in the heat of battle, they never notice the seeker missiles until it's too late...

The Raven... the one unit I really need to learn how to use better. I've had fun dropping auto-turrets behind enemy mineral patches, but I could be doing much, much more with the seeker missiles and point defense drones.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
ok, so i lost 5 in a row, won 2, then got promoted from gold all the way to diamond. w00t!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There any recommended way to take out mass Banelings? Before I even knew it, the guy (literally) blew up one of my expansion bases with a ton of mass Banelings.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
There any recommended way to take out mass Banelings? Before I even knew it, the guy (literally) blew up one of my expansion bases with a ton of mass Banelings.

Seiged Tanks can do a lot of dmg vs them because they have such little health, the splash dmg helps. Also hellions with some micro can do well against them.

For fun if you see them coming and the other player has a+moved them, call down a mule on top of them and watch them blow themselves up then a tank can clean up.

Marauder slow is less useful but if you only have infantry they are the best option, or snipe them with ghosts if you have to as snipe will 1 shot them.

Also, liftoff the buildings if you have no other option.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, I probably should've considered Siege Tanks more in that fight... the guy mostly fought me with a MMM ball and the zerg was just trying to muta harass me (probably didn't appreciate my reaper harass earlier :p).

I think I'll check out the replay.

EDIT:

One thing I wish I would've done was build a sensor tower... I like them things.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Mmm good night. 2-0 in 3v3 and 3-0 in 2v2. Someday I'll actually get enough games in with my buddies to move up, we're all diamond 1v1 and certainly diamond together.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Looks like my problem I can see right now is... I'm not creating nearly enough workers. Looking 10 minutes into my match and I only have 16. Eventually, the opponents get up to about 32 a piece and have tons more resources. The one Terran guy also moved his out to his nat when his minerals started to become scarce... seems like a good thing to do.