NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 467 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Locally, within 20 miles of where i live, there are 2 places that will accept the general public. An UrgentCare type place & a Walmart. Walmart uses Quest & the other LabCorp.

From their websites:

So i guess you need a doctor order for this. Insurance may or may not pay?

Sweet, more info from Quest:

The MedExpress site says you have to pay the co-pay at least. Insurance may or may not pay?

There is one other place to get tested here, thru the hospital, but you must have a doctor order. It says right on their website tests are $199. It's had that price since spring.

I guess what i need to do to really find out is get a hold of my insurance & see what is actually covered, how many times a person can get tested & be covered, is a doctor order required to be covered, what/who is in-network & who's not, etc.

Let me say this again, 2 co-workers were told by the health dept.(PA and/or County) to quarantine & they would not be tested unless the people they came in contact with got their tests results back as positive.
If there's an abundance of tests that seems counter productive.
Locally, within 20 miles of where i live, there are 2 places that will accept the general public. An UrgentCare type place & a Walmart. Walmart uses Quest & the other LabCorp.

From their websites:

The MedExpress site says you have to pay the co-pay at least. Insurance may or may not pay?

There is one other place to get tested here, thru the hospital, but you must have a doctor order. It says right on their website tests are $199. It's had that price since spring.

I guess what i need to do to really find out is get a hold of my insurance & see what is actually covered, how many times a person can get tested & be covered, is a doctor order required to be covered, what/who is in-network & who's not, etc.

Let me say this again, 2 co-workers were told by the health dept.(PA and/or County) to quarantine & they would not be tested unless the people they came in contact with got their tests results back as positive.

This is what the HHS site says for PA:
PennsylvaniaNo-cost testing is available at local health centers and select pharmacies:
For local testing information, visit the Pennsylvania health department's website.

Looks like it would have to be a Walmart that uses eTrueNorth and not Quest or MedExpress or anyone else for that matter. Here in Ohio, Walmart isn't even listed at all on the HHS site, and for the local independent pharmacies it lists both eTrueNorth and Health Mart (which is nice as I have a Health Mart-partnered pharmacy nearby, but the Health Mart website doesn't specify Covid testing).

Use those links provided to locate places near you that are specifically mentioned. A bummer though is while it has a link for Walmart, it takes you to: https://www.doineedacovid19test.com/ which appears to be run by eTrueNorth. And yet under PA it doesn't list any Walmarts. I can't say what that means in the end, perhaps some partnerships ended/changed over the course of the year and updates on the site have been slow.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

From their websites:

An abundance of testing is required to increase non-symptomatic visibility and drop positivity rates. Without that we would only be testing likely-infected people, which would obviously raise the positivity rate.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
This is what the HHS site says for PA:
PennsylvaniaNo-cost testing is available at local health centers and select pharmacies:
For local testing information, visit the Pennsylvania health department's website.
None of the local CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreens do any Covid testing according to the PA Heath Dept. website & i've haven't heard of anyone saying they do.

I used the "Find a health center near you" link from yours & CZroe's posts & it gave me 2 places. It's a farther drive but not too bad. I'd have to call & see if they give "free" tests. If not it's not worth driving there.

I will call my insurance provider to see what they say & if needed call these pharmacies to see.
I don't need a test currently but with things the way they are i guess i'm looking to be more informed & not have to drive X miles & miss part or a full day of work looking for something that's completely free.
Right now i know i can get tested here, it just may cost. That's the unknown at the moment.

Reactions: CZroe

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My brother got it. He's 3 weeks in & is just now recovering, just got his voice back but is still coughing a lot.. He's in shape, works out every day, eats clean, does annual physicals & has no underlying health conditions - but it totally whacked him. He said it feels like the worst flu ever & the most sick he's ever felt in his life & that he's just tired non-stop. Crazy.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
My brother got it. He's 3 weeks in & is just now recovering, just got his voice back but is still coughing a lot.. He's in shape, works out every day, eats clean, does annual physicals & has no underlying health conditions - but it totally whacked him. He said it feels like the worst flu ever & the most sick he's ever felt in his life & that he's just tired non-stop. Crazy.
Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets over this soon.

Reactions: Kaido

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Another Georgia co-worker texted me to ask for the free testing details and is presumably getting tested today. For us, we go to District4Health.org, fill out a questionnaire, and pick an appointment time/place. I think they send you elsewhere for other parts of Georgia so dph.georgia.gov/covidtesting (Department of Public Health) is the first stop if you haven't been tested before.

Honestly, they only need to Google "Free COVID test Georgia" to find it but I'm happy to oblige.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, my local CVS does COVID tests, but scheduling one is difficult. My wife and daughter had to go to Yale New Haven (25 minute drive) for theirs.

Amusingly, if I still lived in Pennsylvania, I would have been 5 minutes away from that Elysburg testing area. It's basically in the middle of nowhere next to an amusement park. I'd imagine that Geisinger (the huge hospital chain in the area) picked that spot, because no sane government official would have picked it.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Glad he's getting better

Reactions: Kaido

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yeah, my local CVS does COVID tests, but scheduling one is difficult. My wife and daughter had to go to Yale New Haven (25 minute drive) for theirs.

Amusingly, if I still lived in Pennsylvania, I would have been 5 minutes away from that Elysburg testing area. It's basically in the middle of nowhere next to an amusement park. I'd imagine that Geisinger (the huge hospital chain in the area) picked that spot, because no sane government official would have picked it.
The testing site where I live in Georgia is also beside an empty amusement park. Well, fairgrounds at least. Coweta County Fairgrounds hosts an amusement park every September except we obviously missed out on it this year.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Curious: Does he get sunlight each day or take a vitamin D supplement? Does he have dark skin or light?

People who get plenty of vitamin D generally do not get very sick at all from COVID-19

Good to hear that he is recovering.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Anyone else get a flu shot this year? I'm normally irresponsible about it, but 2020 being 2020, I went ahead and got one at a drive happening in the parking lot of my local library. Added bonus, it was free.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Anyone else get a flu shot this year? I'm normally irresponsible about it, but 2020 being 2020, I went ahead and got one at a drive happening in the parking lot of my local library. Added bonus, it was free.
I got one back in April or May. Still need to get the new one.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

I just did last week. Gotta keep my guard up for my health, especially in this current situation around the world.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I got mine, I'm required to do so for work. If I don't I have to wear a mask when I go in to the office, even after COVID mask requirements are over.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I been getting the flu shot annually as long as I can remember. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get one, especially if you have insurance and they are free.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I don't normally get flu shot. I'm debating about getting one this year but leaning towards no.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I been getting the flu shot annually as long as I can remember. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get one, especially if you have insurance and they are free.

It's free up here and you can get it at the neighbourhood pharmacy.

Dec 10, 2005
I got one back in April or May. Still need to get the new one.
You'll probably need a new one, as the latest version for the upcoming season is usually only distributed in August/September

Most of the reasons people have listed here for not getting it translate to some fancy way of saying "I'm stupid"

Reactions: K1052

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's free up here and you can get it at the neighbourhood pharmacy.
It's not the cost. I just don't think I will need it since I'm not around people other than my family 99% of the time. And the 1% of the time I have to interact with people other than family like grocery shopping, I have on the mask because of Covid risk. Given how contagious Covid is, I'll likely get Covid way before I get the regular flu. So that's my dilemma. I normally skip the annual flu shot so why get it this year when the likely infection risk is way lower? That's why I'm leaning towards skipping the flu shot again.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My Thai friend is visiting family in Thailand since mid-September. She was stuck in mandatory quarantine for two weeks after arriving. Now she has been traveling around in the south. Home town is Narathiwat, but I know she has also been near her brother in Krabi.

I just learned she has "cold, fever and cough."

It's probably a bad idea to go out with symptoms, so I guess she probably won't get tested or be counted toward statistics.

If you think these countries have it under control or have accurate statistics, you are probably very wrong. With an economy that depends on tourism, I'm sure the government is very happy to perpetuate the idea that COVID is under control.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

i gotta go get one. i used to get the flu every december/january like clockwork, so after 25 years of that i decided to try a flu shot.

no flu ever since.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Fear of needles. So it's risk/reward. I don't think the flu vaccine effectiveness is worth getting the shot. For me at least. I need way higher guarantee than like normal 50/50 success rate to be convinced to take the flu shot.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fear of needles. So it's risk/reward. I don't think the flu vaccine effectiveness is worth getting the shot. For me at least. I need way higher guarantee than like normal 50/50 success rate to be convinced to take the flu shot.

The flu vaccine shot is like a 1/10 on my needle terror scale, barely feel a thing. It's such a super trivial inconvenience that it's more than worth it.

Reactions: destrekor