NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 424 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I took one of those rapid test covid tests today. I got there at like 10:45am and had to fill out a form then gave it back and waited in my car for about an hour since it was crowded. Then it took about 2 minutes and I was out.

This test was different than the one I did a while back that took 3 days to get results. That one was deep in the nose for a 10 count. The one I took today was not as deep and it was in both nostrils. I'm not sure if the rapid one vs. the other one is just "different" in general.

But it was negative so that is good.

I went because I've had a low grade fever since Saturday and my wife is being induced on Thursday. And they do temperature checks and if you have a fever (not sure how high) then you can't go in. And last night we nearly went to the hospital when I had a 100.0 fever (highest I've had).

But now at least if I have some temperature when we do go if I'm not better by then, I will have proof of a negative covid test from days prior.
Proof isn't proof IMO when it comes to covid-19 infection tests. Why do you have a fever? Do not feel confident you aren't infected, I say. I'm no MD, but to me a fever is a rare thing. I may get one a year, if that. I don't think I've run 100.4 for several years.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Identifying therapies (and vaccines) is one thing, getting them produced and distributed is another. If I were in ICU today, I have no confidence Remdesivir would be available for me, or antibodies or that steroidal formulation they found effective. Maybe plasma. A ventilator, probably.

With so many cases in the US it of course isn't possible to guarantee everybody availability of limited treatments, notwithstanding the shit show distribution of remdesivir.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Proof isn't proof IMO when it comes to covid-19 infection tests. Why do you have a fever? Do not feel confident you aren't infected, I say. I'm no MD, but to me a fever is a rare thing. I may get one a year, if that. I don't think I've run 100.4 for several years.
I don't know why I have a fever but if I have it for multiple more days then I'll get another test and go to my doctor. I had one prior when I was fighting a bacterial sinus infection. This just feels like some sort of bug I picked up but I don't know where I could have gotten it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
With so many cases in the US it of course isn't possible to guarantee everybody availability of limited treatments, notwithstanding the shit show distribution of remdesivir.
It's ironic that what's more than anything making the potus unpopular now is a pathogen you need an electron microscope to see. With an intelligent response here, we could have avoided this. Nature is writing an incredible story. To me, a new administration is the silver lining to this ghastly pandemic storm in America. Too political?

I'm seeing much in the news about kids going back to school vs complicated nuanced hybrid learning juggling acts, vs staying at home learning as fall approaches (we are in mid-summer). The kids are not just going back in the classrooms.

It would really help if something could be done to make people self conscious about partying like CV19 didn't exist. The TV ads must be helping. We could use a lot more of those. I'm not one to watch ads, but I'll watch those! I like those 30 second BLM ads of celebrities too.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Ten of thousands Germans turned out to protest about mask requirement. Folks partied up close and personal in large numbers in New York, Illinois, Michigan, and elsewhere.

SMH.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Why WHY haven't the World's Countries, instead of trying to come up with their own vaccine, pooled their resources together? Isn't this virus serious enough to warrant precisely that?

It seems to me that, the faster we come up with medicine to tackle this virus, the better for ALL countries, regardless of how well each of them has battled the virus thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So got an email from corporate that we are working from home until at least Nov 1st! Pleasantly surprised at this. The email said that when the transition back to work does happen it will be voluntary as well and that they are willing to accommodate people with kids etc should they be doing school from home.

Though it also looks like school is pretty much starting back up as normal this September at least for high school and up. I think my company is just preparing for the possible 2nd wave and realizes it's not worth risking people getting sick now that most are working from home anyway, may as well keep going for a while.

I doubt it will happen, but I would love if this turned into a permanent thing.

Why WHY haven't the World's Countries, instead of trying to come up with their own vaccine, pulled their resources together? Isn't this virus serious enough to warrant precisely that?

It seems to me that, the faster we come up with medicine to tackle this virus, the better for ALL countries, regardless of how well each of them has battled the virus thus far.

Yeah I agree. What I think will happen is whoever comes up with it first is going to patent it, and it will lock everyone else out and make it more expensive than it needs to be. The world should be working together on this and it should not be about profit. Either way it will most likely be free here in Canada, but if it gets patented it means it will cost the country more to get it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Why WHY haven't the World's Countries, instead of trying to come up with their own vaccine, pooled their resources together? Isn't this virus serious enough to warrant precisely that?

Climate change didn't clue you in? We'd rather die in global fire than work together.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Well, countries are probably pretty bad at developing vaccines. Private labs are on the case.

I've heard there is a great deal of collaboration. It's also advantageous to try several new experimental approaches due to the urgency of the situation.

Government beaureaucracy forcing all labs to work on the same dead-end could be a colossal mistake.

Reactions: gill77

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
So got an email from corporate that we are working from home until at least Nov 1st! Pleasantly surprised at this. The email said that when the transition back to work does happen it will be voluntary as well and that they are willing to accommodate people with kids etc should they be doing school from home.

It's apparent that my employer could give two shits about the employees. I'm in local government, so we're considered essential. But that shouldn't mean we have to be in our cubicles/offices when we can clearly do our jobs from home (which we've done for 3 months from March - June). At minimum our office should be closed to public and business done electronically or through telephone.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, countries are probably pretty bad at developing vaccines. Private labs are on the case.

