NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 677 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Checked in on Novavax and they finally filed for approval in the UK. Says they are still going to try for EUA in the US by the end of the year but good luck with that.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Checked in on Novavax and they finally filed for approval in the UK. Says they are still going to try for EUA in the US by the end of the year but good luck with that.
It says they will submit the "complete package" to the FDA, doesn't specifically say if it'll be for a EUA or full.

My wife was in their trial, got the first shot in Feb. She couldn't keep waiting on them, though, and got the J&J in August as well.

Having another option is good, especially because they have an approved flu shot too, so hopefully they can do a combo shot in the future.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got my Moderna booster jab yesterday at noon, i.e. 30 hours ago (am double Moderna vaxxed, 2nd shot on March 3, 2021). So far the only side effect is a little arm soreness (only noticed if I raise left arm high), even milder reaction than my first two shots, the effects of which were quite mild and tolerable. This is like nothing.

Edit: 12 hours later. Still like nothing. Never any fever either.

Edit2: 5 days after shot. Like it never happened. A little arm soreness that went away over 3-4 days, gradually.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
This is just conjecture and experience has shown that the mandates generally are achieving high vaccination rates with minimal job loss due to refusers.
On of the places I work with (~3500 employees) passed a vaccine mandate and hundreds of people complained and said they wouldn't get vaccinated. The termination date is coming up and it sounds like 3 whole people are getting fired

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
On of the places I work with (~3500 employees) passed a vaccine mandate and hundreds of people complained and said they wouldn't get vaccinated. The termination date is coming up and it sounds like 3 whole people are getting fired

But you don't know how many sought and got a religious exemption. I didn't think it was going to work but if the Government is going to start forcing companies to mandate, the inevitable result is that companies will just approve any RE request unless they want the employee gone for non-vaccine reasons.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But you don't know how many sought and got a religious exemption. I didn't think it was going to work but if the Government is going to start forcing companies to mandate, the inevitable result is that companies will just approve any RE request unless they want the employee gone for non-vaccine reasons.

I'd want to see some actual figures before taking this as gospel.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
My crazy coworker showed me her “affidavit” she is going to turn in for her exception. Of course, the company has since released guidance and a notarized “affidavit” signed by yourself saying “you’re violating my rights” isn’t going to float. We’ve been told no one will be fired on 12/8 but will need to be “counseled.”

The affidavit was pretty comical and she kept saying that her rights are being violated. I explained the USSC has, in the past, found vaccine mandates Constitutional. She said “only Congress can make laws!” I said “You’re not getting how this works - the USSC is who determines what is constitutional, not Congress.” I told her that her affidavit won’t float and she said “They HAVE to accept it and I’ll sue them if they don’t!” I wished her luck but I think she is going to be in for a shock.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
RE: mandates
I wonder how many people have turned to that "preacher" that said he'll give anyone a religious exemption if they make a "donation" to his church.
I also wonder how many are turning to buying/getting fake proof-of-vaccination cards.

On a lighter note...
Anti-Vaxxers Are Asking People To Stop Calling Them Anti-Vaxxers Because It's "Highly Offensive"

edit-
Oops, almost forgot this
COVID-19 Vaccine Patch Is Better And Faster Than Injection In Mouse Trials
For the people that are scared of needles.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If an entity wants to check on if the people filing for exemptions are legit or not they should hire a small team of teenagers to scrape all the Facebook pages of the people in question because they are definitely not smart enough to not have posted their little scheme for everyone to see.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

My brother's girlfriend has a severe needle phobia but that didn't stop her from being vaccinated with TWO doses: it took a much more complicated approach but she managed, with my brother's and the nurse's / doctor's @ the vaccination site's help.

Reactions: Captante

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, there's this from State of Massachusetts (https://www.wbur.org/news/2021/10/2...pended-fired-or-resigned-over-vaccine-mandate)

141 were fired or quit
362 were suspended (article says Union workers got a 15 day stay)
2138 are in limbo

That would be about 6% total, and the 94% includes people who sought and already got an exemption.

Now the Union workers could get the vaccine between now and when their stay ends; and the article doesn't say how many of those in limbo are people seeking an exemption versus some other reason. MA's got to be pretty close to #1 in vaccine adoption too.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
The more ways there are to get people around the world vaccinated the better, be it needles, patches, nasal sprays, salad dressing*, whatever. We need vaccines that can get to the people that need them worldwide.

