(OBR) AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz - "GPU Boost" and faked clocks!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Off topic is that way --->

You're really going beyond the call of duty here chimax. Above and beyond, while the new guy keeps his cool quite well. Thankfully one of you can focus on the topic and not the actual poster.

@ Final8ty, I enjoy the way you post. Got a level head.
/kudos

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
i think what he means is amd has a gpu running at 1200 but reports as 1050 to make it seem like its better than the 680 at 1050 when its really at 1200

so like wine amd gpus get better with age?? o_O

and yet the world still turns...:whiste:

Except that the 7970 performs better clock for clock above 1100mhz or so?

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
You're really going beyond the call of duty here chimax. Above and beyond, while the new guy keeps his cool quite well. Thankfully one of you can focus on the topic and not the actual poster.

/kudos

I don't really think that quote/link posts without any contribution is something to appreciate, but to each their own I guess.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Yeah but the 680 smokes it shader vs shader, IPC and all that.

IPC means pretty little for GPUs, what with massively parallel and all that. That said, clockspeed isn't much better when comparing over different architectures which makes OBR's statement even more baffling.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
I don't really think that quote/link posts without any contribution is something to appreciate, but to each their own I guess.

I rarely contribute in the OP because i don't want to influence it, the Quote and link should not require any.
I may comment later on though depending on the comments in the thread.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

/kudos

Oh hey, it's Keysplayr defending someone posting unsubstantiated rumor news showing AMD in a negative light. Didn't see that one coming.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I will give OBR credit for staying true to his sensationalist blogging style.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
OBR is worse than Charlie, but they both get things right once in awhile.

Given Dave B's posts on B3D though, I'm guessing that if AMD does include some kind of boost function it will be deterministic, where every card will attain the same clocks vs. Nvidia where it varies.

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
Curious to know what happened to the GK-100.

It became GK110, still not viable to be produced for the consumer market, and moved into the pro market.

But hey, Nvidia has still graced us with the 660Ti since it is their only chip that is procurable. Nvidia doesn't want another Fermi 480/580 debacle on their hands.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
It became GK110, still not viable to be produced for the consumer market, and moved into the pro market.

But hey, Nvidia has still graced us with the 660Ti since it is their only chip that is procurable. Nvidia doesn't want another Fermi 480/580 debacle on their hands.

Actually we don't know the internal changes NVIDIA made to their internal plans after the NDA on AMD's 7xxx series expired.

Something suggests they were very suprised by the performance...and the fact that a midrange part outdoes the oppositions highendpart is not something NVIDIA usually just let slide...they push their advantage to the max.

But right now I just think NVIDIA is looking at the GK104's flying out...and wish they had Intel's FAB capacity...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
It's no wonder people are leaving the sub-forum.

Doesn't look that way to me. In fact, there are numerous registers every day to take the place of those who leave. As long as that keeps happening, these forums wont change much.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
How ever you wish to see it brother. Suit yourself. I know what's up. ;)

I didn't see it as negative or positive, i clicked on a link that i got from a thread on xtremesystems.org, i though interesting rumour and posted away, beside here most have taken it for what it is and just commented on OBR and the possibility of GPU boost feature on the cards and moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.