NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 470 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I had been wondering if the positivity rates are for people showing some kind of symptoms. I guess no. So, the lower rates don't necessarily mean a lot. I mean, where I am the P rate is around 2-3%. Some places in the US are over 25% right now. But if a whole lot of people are getting tested with zero symptoms it doesn't tell me a lot.
The increased visibility helps with isolation and contact-tracing which depresses the spread. Helps catch more asymptomatics too.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I had been wondering if the positivity rates are for people showing some kind of symptoms. I guess no. So, the lower rates don't necessarily mean a lot. I mean, where I am the P rate is around 2-3%. Some places in the US are over 25% right now. But if a whole lot of people are getting tested with zero symptoms it doesn't tell me a lot.

The increased visibility helps with isolation and contact-tracing which depresses the spread. Helps catch more asymptomatics too.

More testing will give you a lower, or should we say truer, positivity rate. Additionally, we could control the spread better if you knew who was asymptomatic. We would quarantine and contact trace. Rinse and repeat. When we do this the virus isn’t changing hands so often and is not in the community as deeply. This limits transmission and will reduce positivity. The death rate will also be impacted, as well as the number with complications, long-term haul or any impacts, logically.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The CDC met today and talked about all the various issues regarding a mass vaccination campaign.

Apparently you will receive a card that designates which vaccine you got in the first dose that you turn in for your second dose (must be the same vaccine). Also they're going to text people when it is time for their 2nd dose.

Nov 8, 2012
The CDC met today and talked about all the various issues regarding a mass vaccination campaign.

Apparently you will receive a card that designates which vaccine you got in the first dose that you turn in for your second dose (must be the same vaccine). Also they're going to text people when it is time for their 2nd dose.

lol carrying around cards for records of vaccination...

Well there is one argument for government run medical data at least... Or at minimal, an "all in one" place to retrieve medical records.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
lol carrying around cards for records of vaccination...

Well there is one argument for government run medical data at least... Or at minimal, an "all in one" place to retrieve medical records.

Technologically antiquated would probably be a generous way to describe the public heath infrastructure in the US.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Well we got the word that my daughter's teacher was one of the teachers potentially exposed, so they made her stay home until 11/2. Took my daughter to school and they didn't have any subs lined up so I took her back home and told her to log on for her morning meeting and wait for instruction. What a cluster...Almost all the 3rd grade teachers were exposed and they're home. I think there was only 1 3rd grade teacher that didn't meet with the rest. If her teacher is starting to show symptoms, I would imagine my kid is going to have to quarantine along with all her classmates?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
More testing will give you a lower, or should we say truer, positivity rate. Additionally, we could control the spread better if you knew who was asymptomatic. We would quarantine and contact trace. Rinse and repeat. When we do this the virus isn’t changing hands so often and is not in the community as deeply. This limits transmission and will reduce positivity. The death rate will also be impacted, as well as the number with complications, long-term haul or any impacts, logically.
Well me as a super deep SIP, seems to me that adding my data point is rather meaningless. It's as if I'm not here as far as accuracy of the data is concerned. It's not like I'm mingling like the "average" citizen. I'm just not risking catching this.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Well me as a super deep SIP, seems to me that adding my data point is rather meaningless. It's as if I'm not here as far as accuracy of the data is concerned. It's not like I'm mingling like the "average" citizen. I'm just not risking catching this.
I agree, I don't see the strategic value to purposely adding the extreme SIP citizens to the testing pool just to drive the positivity rate down lower. Maybe if the goal is to get the theme parks opened up. :p

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I agree, I don't see the strategic value to purposely adding the extreme SIP citizens to the testing pool just to drive the positivity rate down lower. Maybe if the goal is to get the theme parks opened up. :p

It is not to drive the number down. How do you know if a SIP person is asymptomatic? How do you know where they got it? You cannot SIP 24/7/365. You have to interact with a delivery person, a drive through person, walk past someone, etc. It’s not to drive down the positivity rate, it’s to make sure you have everyone infected, even asymptomatic and SIP asymptomatic folks. I would prefer the true positivity rate of this virus so we can plan accordingly and get back to a more normalized existence.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It is not to drive the number down. How do you know if a SIP person is asymptomatic? How do you know where they got it? You cannot SIP 24/7/365. You have to interact with a delivery person, a drive through person, walk past someone, etc. It’s not to drive down the positivity rate, it’s to make sure you have everyone infected, even asymptomatic and SIP asymptomatic folks. I would prefer the true positivity rate of this virus so we can plan accordingly and get back to a more normalized existence.
I understand your broad point that you want the testing regime to be robust and accurate, but if you know a little about Muse, he does SIP 24/7/365. :p

The interactions you describe are highly unlikely to transmit CoV-2.

