** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
People get so angry over nothing when playing 1v1. The zerg ragequitting is getting a tad ridiculous.

7min win

the link is to a replay of me playing a zerg player who ragequits 7min in and calls me a i love you.

However hellions are pretty damn awesome vs zerglings.

all in all it's much better than it was in sc1 over the last couple years. only had 1 opponent saying stupid things. He said I was lucky. Basically I attacked when he dropped me. I chrono boosted a vr in the last second to kill his troops (i think only marauders) but my main base was more or less gone. he thought we were doing a base trade but in fact i already had 2 expansions including a gold one. I told him he was way behind anyway and then his rant started.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
I got Banshee rushed (TvT) for the first time and lost. So, I Banshee rushed my next Terran opponent who neglected his detection and air defense for an easy win. It's cool picking up new tricks from a loss.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
playing a "favored" opponent TvT, we both started out with a standard wall in. he got gas a little ahead of me, but i got orbital command earlier, so i was calling down mules while he wasn't (or at least not as early). i got a few rines to defend then moved right into tanks/vikings based on my scans of him (no hidden starport with tech lab or anything). pumped out a few vikings and saw he had no air force, so i immediately pushed in with 2 tanks, 4 vikings, and 8 marines. built a bunker in front of his base, and let my tanks start the siege. with constant reinforcements, the game ended shortly afterwards.

jumped 40spots in my league :D

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
So I'm watching the live stream of the 3rd place game at IEM? and it's pretty insane. It also is showing me that Terran's aren't really OP vs zerg or so it would seem. This zerg player using fungal growth and flank etc has been raping infantry pushes and it really seems even.

However if I see god damn reaper harass again I'll shoot myself it's so boring.

btw the tourney final is about to start if anyone else is interested/awake

stream

Last edited:

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
So I'm watching the live stream of the 3rd place game at IEM? and it's pretty insane. It also is showing me that Terran's aren't really OP vs zerg or so it would seem.
It seems to me that the issue is terrans can force unavoidable coinflips in the early game. Even with great effort zerg can't scout enough. One of the IEM final matches is a particularly ugly demonstration of this.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Despite the big hubbub about TvZ balance, I find that it's actually my hardest matchup as terran. You really need to harass zerg early in order to win and fight them, otherwise they build up a commanding lead, and as soon as they get muta's it's tough to fight them. A smart Z will not bunch up muta's meaning if you use thors, the costs will about equal while mutas fly and are much more mobile.

Even with 3-4 turrets up at my main, I must leave some other anti-air up in order to counter muta's. Generally this means I must build vikings, because thors are simply too slow to use offensively and if they are only used defensively, I just go vikings which are much more mobile and if micro'd can counter muta's more readily, although muta's are still much faster.

This means my ground army consists of marines + sieges though against zerg mid-game, which does work, but I absolutely must watch out for banelings :(.

Anyway, I've used reaper harass to good effect, but this latest match with Idra v. Morrow and morrow completely dominating and preventing teching to spire with his reapers, I'm unfamiliar with the build order. i didn't see the game, but I'm wondering if it's standard orbital opening or what. I know you need as many raxes as possible but just wondering.

Also, a build order for hellion harass? I know I don't use hellions nearly as much as I should, but I tend to find that only a few spine crawlers is enough to deter me, which is why I tend to not use them.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
wow, games are so much tougher since being bumped to diamond in 2v2. I think since moving up I'm 3-5 or 3-6 or something. When I was running 75% wins in plat. Everything that worked before just doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm having to try to adjust a lot of what I do and it is making it very difficult to win.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
It seems to me that the issue is terrans can force unavoidable coinflips in the early game. Even with great effort zerg can't scout enough. One of the IEM final matches is a particularly ugly demonstration of this.

Yea I understand that it's hard for zerg to scout a Terran, but that seems more of a zerg issue than a Terran one. Without being able to wall in Terran's are extremely vulnerable but it does give the advantage of hiding tech. If anything I feel zerg need an easier or additional way to scout other than by being hit in the face by the Terran tech.

