NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 240 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But it's odd that even asymptomatic carriers end up with enough in their systems to spread it to others. So who really knows wtf is going on.

Some diseases permit asymptomatic transmission. Herpes viruses are infamous for this behavior, as is human papillomavirus (HPV). You can spread either disease without outwardly showing symptoms. Yes, it's easier to spread a herpes virus during an eruption of sores, but it's not absolutely necessary. HPV almost never shows symptoms unless you have a strain that causes warts.

I'm not an expert on how certain viruses can propagate without causing symptoms. It's a blend of factors. How is your immune system treating the virus? Is the virus killing off cells faster than natural die-off (remember, human cells die and are replaced all the time)? If your immune system isn't reacting heavily and if the virus isn't killing cells all that quickly, you aren't going to feel it. Instead the viral load in your system will steadily build up. Maybe not as quickly as in someone who is under major attack, but over time, you will begin to shed virus according to the virus's method of transmission.

I feel really bad for the cashiers. Those people are getting slammed with this virus for 8 frekin hours. My friend whose a cashier told me that he's getting an extra $3 an hour, so it's worth it to him.

An extra $3 an hour. Is that worth getting sick from this virus? If you need the money than you have no choice.

The stores are in the same position. They need the money, so they have no choice but to stay open. If they pay the cashiers too high a "danger pay" raise, they also run the risk of going out of business, especially if business tapers off for any reason.

If you want to help out, I recommend taking Stanford Health's coronavirus survey. The data will be used to help direct medical resources where they're needed most.

I tried, but it kept producing errors after I entered my zip code. It said "I don't understand, ask your question again" over and over.

YAHOO! Check is starting to come in!

Surprised anyone still banks with Wells Fargo.

I may or may not have this Covid 19 thing yet. I've had a cough since Feb 28 and borderline upper/lower respiratory stuff that makes me want to cough when I breathe in. What makes it borderline is day to day....somedays it starts to go to my lower respiratory system, but I seem to fight it back. I started antibiotics a few days ago and a vitamin C regime last week...but it's STILL hanging on.

First, careful with the antibiotics. They may help you avoid pneumonia, but they may also have other ugly side effects, and the wrong antibiotic might not help you at all. Azithromyacin is the antibiotic that's "hot" right now as a preventative for Covid-19-related pneumonia. Also, where did you get the antibiotics? They aren't OTC. Anywhere.

Add zinc and Vitamin D to your regimine. You can get some off eBay for inflated prices if you can't find it locally. You should be taking 80-150mg of zinc per day (try to stay under 150) and anywhere from 2000-4000 IU of Vitamin D per day total. Be sure to keep track of how much Vitamin D is in your multivitamin if you're on one.

Define "a lot".

Just look at New Orleans, NYC, Detroit, etc. The rate of spread in the South has been pretty low. I know for a fact that Georgia has had cases in the wild since at least mid February, but the number of hospitalizations there seems really low considering it's had nearly two months to spread up and down the I-75 corridor. By now I would have expected thousands of hospitalizations up and down that corridor, but we're not seeing it?

Also Kemp (GA) claimed his government didn't know asymptomatic people could be spreaders lol. Even the WH has been saying that for weeks. Either these people are hugely incompetent or lying.

And yet he shut down the state anyway.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I may or may not have this Covid 19 thing yet. I've had a cough since Feb 28 and borderline upper/lower respiratory stuff that makes me want to cough when I breathe in. What makes it borderline is day to day....somedays it starts to go to my lower respiratory system, but I seem to fight it back. I started antibiotics a few days ago and a vitamin C regime last week...but it's STILL hanging on. I likely won't get tested unless I have trouble breathing and it just hasn't happened yet. Nothing but coughing. I went to Hawaii (Oahu/Big Island) March 12-20 and it got a little worse, but never real bad. Am I asymptomatic or is this just a typical seasonal virus or two back-to-back?? Who knows. The 767 from Honolulu to DC was packed, but the 737 to Atlanta only had 20 people on it. My exposure was likely only 30 or so people. Best part was that my office was shut down when I got back, so I've not really worked a full day since March 6 since I wasn't wanting to start new projects before being out a week and a half. =P If I live...it was totally worth it.

