NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 422 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That article is just a bit too speculative.

There's no reason to think SARS-CoV-2 will reassort and bypass our resistance the way influenza does. Until there's proof that it will change itself to bypass immunity without losing virulence, I expect we can effectively eradicate it.
Friendly reminder, mankind has eliminated exactly two infectious diseases, only one of which affects humans. Smallpox and Rinderpest.

COVID-19 might be the third, but we've got a whole pile we've been trying to get rid of for a very, very long time. It's hard.

Reactions: Captante and gill77

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Friendly reminder, mankind has eliminated exactly two infectious diseases, only one of which affects humans. Smallpox and Rinderpest.

COVID-19 might be the third, but we've got a whole pile we've been trying to get rid of for a very, very long time. It's hard.

Friendly reminder: We don't have SARS-CoV from 2003 spreading around humans these days.

No one is suggesting they need to eliminate all Coronaviruses that infect humans to accomplish what they accomplished with the first SARS.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
What part of "don't allow cruises because ships are ideal outbreak environments" is so difficult to comprehend?
Stuff like this & other large indoor gatherings is not making me optimistic on schools re-opening in most areas.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Stuff like this & other large indoor gatherings is not making me optimistic on schools re-opening in most areas.

I think the NE is about the only place that has a chance in hell pulling off in person education and that's slim at best. chance. Georgia, Florida, Texas, Southern California? LOL no way. Even most of the colleges will be open just long enough for the checks to clear and have major outbreaks.

It didn't have to be this way but the government engaging in magical thinking has consequences.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Fauci said the “default” position should be to do in person learning...I just don’t see how it’s possible. I have a feeling kids are going to be in school for at most a few weeks before legitimate outbreaks start to occur and everyone is forced home again.

Nov 8, 2012
Fauci said the “default” position should be to do in person learning...I just don’t see how it’s possible. I have a feeling kids are going to be in school for at most a few weeks before legitimate outbreaks start to occur and everyone is forced home again.
The problem is kids are virtually 99.99% unaffected by this. The trouble of course is spreading it to the family they come home to and the teachers.

I don't know how best to proceed, but this is going to suck for everyone... But especially economically because the majority of Americans essentially use school as a daycare.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The problem is kids are virtually 99.99% unaffected by this. The trouble of course is spreading it to the family they come home to and the teachers.

I don't know how best to proceed, but this is going to suck for everyone... But especially economically because the majority of Americans essentially use school as a daycare.

Well, we also use it to keep our kids from becoming uneducated morons :)

Right now, I'd imagine that there are millions of kids around the world who are 3 months behind on their education because their teachers and parents did a lousy job teaching them remotely. Those people are going to fall even further behind without in-person instruction.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I think most schools are going with remote learning. My county announced the new school year will be remote only with no announced end date. I'm actually glad because that means my daughter can study anywhere there's internet connection. I already have couple family vacation trips planned for the fall and she won't miss any school.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

Kids tend to show symptoms less often but they still spread the virus "as easily" as any adult. Because it's "less obvious" when kids are infected, it's actually quite possible kids spread the virus to a lot more people than adults do, just like any asymptomatic infected, really.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
jSXhe05.png
To be fair, a lot of kids are smarter than their parents. Saw a video the other day of a 5 year old approaching an older adult with his hand over his mouth. Asked what he was doing he replied, "I don't want to make them sick."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Maher is right in that we (as a country) glorify obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. I mean we even have obese models and stuff with campaigns saying that even if you are fat you are still beautiful and you should be comfortable with it.

I disagree. You should NOT feel comfortable being overweight and out of shape. There is a reason when you are fat and overweight you don't feel good and it's because your body is telling you that you aren't treating it right.
I'm with you. I have never spoken or written about it but notice in the last few years the whole "it's OK to be yourself, you're fat, it's OK, you're you." You see fat people on TV a whole lot more than you used to, even in advertisements where you never used to see that. I get it that it's fucked up that people are forced to get down on themselves that they are fat. I don't know, to some extent. I don't know what the science is but I hear it said that some people just don't get fat, don't have to watch their weight, they can eat anything they want, as much as they want and they never gain weight. I have to wonder if that isn't so much bull shit. Myself, if I eat 500 calories more/day than I burn off, a week later I will weigh one more pound.

TBH, I look at obese people and most of the time I notice and can't help thinking they have a problem. Not every time, but most of the time.

I haven't traveled but I see video. People in most other countries are much less prone to be obese than Americans.

Have you noticed that many of the people who are dying from this disease are overweight?
I have SO noticed that. The TV news stories, they don't mention it but you can see it with your own eyes.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This is going to get real bad come fall. Most people still aren't taking this seriously.

I can see 200k deaths by September. Maybe even 500k deaths by the end of the year if this accelerates in the fall.
200k by September is definitely possible. I think it's possible we could see a million deaths by this time next year. The winter may be brutal. I was discussing this with my sister yesterday. Winter, people will be together indoors. But she countered that they are doing that now a lot because the hot weather has them indoors with the air conditioning. The flu will complicate things, but the flu season may be relatively mild, I think, because the pandemic measures should reduce transmission of the flu as well. My doctor wants me to get a flu shot, but I'm wondering why I should bother because with what I'm doing now, how the hell could I catch the flu?

Reactions: Ichinisan

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Well, we also use it to keep our kids from becoming uneducated morons :)

Right now, I'd imagine that there are millions of kids around the world who are 3 months behind on their education because their teachers and parents did a lousy job teaching them remotely. Those people are going to fall even further behind without in-person instruction.
I'm nervous about next Monday. Remote learning is starting up in my household again. My wife returned to work in May. I've not worked from my normal office since March 10. 😎

I suppose I need to come up with a dns solution so I can actively block websites (YouTube, etc) and keep my kids on task.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Silent about what? Telling people to do what they should be doing their entire life?

