NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 680 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I thought the main benefit of getting the shot was to minimize the COVID effects to your body (so you won't end up in the hospital if you do get it). At the beginning of the pandemic, kids that got COVID had minimal effects from the virus and rarely needed to go the hospital...and even if they got the vaccine, they can still pass it to others...

so what is the benefit to kids getting vaccinated for COVID?

Regarding the text in bold: the vaccine helps prevent children from acquiring covid. It helps prevent severe symptoms and hospitalizations and certainly deaths. It helps prevent spread of covid and can help children resume a more normal life. There are probably other benefits from children getting vaccinated that I can't think of at the moment.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
and you don't think 100's of kids will die after they get vaccinated? how may adults who have got the vaccine have died? pretty sure underlying conditions and other factors play a huge role in that number....

I have cancer and COPD, carotid steal & coranary artery disease. I had 2 shots & a booster. All I got was flu like symptoms and a huge boost in my antibodies

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Apparently the multivalent study had very limited slots so I didn't get in, bummer. They said I would not get kicked from the trial if I don't get the currently approved booster despite earlier statements to the contrary, so we'll see how long that holds up. I would probably get it if I was concerned at all about catching anything. This is in the flu shot category for me now, I will get it if I don't have to do anything or go out of my way otherwise effort outweighs risk for me.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Regarding the text in bold: the vaccine helps prevent children from acquiring covid. It helps prevent severe symptoms and hospitalizations and certainly deaths. It helps prevent spread of covid and can help children resume a more normal life. There are probably other benefits from children getting vaccinated that I can't think of at the moment.
It also exempts them from quarantine at most schools.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
so what is the benefit to kids getting vaccinated for COVID?
The main benefit is that we can go back to a much more normal life.

If you haven't noticed, kids tend to spread diseases. They tend to be dirty (dirt, nose picking, putting things in their mouth, etc), to spread the dirt and germs everywhere, and to interact closely with many people (hugs, being carried, playing, etc). That means millions of caretakers are at risk for their own lives if their kid gets and spreads Covid. Millions of people are not working despite plenty of jobs because of the possibility of getting Covid from the kids. When schools and daycares can return to a much more normal routine our economy can return to a much better place.

As a side benefit, vaccines will save roughly a net 60 kids lives this year.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
and you don't think 100's of kids will die after they get vaccinated? how may adults who have got the vaccine have died? pretty sure underlying conditions and other factors play a huge role in that number....
The fuck? No...you think a vaccine that kills hundreds would stay on the market?

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thought this was a good read:

A worker there made the point that her employer making her decision for her made it simpler. Leaving it up to the employee to make the decision is asking for trouble. Mandates work better than, "you decide." Far far too many people are not in a position to make an informed decision, it's not in their wheel house, and pressed will say, "I'll wait and see" because they are in a world of doubt.

Jan. 4 is the deadline Biden just set for companies with at least 100 employees to have their workers vaxxed or weekly tested. Good move. Personally, I like the employers who are saying get vaxxed, period.

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There have been 6,643 deaths reported in VAERS for all COVID vaccines (~3k for pfizer & ~3k for moderna).
VAERS - Data (hhs.gov)

Reading the disclaimers is kind of important...

Key considerations and limitations of VAERS data:

• Vaccine providers are encouraged to report any clinically significant health problem following vaccination to VAERS, whether or not they believe the vaccine was the cause.
  • Reports may include incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental and unverified information.
  • The number of reports alone cannot be interpreted or used to reach conclusions about the existence, severity, frequency, or rates of problems associated with vaccines.
  • VAERS data is limited to vaccine adverse event reports received between 1990 and the most recent date for which data are available.
  • VAERS data do not represent all known safety information for a vaccine and should be interpreted in the context of other scientific information.

Feb 4, 2009
There have been 6,643 deaths reported in VAERS for all COVID vaccines (~3k for pfizer & ~3k for moderna).
VAERS - Data (hhs.gov)

I am tired of this data being misrepresented @K1052 is correct. They track ALL deaths, all as in the kid or guy killed in a car crash or the old guy who was in hospice.
Nobody has claimed the vaccine(s) make you immortal.

Feb 4, 2009
The longer I am on these forums the more irritated I get by people NOT READING LINKS.
Below is what you have to go thru to get to the VAERS data:
2A7FBAF1-F6A2-4BBD-9C36-0004D0A6513F.png
6521FE50-3770-4474-8EBA-E75D53FD6272.png
A67E9B00-17E9-43DA-AE72-F7E0A829214C.jpeg799051E6-05C4-4D7F-932E-E62B5B6BCE00.pngE2E34C9D-DC44-4408-A9E0-EFF73287F26A.png

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

You can compare to other vaccines to get an idea. It has certainly caused more than hundreds of deaths. It has also saved many times over that. I am not anti-vaccine, but be realistic.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was pretty uncooperative with needles when I was a kid. My poor parents and nurse if there was a blood draw lol.

As I got older I finally learned just to distract myself.
Blood draws are way way tougher than a simple vaccination shot. IV's are worse than that. I always pride myself on being a good patient. I do what they say. I make a fist and look the other way, don't flinch or make a peep. These people do this all day and have to face all kinds. It's for your own good.