So I get back in town and the kids' school has been cancelled and they're doing homework packets. My local cable internet company is offering 60 days of free service, so last week...I signed up for high speed cable internet for the first time in 5 years. Today, I got some new Linksys Velop wifi access points because my house is much bigger than it was 5 years ago (I added 1900 square feet). If nothing else, all my smart TVs are working and I have stuff to watch before I die.

On that note...I hope everyone stays safe. Tell you parents/elders to shelter in place as much as they can and avoid contact with as many people as possible. I totally changed grocery stores to the scary one that no one goes to....on purpose. Less is more right now. Avoid the busy stores and busy days/times. Stay safe....this stuff is serious.
You were cracking lot of jokes and didn't seem like you were taking this Covid-19 seriously.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Total fire ban for the province.

Considering there's still like 4 feet of snow on the ground it seems early for this, but guess they don't want people shoveling out their fire pit areas and inviting friends etc. That and maybe they are really starting to expect this to last the summer so are being proactive. Want to reduce chance of people gathering, but also risk of fires. Don't want to be fighting fires in middle of a pandemic.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Just crossed 6,000 in the U.S.

Almost 14k in Italy

I can't fathom actually hitting the 100-200k estimates. It's mind-boggling. I hope it just magically disappears before then :(

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm keeping an eye on this one:

For this reason specifically:

This could be able to determine who has had and overcome an infection in the past—and could allow people to exit quarantine early, such as letting a nurse return to work at a hospital, for example.

Reactions: Muse

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

"A mammoth machine that can sterilize up to 80,000 N95 respirator masks a day is coming to the Boston area -- a major breakthrough that could potentially provide protective masks to all Massachusetts hospitals battling the #coronavirus pandemic"

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I posted earlier in this thread that undercover investigations of the unsanitary conditions of animal markets across Asia where animals like bats, snakes and pangolins are considered a delicacy has been exposed to an uninterested public for quite some time now. Maybe the world will start to pay attention now.

One city starts to clamp down:

China's Shenzhen bans the eating of cats and dogs after coronavirus

They've done that many times before. It never sticks:
(jump to 8 minutes 20 seconds)

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Some "celebrity" chefs have disappointed me during this pandemic. They closed down all of their restaurants, fired all of their workers, and are now on CNN and CNBC begging for bigger government handouts to keep them in business.

Meanwhile, most of the family owned restaurants in my area pivoted over to takeout and delivery, and are still paying many of their employees. When the quarantine is over, I know which places I'll be frequenting more often.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If this is true, it is pretty much game over as far as avoiding getting infected:
Well, game over? Not if you are sufficiently social distancing, obviously.

Anyway, I read some stories about this and it's not clear to me what's going on. They found RNA of the virus when they didn't expect to if the 6 foot, coughing and sneezing guidelines were correct. But AFAIK they haven't determined if what they found was viable virus that could infect. There's a big difference. People who have recovered from covid-19 can at some point have RNA shedding that won't infect people. I don't know that they know now the parameters of infection. This stuff can be not easy to determine! I've heard all kinds of things. Seen lots of videos, read stories. There's not agreement among the experts. Osterholm weeks ago said things that made the 6 foot and coughing/sneezing guidelines look was insufficient. He said that people in enclosed spaces with infected people for a length of time are apt to be infected. I don't recall him explaining why he thought that. For days not it's been asserted that SARS-CoV-2 can be aerosolized for 3 hours. That's concerning, again I don't know where that info came from.

Just how safe you are from deliveries and groceries carrying infection is another very grey area.

