(OBR) AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz - "GPU Boost" and faked clocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Newcomer AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition has "new special faking feature". It is own secret "GPU Boost" technic. AMD driver/GPUz reports different frequencies than they really are! GPU clocks of "GHz edition" are 1.0-1,1 GHz (some vendors has 1,05 or 1,075 MHz) AMD gave them a free hand in this. But there is impossible to check real frequencies, AMD keeps it masked by driver. Stay tuned ... we will prove it later. Card is here ... awaiting for detailed testing.

Update 1: Its look like, GPU is working @ 1,2 GHz instead of 1050 MHz reported in driver/GPUz/utilities. Power consumption/heat/noise corresponds to these higher clocks! Stay Tuned ...
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/06/amd-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-gpu-boost-and.html

Since the 7970GE has been released this thread has run its course.

-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
What...something negative about AMD video cards from OBR????:rolleyes:
OMG I'm shocked...shocked I tell you!:eek:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
OBR is once again throwing mud in AMD's name.

Unfortunately he was right regarding BD, but in this case, I don't see where's the conspiracy on behalf of AMD.

I mean MSI Afteburner and every other monitoring program out there, will log the frequency at any given time.

So if AMD has implemented a turbo like feature, so what?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
You realize OBR literally is an nvidia shill site ?

The guy is crackers and post bs all the time. He claimed he was at the nvidia pr conference for Kepler and wasn't.

Nutjob fanboy with a website is what OBR is.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
What...something negative about AMD video cards from OBR????:rolleyes:
OMG I'm shocked...shocked I tell you!:eek:

You realize OBR literally is an nvidia shill site ?

The guy is crackers and post bs all the time. He claimed he was at the nvidia pr conference for Kepler and wasn't.

Nutjob fanboy with a website is what OBR is.

LOL...OBR bashing AMD, what a surprise.

Man so much DejaVu.

It's almost like he's leaking painful bulldozer results as an Intel shill again, those can't possibly be right, IPC went up! :ninja:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Instructions per clock increase? Pretty neat trick without an architecture change. :D

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Instructions per clock increase? Pretty neat trick without an architecture change. :D

Its a comment from JFAMD when people started questioning Dulldozers performance. He kept repeating IPC increases and issapeared after launch.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Maybe they are going to be released at 1200MHz, but AMD has hidden the true clocks on engineering samples for disinformation?

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
The OP has just started a thread over at [H] as well.
Same thing...a link to the site and no comment.o_O
OBR...is that you?:confused:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Why is everyone so shocked at the higher performing AMD 7970? I bought a GTX 680 over a 7970 for a 3 monitor setup due to the 680 chip being more efficient with less power draw. However, the 7970 is a BEAST of a chip with untapped potential. It looks like AMD is starting to "fine tune" the chip and drivers to stay up with or beat the GTX 680. Why? Well the GTX 680 and more importantly GTX 670 are selling like hotcakes. AMD needs to get that fastest card title back. The real question is whether or not Nvidia will respond with "tweeked chips".

Personally, I think AMD underclocked the 7970 to be safe and have headroom.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
i am under impression that GPUz is reading the turbo wrongly...

anyway... is that really a problem?

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Man so much DejaVu.

It's almost like he's leaking painful bulldozer results as an Intel shill again, those can't possibly be right, IPC went up! :ninja:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I wonder if the increased clocks come from a respin or just from the headroom they had before.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
The OP has just started a thread over at [H] as well.
Same thing...a link to the site and no comment.o_O
OBR...is that you?:confused:

If you put some effort in you will see that its very common for me not to comment right away or at all, also while i do not have a signature here i do on [H] and seeing the nature of posts about OBR in this thread it would be every unlikely for me to have such a Rig if i was him.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
If you put some effort in you will see that its very common for me not to comment right away or at all, also while i do not have a signature here i do on [H] and seeing the nature of posts about OBR in this thread it would be every unlikely for me to have such a Rig if i was him.

What's the point then, if you're not commenting? Just starting a flame fest? :whiste:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
What's the point then, if you're not commenting? Just starting a flame fest? :whiste:

How you see it is up to you, im posting information and i don't have to comment on it.
I had no idea who this OBR was so don't presumes my intentions.
I have posted it on about 4 sites without issues, if you want to make i flame out of it then its your problem.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
How you see it is up to you, im posting information and i don't have to comment on it.
I had no idea who this OBR was so don't presumes my intentions.
I have posted it on about 4 sites without issues, if you want to make i flame out of it then its your problem.

lol, you must not visit this section often then bud. If you post OBR "news" as something believable, you're the one with the problem ;)

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
lol, you must not visit this section often then bud. If you post OBR "news" as something believable, you're the one with the problem ;)

No i don't visit this site often, so my excuse is understandable while yours is not.
Get used to me posting new threads without me making comments and i have no more time to waste on people who get upset about it and i said nothing about believing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.