It's been known since like April that people with underlying health issues such as obesity are at higher risk than those who don't have any.
Don't feed the trolls. SomeWTFmind has been trolling and trolling for months now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
@zinfamous you are smart with this stuff.
I had a small bottle of hand sanitizer I used up months ago when it was impossible to find hand sanitizer, the smell was very strong and very gag inducing.

Are people getting poisoned from the methanol by drinking it?
Seems like something that isn’t very skin permeable.

Edit: forgot to quote, see above

are you still alive?

lol--was mostly away last week.

why are people drinking hand sanitizer? they should't do it if it's IPA or EtOH or MeOH, regardless. It's why denatured alcohol exists.

did your bottle smell sweetish? Is that why people are drinking their hand sanitizer...because it smells like the things they love and always eat that make them fat and obese? .....fucking Americans.

anyway, if it smells "sweet," it could be methanol or ethanol (I think methanol is sweeter in scent). IPA is way harsh.

You want IPA, though. EtOH is fine, but it comes with those issues of "maybe being methanol." ...because China or whatever

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm nervous about next Monday. Remote learning is starting up in my household again. My wife returned to work in May. I've not worked from my normal office since March 10. 😎

I suppose I need to come up with a dns solution so I can actively block websites (YouTube, etc) and keep my kids on task.
Make sure your kids know you really care about their education, that you are really invested in them doing well.

Realize, and think about this -- Many of the supremely successful people in our culture in recent years have been home schooled. So don't think for a second that home schooling is necessarily bad schooling. Now, those situations were for sure because the parents thought they could do a much better job than any public/private school would that was available to them. They were likely very motivated to supervise their kid's education. If you aren't, if it scares you, well, I can only say that you should (1) look at it as a challenge, because it is and (2) look at it as an opportunity to educate yourself at the same time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Are you using it enough?

Touched the employee door and the time clock? Sanitizer and sanitizer.

Cashier hands you your card back? Sanitizer... might even want some on the card before it goes back in your wallet.

Person hands your your food at the drive thru? Sanitizer again... even if you just did it at the payment window (can't contaminate the wheel and shift knob).

Pumped gas? Sanitizer.

It's not like you can just wash your hands out there and you've already cross-contaminated surfaces if you wait.

I solve all of these problems with my nitrile gloves....that I reuse for a week or so because I know how to doff them and reuse them. a proper hand wash here and there, lifetime practice with general sterile technique, and you're good to go. Just learn what you are touching at all times, what you are touching and with what appendage, and keep a mental track of your "touch pathway."

boom!

Also, this bug doesn't seem to transfer much with contact, on top of vial load being a big deal and which also doesn't typically lend to viral load.

Feb 4, 2009
are you still alive?

lol--was mostly away last week.

why are people drinking hand sanitizer? they should't do it if it's IPA or EtOH or MeOH, regardless. It's why denatured alcohol exists.

did your bottle smell sweetish? Is that why people are drinking their hand sanitizer...because it smells like the things they love and always eat that make them fat and obese? .....fucking Americans.

anyway, if it smells "sweet," it could be methanol or ethanol (I think methanol is sweeter in scent). IPA is way harsh.

You want IPA, though. EtOH is fine, but it comes with those issues of "maybe being methanol." ...because China or whatever

Hard to explain the smell, it was very chemical smelling and slightly earthy which I know sounds weird.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
New case counts are on the rise here. No idea when it will peak, but timing will likely coincide here with the beginning of flu season and cooler weather. Hopefully enough people will have some immunity to curb new cases until a vaccine can help even more.
I have seen no professional opinion or hope of any real immunity until vaccines are part of the equation. @CZroe and @K1052 can chime in, but I doubt that even 20% having contracted the virus will confer meaningful resistance to the pandemic. Plus there's a fair amount of evidence that having been exposed and fighting it off does not confer lasting immunity.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I facepalmed hard when I saw this on a local FB group:
***image***
Does this person even know what "double-blind, placebo-controlled" means? How do you fool a participant with a placebo mask that isn't actually a mask? So dumb.
You do a placebo face mask study by having some people wearing ineffective (gauzey) masks, others better ones. The Taiwanese are all over this.
Masks would also cut flu and cold transmission with vast benefits. People should wear masks when they are sick after this too.
Good thinking! Well, when I'm sick I don't normally go out. But I don't have a job, so...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Right but his main point is that all the scientists that everyone is saying "OMG listen to the science!"... are absolutely silent about mentioning this.

Christ, we have been in lockdown for practically 4 months now - and by the way - I read the Facebook comments from Bill Maher'a posting of this video and it was basically a bunch of people whining "How are fat people supposed to get healthy in time for the virus?!".....

Ohhhh I don't know, maybe instead of sitting on your ass for the last 4 months just taking a walk around the block for the last 4 months? Crazy, I know - but you would be amazed what a big difference something so small can do. But like I said, you NEVER heard that from Fauchi or any others with public media/press mention this. You didn't see it on the front of a news paper. You didn't see it on the front of CNN.com

I don't for one minute buy into the whole "Poor people MUST eat like a fattie" debacle either. Like Bill Maher said, not buying soda and instead opting for water isn't more expensive. I say this also as someone that has lost a shit ton of weight.

no, that's just what you heard and only what you wanted to hear.