TBH, I'm assuming the worst, but I know it's probably not that bad.
How is it that we're just now figuring this out?
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I think they really don't know. Also I think they pretend to know. They know the public wants info, some clarity, something to guide them... yeah, guidelines. So, they say something... but they don't really know.
I kinda assumed that myself for a while now, considering people without symptoms can spread it. Just being close to someone who has it means you can get it.
We really are living a horror movie for a while... until we have our herd immunity from the sum of people who have had it and people who have been vaccinated being over 70% or so.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A person in a car in front of you could easily cough out the window and it could go right into your car. I think we have proven available info is weeks behind and pretty much useless. Theres no harm that can be done by rolling up the windows and sealing your car off from the outside, so theres no reason to tell people not to do it. It cant hurt, it can only help.
Dude, my car has sat in the driveway ever since my trip to Costco on March 12. I bought nothing, the lines were too damn long. It was as much morbid curiosity that made me go as wanting more supplies. A few days later, Costco's were REALLY going nuts (!), but I saw it on my TV, not in person.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The stores are in the same position. They need the money, so they have no choice but to stay open. If they pay the cashiers too high a "danger pay" raise, they also run the risk of going out of business, especially if business tapers off for any reason.

Our Publix grocery stores have installed plexiglass shields between the cashiers, pharmacists, etc. and the customers. They have painted lines on the floor to indicate 6ft spacing and they allow the cashiers to wear masks and gloves. At least they're trying to protect folks.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Dude, my car has sat in the driveway ever since my trip to Costco on March 12. I bought nothing, the lines were too damn long. It was as much morbid curiosity that made me go as wanting more supplies. A few days later, Costco's were going nuts, but I saw it on my TV, not in person.
Careful you don't ruin your battery. If you don't have a trickle charger/battery tender I suggest running it for 15 minutes a week (or more).

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Think it will be fine, as long as there are no drains. Might be a good idea to disconnect battery, and I would still go check it every couple months if this ends up lasting that long. Not a bad idea to put a charger it's just you don't want to leave that unattended or it will get stolen.

My dad stores his summer car all winter in a non heated storage unit and it sits for like 8 months. Think he does disconnect the battery though.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I saw a story on Al Jazeera and the poor people around the world are suffering economically because of this virus. Indian immigrant workers are losing their jobs because of the shutdown across the country and Kenyan flower exporting employees are losing their jobs because EU customers do not buy flowers anymore so all flowers are throwing away.

No unemployment benefit for them. Tough time indeed.

With high population density in those areas, they are like a powder keg for infection.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It must be a nightmare being in a high density area right now. So glad I live in a small city. We still have cases here but it's not out of control at this point. We have more breathing room to go out and still socially distance whether it's going for a walk or groceries etc so that helps. Having a house and not being crammed in a tiny apartment makes it easy stay at home too. There's always something to do here. This situation definitely makes me count my blessings.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Think it will be fine, as long as there are no drains. Might be a good idea to disconnect battery, and I would still go check it every couple months if this ends up lasting that long. Not a bad idea to put a charger it's just you don't want to leave that unattended or it will get stolen.

My dad stores his summer car all winter in a non heated storage unit and it sits for like 8 months. Think he does disconnect the battery though.
Depends on the age and existing wear. Cold temps are bad. My battery was barely making it overnight. I'm literally just pulling back in the driveway after picking my car up and paying $700 for this...
0539f4925074bd0267a8d9158b012cd9.jpg

They didn't tell me they were going to charge for installation. :( That's something that generally comes free from auto parts stores and I could DIY regardless. When they called me for authorization they just told me how much the battery was and I said "that sounds in line with the price I could get a battery for, so sure."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: highland145

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Depends on the age and existing wear. Cold temps are bad. My battery was barely making it overnight. I'm literally just pulling back in the driveway after picking my car up and paying $700 for this...
0539f4925074bd0267a8d9158b012cd9.jpg

They didn't tell me they were going to charge for installation.:( That's something that generally comes free from auto parts stores and I could DIY regardless. When they called me for authorization they just told me how much the battery was and I said "that sounds in line with the price I could get a battery for, so sure."

man that service charge for the battery and serpentine belt is horseshit