(OBR) AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz - "GPU Boost" and faked clocks!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
No i don't visit this site often, so my excuse is understandable while yours is not.
Get used to me posting new threads without me making comments and i have no more time to waste on people who get upset about it and i said nothing about believing it.

Well buddy, from all of us here who aren't misinformed fanboys... nobody cares :colbert:

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Everyone remember when people slammed OBR for Bulldozer results saying they were fake cause they were so bad then we all found out he was right all along?

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
sssssh!! Ipc increases!! :biggrin:

moar cores

COREZ.jpg

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Everyone remember when people slammed OBR for Bulldozer results saying they were fake cause they were so bad then we all found out he was right all along?

Who's this 'everybody' because I remember a bloody war between groups who had concerns on the product from various leaked information and JFAMD trying to massage the tension by trolling and spouting the IPC Increase tag line.

Sorry sir, I don't remember everybody slamming OBR, but I do remember everyone fighting over the IPC Increase claim.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
mods might as well lock this before it gets out of hand. this is a worthless topic anyway. i want my 30 seconds back

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yeah, AMD is misreporting the GPU clock speed on purpose. It totally makes sense to misrepresent 1200mhz as 1050, because the average consumer gives a fck about the clockspeed. And OBR definitely has NOT made total inflammatory comments about AMD for the past year, sure he was right about crapdozer but he trolls AMD nonstop and always has even before and after that. Oh wait, anyone with a brain would know that he has trolled AMD for the past 2 years on his site even before crapcoredozer.

Seriously, think rationally, how does it make sense to represent 1200 as 1050. Why on earth would anyone report a lower than correct clockspeed? Not that the average idiot consumer even cares.

:rolleyes: I don't even run AMD anymore. Now below follows passive aggressive stupid comments about AMD shills and all that nonsense. I guess Shanee Ben-Zur isn't keeping her nvidia evangelism group in line this month.

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Well buddy, from all of us here who aren't misinformed fanboys... nobody cares :colbert:

There is no misinformed fan boys about it, and it seems you do care and have done nothing but throw out accusations and jumped to conclusions about me and been totally wrong on all fronts.

If you don't like my threads then don't read them and it seems your really more of what your claiming not to be.
I have not been accused of anything on the other forums but you and another member here have, its seems its you who is misinformed about me.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I wonder if the increased clocks come from a respin or just from the headroom they had before.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD clocked it up high and it ate 250~ watts.

AMD was never very smart.

250w with that performance (laughable against a much more efficient 680)...

AMD is just setting themselves up for failure, it opens the door for Nvidia to drop a power hog GK110 and roflstomp AMD once again.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
i don't see the problem, maybe i don't get it, are the clocks fake (actually lower or reported wrong) or are the clocks accurate but on a 1ghz card not at 1 ghz??

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD clocked it up high and it ate 250~ watts.

AMD was never very smart.

250w with that performance (laughable against a much more efficient 680)...

AMD is just setting themselves up for failure, it opens the door for Nvidia to drop a power hog GK110 and roflstomp AMD once again.

also lol at gk110, isn't that a tesla card??

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
i don't see the problem, maybe i don't get it, are the clocks fake (actually lower or reported wrong) or are the clocks accurate but on a 1ghz card not at 1 ghz??

also lol at gk110, isn't that a tesla card??

Apparently this clown is saying that the true clockspeed is higher than what the reported clockspeed per GPU-z is. Totally makes sense.

Lets degrade this into a dulldozer flamefest, ready go.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Apparently this clown is saying that the true clockspeed is higher than what the reported clockspeed per GPU-z is. Totally makes sense.

Lets degrade this into a dulldozer flamefest, ready go.

and thats bad...right? seems OK to me EVGA has a Free Performance Boost.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
There is no flamefest on the other forums regarding this, its seems that too many are geared up for one on this forum.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
so nvidia is going to sell consumers a 2000 tesla card for ~800??

why that doesn't seem preposterous at all...

I think they'll cut down the GK110 to make it fit in the current 500 dollar top slot while pushing the current 680/670 down in price. Nvidia doesn't have any reason to rush. Amd has nothing that competes.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think they'll cut down the GK110 to make it fit in the current 500 dollar top slot while pushing the current 680/670 down in price. Nvidia doesn't have any reason to rush. Amd has nothing that competes.

So the GK110 is done now? Dang, I thought it just taped out. (FYI tapeout -- > product = 9-10 months) Not to mention the GK100 being scrapped. Note: this is not a serious comment.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Nah they'll just cut out a lot of the GPGPU, same as they did with GF100.

Tesla sells for that much not so much because of the hardware, but because of the proprietary software it allows you access to.

Oh and because Nvidia dominates GPGPu.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
So when the gtx 780 comes out the 8970 will already be released?

and aren't most gpgpu whatevers going to open cl anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.