**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 19, 2000
I'm torn about whether to buy retail or just download. On one hand, I'd like to have the box and manual, but not having to head to the store and possibly fight any crowds is a big plus. Also, what if one of these days I end up with no broadband connection, there's no way I'll be able to download it again on dialup after a format, which I do atleast 3 or 4 times a year. I'll probably just wait for it in stores.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Posting for Warcrow while he is on forum vacation:

Valve announced that starting tomorrow at 1PM CST, you'll be able to buy
Half-Life 2 through Steam. As noted before, Half-Life 2 won't be immediately
available (with no release date set as of yet) but Counter-Strike: Source
will be. This also means the CS:S the beta will end tomorrow. ATI/Half-Life
2 bundle owners can use their product key to get the Bronze version, or use
the credit and then upgrade to Silver or Gold. Here's the pricing
1. "Bronze" -- $49.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Counter-Strike: Source
*(To be made available upon product's release.)

2. "Silver" -- $59.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam *(To be made available
upon products' release.)

3. "Gold" -- $89.95
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
-- Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life Collector's box
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold
packages purchased).
*(To be made available upon products' release.)

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
For the voucher holder people... is there a way to get the retail box with the voucher? I too would like a box and manual.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Damn I already paid in full for HL2 cause I had a gift cirtificate at game stop!!!! I want to play CS: Source tomarrow too!!! :( arrrr!!!

Apr 26, 2004
Fanerman,

You can get the retail box with the voucher. I think you also need a UPC from the card for that though. Doesn't look like they wanna hook up those who bought vouchers. Also, I think there was some ungodly long wait 4-6 weeks (after it's available, of course) or something like that.

imported_chrisbtx

Jun 8, 2004
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
silver it is. damn 90 bucks thats a lot.

MIKE

Yeah, I can't justify paying 30 bucks more just to get a hat I'll never wear, posters I'll never put on my wall, stickers I'll never even touch (I don't even know why they are including stickers), a strategy guide I'll never look at (I feel they are for novice gamers), a HL2 postcard that seems like it's a bit overkill that I'll never mail, the soundtrack cd that I'll never listen to... well, maybe once, and finally the collector's box which I would like to have, but would still just be for decoration in the end. The only thing out of the Gold package that really catches my eye is the chance to win a trip to Valve... so basically I'd be paying 30 bucks more for entry into a drawing to ultimately fulfill one purpose: go to Valve and punch out everyone I see for taking a tad bit too long for this thing to come out ;)

I guess the Gold package just isn't for me.... :D

To everyone who buys the Gold package knowing that what I just said applies to you too, have a :beer: on me... I'm sure you won't have enough impulse money left over to pay for it yourselves.... j/k

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
sjaxkingpin,

Do you mean I have to mail the thing to coupon to them or something and then they ship the box to me?

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: fanerman91
Do you mean I have to mail the thing to coupon to them or something and then they ship the box to me?

To obtain CD's of the game you need to go to http://www.ati.com/online/hl2/ and follow the instructions. They never state that they will send a box, but rather just the CD's. For the Valve premier pack they just sent CD's with the downloadable steam files on them.

What the say is you get the full retail game. Meaning not a limited game with fewer levels. Judging from the premier pack I would be more than suprised if they actually sent a retail box.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
Originally posted by: royaldank
How many maps are included with CS:S today?

most likely every original map. its just the original game w/ the new engine.

MIKE

Finally found the map info on another site. I've seen list 2 or 3 different places now and I think it's legit.

Maps included:

cs_havana
cs_italy
cs_office
de_aztec
de_cbble
de_chateau
de_dust
de_dust2
de_piranesi

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
What is included in valve's "back catalog"? This is in the silver & gold packages.

Ayone play DofD? I wonder why they don't include it with the special edition retail version???

Thanks!

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
I have played DoD non-stop since the first of August and I can't stop playing. I love the game...

It sucks that Valve is not including that with the Retail CE :| :|

Hopefully DoD:Source will not that be expensive on Steam

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Am I to understand that CS:Source is available in like 3 minutes? AAAarrrrrrrgh!

Um.... boss... *cough* *cough* *sniffle*.... I seem to be sick and stuff. I'll see you in a week. Bye!

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
I'm thinking of paying when I get outta work (already have the preload). First person to get it to work has to report back for us poor folk who are working. 2 1/2 more hours, hopefully by then congestion will die down enough.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
ive got it. i need to figure out why my filter wont let me view the games though. i cant get rid of some stupid semi colon in the filter.

MIKE