I've heard there is a great deal of collaboration. It's also advantageous to try several new experimental approaches due to the urgency of the situation.

Government beaureaucracy forcing all labs to work on the same dead-end could be a colossal mistake.
The Chinese very early on published the SARS-CoV-2 genome online (I think the CCP was unhappy about that).

Multiple vaccine development has advantages. Any can fail, so many in development/testing is a safer scenario. Also, some vaccines are going to work better for specific demographics. It's very unlikely to be one size fits all.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
good lord...this story is all kinds of fucked up

Just crazily irresponsible.

I dunno. Trump told the Govs they would lose whatever Federal funding they get. In Republican states, they don't want to be known as standing against him. I like Trump in many ways....buy agree that there should be caution practiced now and CDC guidelines should be mandated by all or face class action lawsuits (that's a joke).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I dunno. Trump told the Govs they would lose whatever Federal funding they get. In Republican states, they don't want to be known as standing against him. I like Trump in many ways....buy agree that there should be caution practiced now and CDC guidelines should be mandated by all or face class action lawsuits (that's a joke).

A threat he'd have difficulty making good on since a lot of other R governors are letting or encouraging schools to go remote.

Reading the story it sounds like the HS is just run by idiots. That mother with the younger kid who thinks her school is doing things right is pissed off that the HS doing this and is going to mess things up for other kids is probably right. It is inevitable that a big outbreak at the HS will seed the wider community.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A threat he'd have difficulty making good on since a lot of other R governors are letting or encouraging schools to go remote.

Reading the story it sounds like the HS is just run by idiots. That mother with the younger kid who thinks her school is doing things right is pissed off that the HS doing this and is going to mess things up for other kids is probably right. It is inevitable that a big outbreak at the HS will seed the wider community.
I don't doubt that either. My county is doing 3 weeks remote and reassessing things....at least it's something. Child care is tough right now for working parents.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

That's the individual county decision and not the state. I'm in GA and our county decided to go remote for the new school year.

Feb 4, 2009
@zinfamous you are smart with this stuff.
I had a small bottle of hand sanitizer I used up months ago when it was impossible to find hand sanitizer, the smell was very strong and very gag inducing.

Are people getting poisoned from the methanol by drinking it?
Seems like something that isn’t very skin permeable.

Edit: forgot to quote, see above
Hey past self see below
Media has definitely been reporting that it is absorbed through the skin.
See below, I am suspicious that at least some weren’t drinking it
are you still alive?

lol--was mostly away last week.

why are people drinking hand sanitizer? they should't do it if it's IPA or EtOH or MeOH, regardless. It's why denatured alcohol exists.

did your bottle smell sweetish? Is that why people are drinking their hand sanitizer...because it smells like the things they love and always eat that make them fat and obese? .....fucking Americans.

anyway, if it smells "sweet," it could be methanol or ethanol (I think methanol is sweeter in scent). IPA is way harsh.

You want IPA, though. EtOH is fine, but it comes with those issues of "maybe being methanol." ...because China or whatever

Hard core drinking problem people do really hardcore weird things because of defective thinking.

Seems like they’re drinking it, from a CNN breaking news story. No link because the link will change soon.

Adults have gotten seriously ill after drinking hand sanitizer, CDC says
From CNN's Jacqueline Howard

A bottle of Purell hand sanitizer and a box of disposable masks
A bottle of Purell hand sanitizer and a box of disposable masks Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images
Several cases of people getting sick after swallowing hand sanitizer have been reported to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in recent months.
Some people suffered impaired vision. Others had seizures. Four people died.
A new paper, published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on Wednesday, described the cases of 15 adults in Arizona and New Mexico who were hospitalized for methanol poisoning after consuming alcohol-based hand sanitizers in May and June.
While an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing ethanol or isopropanol can be used to disinfect hands, the CDC warns against using hand sanitizer containing methanol and swallowing any hand sanitizer. In their new report, CDC researchers emphasize: “alcohol-based hand sanitizer products should never be ingested.”
A CDC spokesperson told CNN in an email Wednesday that previously, in June, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that methanol was found in some hand sanitizers distributed in the United States – and the new CDC report follows that announcement.
"We wanted to specifically look at adverse events related to methanol because it is known to be toxic and potentially life-threatening when ingested," the spokesperson said.
Some context: In late June, CDC received notification from public health officials and partners in Arizona and New Mexico about methanol poisoning linked with the ingestion of hand sanitizers, according to the new report. Methanol, a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through skin or ingested, can be found in certain hand sanitizers.
CDC researchers and their partners in Arizona and New Mexico reviewed 62 call records to poison centers from May through June to characterize cases that could be methanol poisoning from alcohol-based hand sanitizer. The researchers also obtained medical records for additional details. But the report does not provide information as to why exactly people were ingesting hand sanitizer.
The researchers found that, between May and June, 15 adults met their case definition of hand sanitizer-associated methanol poisoning. All of those adults, ages 21 to 65, were admitted to a hospital after ingesting alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Six of the adults developed seizures while in the hospital and three were discharged with new visual impairments, the researchers found.
One patient, a 44-year-old man, said that he drank an unknown amount of hand sanitizer in the few days before seeking medical care, according to the CDC paper. The man was hospitalized for six days for acute methanol poisoning, and when he was discharged, he went home with almost complete vision loss.
Overall, four of the adults in the CDC report died.