Obama administration officials can't guarantee middle-class Americans won't see tax hike

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I believe a few people in this thread would argue until they're blue in the face that you're jumping the gun to say the sun will set tonight. It's not set yet, so how can you possibly be so sure that it has? Get back to me when it has, until then, you're just jumping to conclusions.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I believe a few people in this thread would argue until they're blue in the face that you're jumping the gun to say the sun will set tonight. It's not set yet, so how can you possibly be so sure that it has? Get back to me when it has, until then, you're just jumping to conclusions.

Honestly, you could have just stopped at "I believe a few people in this thread would argue until they're blue in the face"

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: blanghorst

you guys are jumping the gun. not the first time and i suspect not the last either.

He promised no new taxes for the middle class in his campaign. His administration now acknowledges that it is a possibility. I can't predict if they will actually increase or not yet (though I suspect they will), but him reversing his position doesn't strike you as wrong?

No. If circumstance dictate a change of position, it is wrong not to change the position.

So Obama is really that stupid? He couldn't foresee that by spending hundreds and hundreds of billions in addition to the run up from the last administration would require raising taxes?

No circumstance has significantly changed to mitigate that. So you are left with two choices. Either he is stupid on the order of Bush, or he lies like Bush.

Hell, WE saw this coming, at least those who aren't smitten by him.

He's a lying politician like the last one, and like the last one there are those who line up to bend over for him. Pull your pants up.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: umbrella39
LMAO, in other words, you have NFC.

The article references the "possibility" of a middle-class tax increase being directly related to the health care overhaul. Obama campaigned for health care reform/overhaul last year, so Sandorski's contention that circumstances have radically changed is wrong. McCain and several posters on this board said that Obama's plan was not possible without a tax increase, which Obama denied.

Whether you guys like it or not, Obama has changed his stance and is positioning himself to break a campaign promise. I personally believe he knew very well that taxes would have to be increased on EVERYONE in order to meet his campaign promises. So either he knew he had to lie to get elected, he had no intention of fulfilling his campaign promises (which again makes him a liar), or he is incompetent. I don't believe he is incompetent.

As Skoorb says, this thread will very likely be bumped for laughs when taxes inevitably go up.

Incorrect.

You always reply with crap like this, but you never expand on it. Instead of just saying "wrong", "incorrect", "not true", why don't you try explaining yourself. What circumstances have changed? And don't just say "the economy."

You and I both know you are being horrifically ambiguous for a reason, but I'm going to make you say it.

Been asleep the last 6 months? Come on man, why do I need to go over all this when it just happened?? :Q

I'll just bit here really quick. Nothing has "radically" changed in the past 6 months at all. Obama was fully aware that the economy was in recession, that people wouldn't be hiring, and that more people would be losing jobs when he was elected and made his absolutely retarded promise that taxes for the lower/middle class would NOT be raised. The economy has done just as most people predicted, there really have not been any major new developments; most companies have tightened their belt and pulled through, a few went under, but no industry has seen any radical changes, and foreign economic policy hasn't really seen a drastic change.

In short, there is nothing that's happened in the past 6 months that Obama would have thought would not happen. All of this is really just what we knew would happen. So no, sandorski.

Also, don't bash on small government types. It's not even something limited to right wingers anymore. I mean do you see any Republicans politicians who want a small government? I don't. It's also an idealistic viewpoint, so while it has its merits, it is also not practical to an extent. But I don't think there's anyone who would argue that the government couldn't use some trimming up.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: senseamp
Not so eager to move to your rightwing utopia?

Such a lame response. You're smarter than that Senseamp.

Limited govt, lower taxes != Total chaos

Higher taxes and more government != total chaos either.

It only means that those who reap the best our society has to offer will have to pay more for that PRIVILEGE.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It only means that those who reap the best our society has to offer will have to pay more for that PRIVILEGE.
It has the potential to mean a lot more than that.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

you guys are jumping the gun. not the first time and i suspect not the last either.

He promised no new taxes for the middle class in his campaign. His administration now acknowledges that it is a possibility. I can't predict if they will actually increase or not yet (though I suspect they will), but him reversing his position doesn't strike you as wrong?

No. If circumstance dictate a change of position, it is wrong not to change the position.

So Obama is really that stupid? He couldn't foresee that by spending hundreds and hundreds of billions in addition to the run up from the last administration would require raising taxes?