However in the Dimaga games for 3rd place he did exceptionally well while facing the same Reaper harass/ wall in style play. I actually enjoyed his games much more than watching Idra play.

Also the mind game morrow played by going Reaper rush 3 games in a row and then walling in on the 4th and faking Idra into thinking he was doing it again was great, set him up perfectly.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Placed in 1v1 gold, but I really think I should be in silver. After playing my placement matches, I've lost at least 8 1v1 games in a row, which includes losing to plat, gold and even silver players. Anyone in Silver/Gold want to play some practice games?

Loken.285

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
talk about streaks...lost 4 in a row earlier, then just won 4 in a row, and now 5 out of 6.

We need to do an ATOT night of a bunch of 2v2 or 1v1 or something.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Wow, I just beat some guy and got 38 pts off him and promoted to Platinum. I don't understand this system. I was ranked 30th in gold, then beat some guy who is (now) silver. I don't know what he was before losing to me. But I lost my last two games, then won one and got promoted.

Actually, now that I check who the last two people I lost to were: one was a diamond player who beat me pretty badly and the other was a really close loss to a platinum.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
you are never updated on a single game. What happens is the system evaluates you ever 10 or 15 games I think it is. And depending how you do, you get promoted, demoted, or stay the same.

So theoretically, you could lose 3 games in a row and get promoted if you were on a hot streak then lost 3 at the end.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
you are never updated on a single game. What happens is the system evaluates you ever 10 or 15 games I think it is. And depending how you do, you get promoted, demoted, or stay the same.

So theoretically, you could lose 3 games in a row and get promoted if you were on a hot streak then lost 3 at the end.

I thought you're updated based on your rank within your division?

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

I see.

On an unrelated note: the second link on the first post of the thread is great. Build orders, micro, macro and counter units are all just tools in your tool belt, but they're useless without mental discipline.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
nope it's based on your points and an internal rating that you can't see. Division ranks are not that important.

It seems to me that division ranks are purely based off your points to the point where you can log out one day and log back in the next only to see that you've fallen ranks. Like I logged out at Rank 5 yesterday and logged in earlier today and was Rank 8. I then bounced around a bit, got up to Rank 4, won a match and jumped up to the bottom of the Silver League in 2v2 (Random).

Still definitely have a lot of work to do even though I technically moved up.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
BTW, 23 league games played. Zero against Zerg.

what league are you in? there aren't a ton of zerg around and the bronze/silver leagues are flooded with Terran as they are the race most people are familiar with.

And every time I play against zerg I get verbally attacked, it's kinda fun.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
what league are you in? there aren't a ton of zerg around and the bronze/silver leagues are flooded with Terran as they are the race most people are familiar with.

I can't give hard numbers, but I've played with and against a decent number of zerg in Bronze. I think there's a higher amount of Protoss than anything though (but not by much).

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

people bad manner me as soon as i stop their zerg and baneling bust rush. i don't get it =\

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
people bad manner me as soon as i stop their zerg and baneling bust rush. i don't get it =\

haha yep this is usually when I get crap from them as well.

It's not my fault I scouted the early gas and saw the predictable bling/muta build coming and countered it with a fat wall. The most hate I get is when right after I defend, the hellions come out to counter and they only have like 4 zerglings because they were certain it would work.

Last edited:

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
In game name is; Dauthi (Region US)

Pretty much only play protoss, occasionally Ill pay Terran.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Just posting this replay because I was particularly proud of my play in this game, although the game itself probably wasn't very entertaining. I got embarrassed chasing his probe around in the beginning because for some reason I'm still afraid of cannon rushes, but whatever.

Diamond-level (I'm upper-plat, he was mid-diamond), TvP (I'm the terran), let me know what you think. The way I scouted, reacted, and then anticipated (you'll see what I mean) made me a happy camper :). It's pretty much 4gate vs. marauder/marine/ghost. Only got one good EMP off in the main battle, and it was slightly off center. If stims had finished 15 seconds earlier it would have been even uglier. Guy kind of raged on me, actually. That's the first time anyone has been angry at me.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/62812-1v1-terran-protoss-blistering-sands

Last edited: