NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just got a call from our daughter's school where she's in a hybrid schedule right now. Some staff may have been exposed off campus to someone who is experiencing symptoms. No students need to be quarantined at this time according to the school. It didn't really register for me, but if my daughter has to be quarantined due to possible exposure, and I'm at risk, wtheck am I supposed to do? Stay away from her for two weeks? Keep her isolated? Keep me isolated?

According to my wife (who is a teacher, but not at the same school) the person who had the symptoms was someone at my daughter's grade level, but not near my daughter, so we're assuming it's another teacher. If they have to send teachers home, then they'll have to get subs but we've been given no direction. If she's going to have a sub, we may as well keep her home.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Just got a call from our daughter's school where she's in a hybrid schedule right now. Some staff may have been exposed off campus to someone who is experiencing symptoms. No students need to be quarantined at this time according to the school. It didn't really register for me, but if my daughter has to be quarantined due to possible exposure, and I'm at risk, wtheck am I supposed to do? Stay away from her for two weeks? Keep her isolated? Keep me isolated?

According to my wife (who is a teacher, but not at the same school) the person who had the symptoms was someone at my daughter's grade level, but not near my daughter, so we're assuming it's another teacher. If they have to send teachers home, then they'll have to get subs but we've been given no direction. If she's going to have a sub, we may as well keep her home.

Doesn't sound like she was exposed per the above. Kind of depends how old she is too since littler kids do not appear to spread the virus readily. Teenagers on the other hand appear to be excellent spreaders.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Doesn't sound like she was exposed per the above. Kind of depends how old she is too since littler kids do not appear to spread the virus readily. Teenagers on the other hand appear to be excellent spreaders.

She just turned 11. I don't think she's been exposed either but it got me thinking what I'd need to do just in case.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It didn't really register for me, but if my daughter has to be quarantined due to possible exposure, and I'm at risk, wtheck am I supposed to do? Stay away from her for two weeks? Keep her isolated? Keep me isolated?

Keep her isolated as best you can. She just needs to stay in her room. Bring food to her by leaving a trey outside the door and leaving. She needs to wear a mask when interacting with you or leaving her room. Since you say you are at risk, you should wear an N95 when interacting with her if possible and change clothes afterwards. Might be a good time to teach her some level of self-care, like temperature taking so you don't need to be exposed unless absolutely necessary. And of course wash hands, a lot.

You should avoid unnecessary interactions outside the home. You should already be masking when going shopping.

Since your wife is a teacher, I suspect they would not allow her to come to work? She should actually do the care and you should avoid it if you are at risk. If you want to go crazy, you could live in a hotel for 2 weeks. Depends on how at risk you are and your finances of course.

This is all ideal of course, good luck.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reports someone in the AZ Brazil trial has died of coronavirus. Gov says trial will continue and first word circulating that they were in the placebo group.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I mean it's 50/50 which you get and Brazil has a huge virus problem.

Right but this person would have been safe presumably had they received the real thing.

Edit: I should add that you would think testing for antibodies would be good enough to detect whether the vaccine was effective.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Right but this person would have been safe presumably had they received the real thing.

Edit: I should add that you would think testing for antibodies would be good enough to detect whether the vaccine was effective.
...not when the question is whether or not vaccine-induced antibodies confer protection against the real virus (and how much).

Reactions: K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Potentially yes but that is after all the aim of the trial itself so you need the control.

The phase 1/2 results clearly show an immune response from the vaccine that generates antibodies. We don't know what levels of antibodies are required for protection from infection or severe disease plus T cell response questions.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Re: the flu shot
Just found out yesterday we are not getting them at work this year. The pharmacy that usually comes won't do businesses with less than 50 people :rolleyes:, so i'll have to go somewhere & get one.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I took another of Georgia's free COVID-19 tests last week. I literally made the appointment just before driving over there 10 minutes away, so anyone who wants to be tested can be... without delay in this case. Anyone who thinks there is still a lack of availability for testing in the USA is kidding themselves.
There's a testing facility across the street from my house but I've never been tested. I figure it would be a waste of everybody's time and a test kit. I'm being extremely careful to stay away from the virus.

My doctor wanted me to get a flu shot. I'm wondering, how can I get the flu given how careful I'm being not to get covid? Anyway, I plan to get that flu shot, want to make an appt, minimize my risk of getting covid in the process.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Since the holidays are coming up discussion about what to do for them is happening. We've decided keep staying put and not see any family. We are going to do an indoor Thanksgiving dinner with a couple local friends at our place but we're all going to do at home COVID tests a couple days ahead of time.
We're having a virtual family affair this weekend... Zoom. TBH, I'm not looking forward to it. A subset of the family will do it in person, locals and I guess some younger flying in.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There's a testing facility across the street from my house but I've never been tested. I figure it would be a waste of everybody's time and a test kit. I'm being extremely careful to stay away from the virus.

My doctor wanted me to get a flu shot. I'm wondering, how can I get the flu given how careful I'm being not to get covid? Anyway, I plan to get that flu shot, want to make an appt, minimize my risk of getting covid in the process.
If it's free, then getting tested without the virus helps by increasing visibility and driving down the positivity rate, which is what we need to reopen according to the WHO guidelines. WHO set the target to 5% specifically to get more testing. Obviously, you have to have 95% or more of tests "wasted" to get to a 5% or less positivity rate, so don't sweat the perceived waste.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If it's free, then getting tested without the virus helps by increasing visibility and driving down the positivity rate, which is what we need to reopen according to the WHO guidelines. WHO set the target to 5% specifically to get more testing. Obviously, you have to have 95% or more of tests "wasted" to get to a 5% or less positivity rate, so don't sweat the perceived waste.
Well, I guess I could don an N95, gloves and I even have a few of those plexi shields. I'll investigate, probably have to make an appt. If a covid virion made it's way into me it would feel SO Lonely! And be slugged to death summarily, I figure.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well, I guess I could don an N95, gloves and I even have a few of those plexi shields. I'll investigate, probably have to make an appt. If a covid virion made it's way into me it would feel SO Lonely! And be slugged to death summarily, I figure.
Yeah, you definitely don't want to take any risks of exposing yourself. Just saying that conserving tests shouldn't be a concern. :)

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
An abundance of testing is required to increase non-symptomatic visibility and drop positivity rates. Without that we would only be testing likely-infected people, which would obviously raise the positivity rate.
I had been wondering if the positivity rates are for people showing some kind of symptoms. I guess no. So, the lower rates don't necessarily mean a lot. I mean, where I am the P rate is around 2-3%. Some places in the US are over 25% right now. But if a whole lot of people are getting tested with zero symptoms it doesn't tell me a lot.