* - it's a link to a post of mine in P&N. Click for a chuckle if you want, or not.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was surprised at how much you don't actually feel the needle going in. The 2nd shot I did not even feel the actual jab. I tend to look away and I rather not know when it's going in but it never really bothers me.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was surprised at how much you don't actually feel the needle going in. The 2nd shot I did not even feel the actual jab. I tend to look away and I rather not know when it's going in but it never really bothers me.

Depends on the location I think. Sites that offer more than one vaccine would use a generic bigger needle. My first Moderna shot had a tiny needle aince that is all they did but my second it was the same needle they use for Pfizer so bigger, that site administers both of them..

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The more ways there are to get people around the world vaccinated the better, be it needles, patches, nasal sprays, salad dressing*, whatever. We need vaccines that can get to the people that need them worldwide.

* - it's a link to a post of mine in P&N. Click for a chuckle if you want, or not.

What would happen if you were to drink a vaccine vial like a shot would it actually work? Ex: dilute the actual dose in a neutral solution (just water?) so that it's easier to consume. Maybe they need to serve those at restaurants. "One round of Pfizer coming up!".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Depends on the location I think. Sites that offer more than one vaccine would use a generic bigger needle. My first Moderna shot had a tiny needle aince that is all they did but my second it was the same needle they use for Pfizer so bigger, that site administers both of them..

I think it's more a matter of what syringes they've got on hand. Both vaccines can be delivered with a 25 gauge needle, this is what I got all three times. Barely felt anything.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

I did feel it, both times, but VERY slightly: i was expecting it to hurt, TBH.

I usually close my eyes to "not see it coming" ... but the nurse was pinching my arm several times right before the shots so closing my eyes "didn't work as well" but, as i've said, i barely felt them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

That's the case with EVERY shot compared to when I was a kid. :oops:

Back then needles were re-used and often needed to be sharpened! (It was like getting injected with a knitting needle)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
What would happen if you were to drink a vaccine vial like a shot would it actually work? Ex: dilute the actual dose in a neutral solution (just water?) so that it's easier to consume. Maybe they need to serve those at restaurants. "One round of Pfizer coming up!".
I was said later in that thread, drinking it does no good. I'm not sure if it's the right wording but it needs to be intra-muscular, like any other vaccine.
Would be nice though.

We got boilermakers, what would you call a shot of vaccine dropped in your beer?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was said later in that thread, drinking it does no good. I'm not sure if it's the right wording but it needs to be intra-muscular, like any other vaccine.
Would be nice though.

We got boilermakers, what would you call a shot of vaccine dropped in your beer?

Nasal vaccination is also an option that's being tested. Might be superior to intramuscular injections in the case of a respiratory virus.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Would be nice though.

Yeah that's what I thought, going through digestive system is not quite the same as straight into the blood stream. Or I guess in the muscle, but that's probably just a way to get it in the blood.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
RE: mandates
I wonder how many people have turned to that "preacher" that said he'll give anyone a religious exemption if they make a "donation" to his church.
I also wonder how many are turning to buying/getting fake proof-of-vaccination cards.

On a lighter note...
Anti-Vaxxers Are Asking People To Stop Calling Them Anti-Vaxxers Because It's "Highly Offensive"

edit-
Oops, almost forgot this
COVID-19 Vaccine Patch Is Better And Faster Than Injection In Mouse Trials

I fully expect that when my crazy coworker’s exemption is denied, she’ll have to find one of those preachers. I suppose she might resort to faking a vaccine card, but she probably isn’t careful enough to note that the vaccines are 3-4 weeks apart and the actual deadline is 11/24. I suppose she could say she got the J&J vaccine. She’s “standing on principle” but I’d wager she isn’t principled enough to lose her job over it and will try something.

You guys would not believe how crazy she is and I could write a book in her idiocy of the past year. My favorite was saying all the mainstream news orgs are “fake news” but citing a known Russian troll site as “proof” that the vaccine was deadly since it claimed 5 people in the Ukraine died “testing” an American vaccine. So many holes in that logic…..

ruudetkinsons

Oct 28, 2021
Hi I'm new here. I was on the plane to Russia when I got the Spudnik Vaccine.
I was emailing my friends before I got on the plane and still emailing thanks to the Vaccine!