No circumstance has significantly changed to mitigate that. So you are left with two choices. Either he is stupid on the order of Bush, or he lies like Bush.

Hell, WE saw this coming, at least those who aren't smitten by him.

He's a lying politician like the last one, and like the last one there are those who line up to bend over for him. Pull your pants up.

News flash for you, our current President is NOTHING like the last one.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It has the potential to mean a lot more than that.

That's why we have elections every two years.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

It does mean less liberty though, that is a fact as you can see from the countries that have tried your experiment.

You can always tell when somebody is against freedom (and obvious leftist as they go hand in hand) when the use the "well, they got rich because our great system so we should soak them".

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: spidey07

It does mean less liberty though, that is a fact as you can see from the countries that have tried your experiment.

You can always tell when somebody is against freedom (and obvious leftist as they go hand in hand) when the use the "well, they got rich because our great system so we should soak them".

And you can also easily spot all the trust fund babies as well.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Except for telling fairy tails.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

And those who sit on their ass reap the benefit of the hard work of others.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

you refering to WMD's?? :p

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Patranus

And those who sit on their ass reap the benefit of the hard work of others.

Anybody who has the time to post all the nonsense you post doesn't even know the meaning of the words "hard work" so fuck off troll.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

:cookie:

I thought that was obvious? WMD's, UHC without taxing the middle class, you name it. Hell, they both probably came from the same collection.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

He needs to pull his pants up too.

I'll repeat it once more. He is either stupid like Bush or lies like Bush. I think he's smarter, but I don't trust him. I went in to this Presidency hoping that for a change (pun intended) we'd have an intelligent and honest President. I think we have a smart liar. I'm so comforted by that. Not.

Now that won't stop the NeoCon equivalents who don't care that he lies as long as it suits their agenda. Seize power by telling that which was never true, circle up the shills who will play games and defend him to the loss of their own credibility, then say that it doesn't matter as long as their agenda wins.

PS, don't even think to try to tag me as a Bush supporter. I knew crap then and I know it now. Pawns too.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

that's funny...how many threads have we had here about issues that the liberals here were complaining about when GW was president, but now that Obama has decided to continue those exact same policies, the liberals are now okay with it?

Change we can believe in...

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

I'll repeat it once more. He is either stupid like Bush or lies like Bush. I think he's smarter, but I don't trust him. I went in to this Presidency hoping that for a change (pun intended) we'd have an intelligent and honest President. I think we have a smart liar. I'm so comforted by that. Not.

Now that won't stop the NeoCon equivalents who don't care that he lies as long as it suits their agenda. Seize power by telling that which was never true, circle up the shills who will play games and defend him to the loss of their own credibility, then say that it doesn't matter as long as their agenda wins.

PS, don't even think to try to tag me as a Bush supporter. I knew crap then and I know it now. Pawns too.

LOL@U You must be miserable all the time because I can't think of one President (or any other politician for that matter) who didn't/doesn't lie through their teeth. Catching them red handed is another matter.

We should make lying illegal for EVERYBODY with mandatory jail time if convicted. But we don't?

I wonnder why? :p

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: spacejamz

that's funny...how many threads have we had here about issues that the liberals here were complaining about when GW was president, but now that Obama has decided to continue those exact same policies, the liberals are now okay with it?

Got link?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

LOL@U You must be miserable all the time because I can't think of one President (or any other politician for that matter) who didn't/doesn't lie through their teeth. Catching them red handed is another matter.

Well look at who's playing down the lying game now...

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: spacejamz

Got link?

Search for Patriot Act.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

:cookie:

I thought that was obvious? WMD's, UHC without taxing the middle class, you name it. Hell, they both probably came from the same collection.

We don't even have government mandated health insurance yet, but I'm sure you can prove your accusation??

Or NOT.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Well look at who's playing down the lying game now...

EVERYBODY

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

We should make lying illegal for EVERYBODY with mandatory jail time if convicted. But we don't?

I wonnder why? :p

Because it's perfectly acceptable to you for a candidate to win millions by lying. You think it's a joke. You didn't mind when Bush lied about Iraq did you? Na, every President lies. It's no big deal, now at least.

The problem isn't that I find this unacceptable, it's that you have come to count on it as the norm.

So to cut to the chase, Bush = Obama. Ok, now we know.