FWIW, I'm not aware that CDC recommendations on testing have changed much over time:

I'm not saying your points are incorrect; just that I don't see a need to encourage Muse to go get tested for Covid-19.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I understand your broad point that you want the testing regime to be robust and accurate, but if you know a little about Muse, he does SIP 24/7/365. :p

The interactions you describe are highly unlikely to transmit CoV-2.

FWIW, I'm not aware that CDC recommendations on testing have changed much over time:

I'm not saying your points are incorrect; just that I don't see a need to encourage Muse to go get tested for Covid-19.

I feel everyone needs to get a test, even Muse. I get what you are saying, but given the way the CDC has been manipulated for political purposes, I do not hold much weight on their current recommendations, unfortunately.

Nov 8, 2012
Technologically antiquated would probably be a generous way to describe the public heath infrastructure in the US.

Admittedly it's just the management of the system. Anthem can't account for the data collection of Cigna, UHC, Bluecross, Kaiser, etc... They simply don't have the legal authority.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Admittedly it's just the management of the system. Anthem can't account for the data collection of Cigna, UHC, Bluecross, Kaiser, etc... They simply don't have the legal authority.

In part. A lot of labs that spun up COVID testing had to fax results around which is slightly sub optimal when time is a crucial factor. The reporting infrastructure was a laborious mess and might still be in places.

Nov 8, 2012
In part. A lot of labs that spun up COVID testing had to fax results around which is slightly sub optimal when time is a crucial factor. The reporting infrastructure was a laborious mess and might still be in places.

That was definitely something to do with laws - not the market. The market would have addressed that a LONG time ago.

It's only recently that electronic forms have FINALLY been accepted.

As little as 5 years I ago I remember that it didn't matter WHAT it was - Prescription refill? Had to be either a paper from the doc office themselves OR a FAX. Not an email. Not an integrated system. a FAX.

Need your medical records? We don't email them, we only FAX them.

Doctor's office needs a copy of your past records? You have to FAX them.

Now they have stuff like prescriptions that are integrated to pharmacies where they can electronically send it - no email, no fax - just auto goes to the pharmacy.

Hospitals and medical facilities can also now have portals to upload/download documents as well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That was definitely something to do with laws - not the market. The market would have addressed that a LONG time ago.

It's only recently that electronic forms have FINALLY been accepted.

As little as 5 years I ago I remember that it didn't matter WHAT it was - Prescription refill? Had to be either a paper from the doc office themselves OR a FAX. Not an email. Not an integrated system. a FAX.

Need your medical records? We don't email them, we only FAX them.

Doctor's office needs a copy of your past records? You have to FAX them.

Now they have stuff like prescriptions that are integrated to pharmacies where they can electronically send it - no email, no fax - just auto goes to the pharmacy.

Hospitals and medical facilities can also now have portals to upload/download documents as well.

Kinda, there really wasn't a market for the mass diagnostic testing and reporting that all sorts of labs are running now. The big clinical labs outfits like Quest are connected to their clients systems but that's kind of it AFAIK.

The pandemic is going to make Telehealth a lot more accepted at least which a a huge timesaver.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
RE: testing/free testing starting on page 466
I took another of Georgia's free COVID-19 tests last week.
If you mean that no test is free because we, as taxpayers, still have to pay for it... sure, but that comment was about how the US compares to other countries. The ultimate cost and the fact that "someone has to pay for it" would be the same for testing in any other country.
I realize 'someone' is ultimately paying for the "free test". I know nothing is free.
But let me ask you this... if you had to pay $50 - $200 out of pocket each time you got tested would you have gotten tested as many times as you have?

I called & checked, CVS, Rite Aid & Walgreens do no testing at all here. No free testing even near us either.
My local pharmacy does no testing . I asked when i got my flu shot. They referred me to the places i had already mentioned before.
I haven't been home much so i haven't spoken to my health ins. provider but will try this coming week. Plus another co-worked had to get tested so i'll talk to him when he gets back.

I'm not arguing all tests should be free, i'm just commenting on your comment, "Anyone who thinks there is still a lack of availability for testing in the USA is kidding themselves."
Not everyone can (potentially)pay that money for a test, let alone the possibility of get tested several times.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As Europe cycles into its own new round of targeted closings seems to be mostly focusing on bars and restaurants again. I think we have a really good idea where people are getting the virus if not from a family member at home or small domestic gathering.