Obama administration officials can't guarantee middle-class Americans won't see tax hike

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: blanghorst
LOL @ The Noise Machine - time for another Tea Party!

Federal tax revenues as a percentage of GDP are at their lowest level since the 1950s - a $300 billion tax cut went into effect 4 months ago.

And the Fear Mongers get their panties twisted over:

Originally posted by: newnameman
Geithner said the White House was not ready to rule out a tax hike to lower the federal deficit ...

"There is a lot that can happen over time," Summers said, adding that the administration believes "it is never a good idea to absolutely rule things out, no matter what."

Of course, Obama's budget projections left the Bush tax cuts largely intact - boy, will the GOP look stoopid in 2 years.

:laugh:

I see the Obama cheerleader squad has arrived, just in time!

Way to not dispute a single thing I said!

The Noise Machine rules!

Have you not read the thread?

If Obama raises taxes after he promised not to do so (the Bush tax cuts are irrelevant to his promise, as is the GDP figure above), will you be disappointed and stop defending him?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: umbrella39
I made it clear during his campaign there was something about Obama that made me nervous and that I didn't trust the man completely.

Me, too. I voted for Obama and, frankly, still prefer him to McCain. That said, I'm still going to hold him accountable. Even if taxes haven't been raised yet, that doesn't mean his feet shouldn't be held to the fire for making promises he didn't know he could keep.

His promise not to raise taxes was designed to take the air out of the McCain campaign when they accused Obama of making promises that would cost the middle class. Like blanghorst and others have said, I don't think he's stupid or incompetent; however, that is the alternative to his less-than-forthrightness. I believe he lied, and I believe there was a very specific purpose to that lie: take taxes out of the election equation.

I will concede that if taxes have to be raised to pay for a pretty shaky UHC plan as it stands right now, he lied or at the very least, made very unrealistic promises he knew there was a big chance he couldn't keep. Same difference really...

After a few flames, looks like we're on the same page ;) I am more cynical about his motives, but the end result is the same.

:beer:

Indeed. :beer: I am hopeful that things are going to turn the corner soon with unemployment numbers and the economy but the cynic in me thinks things are going to get worse for at least another 12 months. Pushing through a rushed UHC and raising my taxes to pay for it when thing are already pretty tight (even working in health care) certainly wouldn't help matters. Once Obama proves himself to be not worthy of my trust, I will jump all over him like his predecessor.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Indeed. :beer: I am hopeful that things are going to turn the corner soon with unemployment numbers and the economy but the cynic in me thinks things are going to get worse for at least another 12 months. Pushing through a rushed UHC and raising my taxes to pay for it when thing are already pretty tight (even working in health care) certainly wouldn't help matters. Once Obama proves himself to be not worthy of my trust, I will jump all over him like his predecessor.

:thumbsup: I think we're on the same page here.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I think of myself as a real American. I will pay more taxes to save my country. And naturally I already pay a lot of taxes now.

Politician to Moonbeam: "Pay more in taxes. It's the patriotic thing to do!"
Moonbeam to T.V.: "My govt needs me. Honey, get my checkbook, quick!"

You first.

And our country needs saving alright...from nitwits like yourself and your cabal of liberal utopian politicians.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
So Obama has lied, people have died, AND they will be taxed to hell and back? Hope and Change!

You you're railing on Obama for what you allege are a continuation of GWB's policies that you supported? JFC you're a douche.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

If Obama raises taxes after he promised not to do so (the Bush tax cuts are irrelevant to his promise, as is the GDP figure above), will you be disappointed and stop defending him?

Federal tax revenues as a percentage of GDP are at their lowest level since the 1950s.

A $300 billion tax cut went into effect 4 months ago.

Obama's budget projections left the Bush tax cuts largely intact.

:laugh:

:music: :music: Set up - like a bowling pin
Knocked down - it gets to wearing thin
They just won't let you be
:music: :music:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Federal tax revenues as a percentage of GDP are at their lowest level since the 1950s.

A $300 billion tax cut went into effect 4 months ago.

Obama's budget projections left the Bush tax cuts largely intact.

How is any of this relevant to his pledge to NOT raise taxes?

EDIT -- instead of bowling, a better analogy would have been dodgeball, since you are so proficient at dodging the question above.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: sandorski
He didn't say "Never" and this doesn't say "When". Even without HealthCare reform, Increased Taxes to eliminate the Deficit was pretty much understood to be necessary. Time will tell what happens. If Obama does increase Middle Class Taxes, it'll probably be in his second term.

spin, spin, spin ad nauseum

Am I wrong?
You are smarter than this.

