NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 468 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
The flu vaccine shot is like a 1/10 on my needle terror scale, barely feel a thing. It's such a super trivial inconvenience that it's more than worth it.

yeah i never feel a thing when they're doing it. compared to the hundreds of blood tests i've had to get done over the years, it's pretty benign

Reactions: K1052

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Curious: Does he get sunlight each day or take a vitamin D supplement? Does he have dark skin or light?

People who get plenty of vitamin D generally do not get very sick at all from COVID-19

Good to hear that he is recovering.

Light skin, jogs daily outside, lifts weights, is in a shape, at a healthy weight, no vices (doesn't drink or smoke, no drugs or vaping, etc.). Fairly healthy lifestyle. Early 30's.

I've heard of younger people getting COVID, but it was surprising how hard he got hit, especially based on his biometrics. He's going into week 4 & is functional again, but says he's still really tired all day even after sleeping a lot & is still coughing.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
People have different phobias. My wife is scared of rollercoasters. Some have fear of heights. Some are afraid of flying. I'm not scared of any of those things but I know people who are. For me, I have fear of needles. But it's not crippling phobia. I would say moderate. I'm willing to get a shot of something if it has near 100% effectiveness rate. Flu shot effectiveness is really piss poor most years. And I'm at super low risk of getting the flu. So for me, I don't think it's worth risk/reward. Your mileage may vary.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reportedly Pfizer is almost at 40K enrolled and have second dosed 34K participants.

The company is seeking to trial the vaccine in kids down to age 12. Safety profile must be pretty encouraging to go for a second expansion of the trial.

Reactions: CZroe and Ajay

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I am not allowed to get a flu shot until the end of the month but I will most likely do it then, I'd rather avoid the potential double infection personally. Normally I don't bother with a flu shot and I either only ever got it once or am one of the asymptomatic flu carriers.

Reactions: CZroe

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm waiting for a script to be refilled today at Riteaid, when I pick it up, I'll get a flu shot. I have done so every year since I got married (to a elementary school teacher).

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Fear of needles. So it's risk/reward. I don't think the flu vaccine effectiveness is worth getting the shot. For me at least. I need way higher guarantee than like normal 50/50 success rate to be convinced to take the flu shot.

Get the nasal flu mist. No needle, but costs more.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I like getting shots.
cee207bc5993e10dd60a48c417e8f988.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You'll probably need a new one, as the latest version for the upcoming season is usually only distributed in August/September

Yeah, which is why you quoted me saying...
Still need to get the new one.

;)

I will. Very soon. Thanks. :)

Fear of needles. So it's risk/reward. I don't think the flu vaccine effectiveness is worth getting the shot. For me at least. I need way higher guarantee than like normal 50/50 success rate to be convinced to take the flu shot.

When I got mine back in April or May they literally stuck me while I was still sitting down/settling from taking off my long-sleeve over shirt. I was still talking and didn't even realize they had done it.

You have nothing to worry about. Look the other way or close your eyes if needles bother you.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
People have different phobias. My wife is scared of rollercoasters. Some have fear of heights. Some are afraid of flying. I'm not scared of any of those things but I know people who are. For me, I have fear of needles. But it's not crippling phobia. I would say moderate. I'm willing to get a shot of something if it has near 100% effectiveness rate. Flu shot effectiveness is really piss poor most years. And I'm at super low risk of getting the flu. So for me, I don't think it's worth risk/reward. Your mileage may vary.

That's a perspective problem. It isn't "piss poor" at protecting from the strains it was made to protect against. They were simply "piss poor" at including all relevant strains or predicting which would be relevant. Also, new strains can appear mid-cycle. You still want to be protected from the others. There is no drawback.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Just to clarify: The flu vaccine is closer to 100% effective for the targeted strains. The seemingly-low effectiveness you mention is because there are many strains circulating that are not targeted by the current flu vaccine. Flu is kinda special due to its tendency to rapidly change and reassort with other strains. Vaccine developers always have to guess which strains might be a problem when they decide which ones will be targeted by a new yearly vaccine. They often guess wrong on one or two strains.

It's still near 100% effective for the strains that it actually targets.

Nov 8, 2012
Has the medical gear-craze died down enough yet to where legit N95 masks are available again in stores or online?

I mean the legit 3M N95 stuff - not cheap shit versions that are probably mostly fake....

Also - got my flu shot today @ Walgreens.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Has the medical gear-craze died down enough yet to where legit N95 masks are available again in stores or online?

I mean the legit 3M N95 stuff - not cheap shit versions that are probably mostly fake....

Also - got my flu shot today @ Walgreens.

There seemed to be some valved N95s available when I was last in a big box hardware store. Didn't look too closely since I have a bunch of decent KN95s (FDA tested/approved) already.

Nov 8, 2012
There seemed to be some valved N95s available when I was last in a big box hardware store. Didn't look too closely since I have a bunch of decent KN95s (FDA tested/approved) already.

Aren't we supposed to get ones that aren't valved? Thought the valve basically releasing your exhale straight out, thus defeating the purpose of wearing a mask to protect others?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Aren't we supposed to get ones that aren't valved? Thought the valve basically releasing your exhale straight out, thus defeating the purpose of wearing a mask to protect others?

Yes, valved masks are a no-no for this. If you're sanding down a deck then sure probably a good idea.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yes, valved masks are a no-no for this. If you're sanding down a deck then sure probably a good idea.
On the other hand, there is a protective effect for the wearer substantially higher than cloth masks.

If fitted correctly, of course. No beards. Sealed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
On the other hand, there is a protective effect for the wearer substantially higher than cloth masks.

If fitted correctly, of course. No beards. Sealed.

All those words after "if" are a problem from what I observe of the general public.

Reactions: CZroe

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
We'll be heading to TX in a month to visit my sister and I was contemplating getting a face shield to wear over our masks. Is this overkill? Are face shields even allowed past security?