You give him way too much credit Skoorb.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Originally posted by: senseamp
If taxes cost less than healthcare premiums they offset, bring on UHC.

Translation: It is OK for him to lie, as long as it supports my position.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I think of myself as a real American. I will pay more taxes to save my country. And naturally I already pay a lot of taxes now.

Politician to Moonbeam: "Pay more in taxes. It's the patriotic thing to do!"
Moonbeam to T.V.: "My govt needs me. Honey, get my checkbook, quick!"

You first.

And our country needs saving alright...from nitwits like yourself and your cabal of liberal utopian politicians.

Funny how twits like you can fully support a president that ruined OUR country over his two terms and not give the current president a chance to gewt us on the right track.

If only you Neocons had been so worried about lying ass presidents when we were told Iraq had WMD's. <shakes head at people's idiocy>

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

These "no new taxes" pledges are only deal breakers for right wingers. I really couldn't care less if he goes back on it.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

These "no new taxes" pledges are only deal breakers for right wingers. I really couldn't care less if he goes back on it.

And if he "goes back" on health care reform?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
During the campaign I was hoping for my taxes to go down a bit but with the way the economy is looking, that seems unlikely. All I know is I continue to work my 40 hours a week and my taxes haven't gone up yet. When they get raised, I'll be pissed but I generally wait until something happens before getting all bent out of shape. I suggest others do the same, it might reduce your stress levels.

This has got to be the dumbest argument that I've ever heard. That's like charging $20k to your credit card and telling your wife not to bitch about it because you haven't received the bill yet.

Umbrella (and Sandorski, for that matter) is taking quite the gamble. They're convinced the tax hike isn't coming. They haven't put two seconds of thought into this. What politician starts talking about imposing tax increases when it's not about to become a reality?

"Oh gee, let's see... how can I create a bunch of unecessary negative press for myself today?!"

Get real people. When the POTUS starts talking about the possibility of a tax hike, you can bet your ass it's coming. The only way around it at this point is if the health care bill dies or is substantially changed.

Now, when the taxes DO happen (which they will if we remain on this course), what will their tune be? Umbrella says he'll be pissed. Ok. We've quoted that for posterity. Sandorski, however, will start apologizing.

None of it is surprising.

Bolded for bullshit. Don't put words into my mouth. I wasn't pissed off at Bush UNTIL he invaded Iraq. I shan't be pissed off at Obama for UHC that hasn't passed yet or taxes that haven't gone up yet. Try and get that through your head.

That worked out well didn't it?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

If he does now, it will be because it simply won't Pass.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
There are many different freedoms, but by far the most important is economic freedom.

But by all means if you like 52% effective tax rates, govt corruption, substandard health care, and a whole host of big govt programs, by all means consider an early retirement to Europe (my inlaws are from Spain by the way...). I'll even pay your one way ticket.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

That I do care about, and so should you since the status quo system has set sail for fail.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
There are many different freedoms, but by far the most important is economic freedom.

But by all means if you like 52% effective tax rates, govt corruption, substandard health care, and a whole host of big govt programs, by all means consider an early retirement to Europe (my inlaws are from Spain by the way...). I'll even pay your one way ticket.

I'll pay for your one way ticket to Afghanistan. There you can have unlimited gun rights and no functioning government.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
I'll pay for your one way ticket to Afghanistan. There you can have unlimited gun rights and no functioning government.
Exaggerate much? I think somewhere in the middle makes sense... less taxes, less govt services, more individualism. You know, kind of the principles of what our country was originally founded on...?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Exaggerate much? I think somewhere in the middle makes sense... less taxes, less govt services, more individualism. You know, kind of the principles of what our country was originally founded on...?

Not so eager to move to your rightwing utopia?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007

Such a lame response. You're smarter than that Senseamp.

Limited govt, lower taxes != Total chaos

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

I am smarter than that, but since you whipped out your "early retirement in Europe," you should consider early retirement in the wonderful rightwing utopia of Afghanistan. They have very limited government and low or no taxes. Great place for a right winger to relocate.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I am smarter than that, but since you whipped out your "early retirement in Europe," you should consider early retirement in the wonderful rightwing utopia of Afghanistan. They have very limited government and low or no taxes. Great place for a right winger to relocate.

Somalia is even better. The size of the fish they catch there are thi....umm bigger than I can stretch my arms. We're talking Mall sized fish! Retired persons paradise.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Nothing to see here people, everything is happening just as planned from the very beginning.