NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 242 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
In another grim turn for the future, it seems the governments of the world are giving themselves enormous sweeping powers that may become permanent after the crisis has ended.

And it's not limited to just the 3rd world countries and corrupt nations like Turkey, it's democracies in the first world too.
Just for starters;

"Britain has a long history of democracy and well-established democratic customs. Nevertheless, a coronavirus bill that was rushed through Parliament at a breakneck pace affords government ministries the power to detain and isolate people indefinitely, ban public gatherings including protests, and shut down ports and airports, all with little oversight. "
+1 for the Framers and the 2A.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
"The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal."

NY Times

Some more:

"From a policy perspective, we need to consider that not all exposures to the coronavirus may be the same. Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hourlong train commute.

This may seem obvious, but many people are not making this distinction. We need to focus more on preventing high-dose infection.

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation.

Virus experts know that viral dose affects illness severity..."

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Export curbs probably would not have been necessary if the government had acted earlier. Even now they are a really imperfect option since the market is still a free for all even inside the country.

The government has almost entirely abdicated its responsibilities to its citizen first out of laziness and incompetence and now out of fear of being blamed.

Your diatribe, while entertaining, doesn't answer my question.

Thanks for playing.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
At my hospital I am given 1 n95 mask that I have to to place in a paper bag at the end of my shift. And then use again the next day. My manager saw me wearing my 3M p100 respirator I brought from home and he said I couldn't use it when going to the patient floors. He said everyone must reuse the hospital provided mask. I told him that rule is ridiculous, as my 3m respirator has a much better seal and I have a bunch of replacement filters at home and I can actually clean the inside of my respirator. He said I know, but this is hospital policy right now and I have to follow it.

Total Bullshit!
Is it vented with the one-way valve that a lot of the better masks have? Because I can see those being an issue if the mask is also supposed to keep the wearers from unknowingly infecting others. The vents allow unfiltered air to escape/exhaust.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Careful you don't ruin you battery. If you don't have a trickle charger/battery tender I suggest running it for 15 minutes a week (or more).
Another poster here mentioned this a couple weeks ago and I went "aha!" I went out and put my charger on. I used to do that especially in the winter when I wasn't playing golf and the car would sit in the driveway for weeks at a time. The charger lives in back of the driver's seat and a powercord is adjacent to the car. It's been charging well. I have a few trickle chargers, cheapies I got at Harbor Freight, but I'm using a ~$30 charger I got at Kragen's around 10 years ago. It provides more current, and I think it monitors the charge on the battery and cycles on and off.

Reactions: CZroe

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You know what else? That "diagnostics" fee. Clearly I had already diagnosed the bad bearing. That's in the description on top:
"CHECK FOR 150K SERVICE"
"CEL. AND TRACK OFF LIGHT" (Check Engine Light and Trac Off ie traction control disabled)
"BAD BEARING SOUND" (Ding ding ding!)
"BATTERY STRUGGLING"
It's literally their write-up of my description to them.

...and since the bearings were under their warranty and that is what triggered the CEL and TRAC OFF lights I should not have to pay for that diagnostic even if I didn't diagnose myself.

I'll be calling them back but their phones and Internet have been problematic for days (they had to use personal cell phones to reach me).
After you're done with these people on this bill I think you should determine to leave them in your dust and take your business elsewhere and/or DIY your repairs. I'm under 1500 mi/year so hardly ever need car work done (do minor stuff myself), but the shop I have gone to the last few years has A+ Yelp reviews and so far so good AFAIK.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Are these folks that store their masks in lunch bags cleaning them at all? Anyone know what's the best way to clean or sanitize them if we've used them to go out?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Meanwhile in Hubei/Wuhan, now them chinese have a little taste of what the Uighurs and Tibetians have to deal with every freaking day. Didn't their own government say all are well and no more infection, eh?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They've out-right found lab workers selling discarded lab animals at these Chinese wet markets... even bats though it's usually rats and pigs.
When my brother was in med school at UCSF, I as an undergrad at Cal across the bay, visited them one night. His wife served up a rabbit my brother had brought home from the lab. I did not enjoy that meal and have never eaten rabbit since.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Is it vented with the one-way valve that a lot of the better masks have? Because I can see those being an issue if the mask is also supposed to keep the wearers from unknowingly infecting others. The vents allow unfiltered air to escape/exhaust.

Yeah it does. But at least it will be functional enough to protect me. If I get COVID there will be nobody to work. I was already covering 2 positions by myself last night because the other guy is self quarantining with a fever and a cough.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
After you're done with these people on this bill I think you should determine to leave them in your dust and take your business elsewhere and/or DIY your repairs. I'm under 1500 mi/year so hardly ever need car work done (do minor stuff myself), but the shop I have gone to the last few years has A+ Yelp reviews and so far so good AFAIK.
Unfortunately, my mother is friends with them and has some sort of bizarre infatuation. Truly ga-ga for these people. The owners actually used to work with Ichinisan before leaving the company to start their Goodyear franchise. Our mother believes they are the best and most honest people by far, which I scoff at every time!

Example of how ga-ga our mother is for them:
When lightning hit my brother's car a year ago our mother just assumed the insurance company was going to rip us off and tried to get us to refuse to let them take the car. Of course, Goodyear had evaluated it for the insurance company, so it was at their shop. She wanted to force us to refuse the insurance company by trying to give the car to the Goodyear shop even though it wasn't even hers to give... as if they even want our totaled-out car (they aren't a junkyard). That would've reduced our pay-out by thousands but she just wanted to bend over backwards to give them something. She's infatuated.

• Wow

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
And now we are gonna base our preparedness based on movies...

OH NOES!!!!! Armegeddon said the same exact thing...when are you going to get your panties in wad because we aren't preparing the inevitable asteroid hitting the earth?
"Same exact thing?" I don't think so. You better recalibrate.

Contagion's chief consultant was Dr. Larry Brilliant, who knows what he's talking about. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that earth being hit by an asteroid in the next 10,000 years is a long shot, whereas the likelihood of our suffering a terrible pandemic was damn high within a generation. And here we are.

Interview with Dr. Larry Brilliant recently on covid-19 crisis, well worth reading.

Last edited:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
"Save exact thing?" I don't think so. You better recalibrate.

Contagion's chief consultant was Dr. Larry Brilliant, who knows what he's talking about. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that earth being hit by an asteroid in the next 10,000 years is a long shot, whereas the likelihood of our suffering a terrible pandemic was damn high within a generation. And here we are.

Interview with Dr. Larry Brilliant recently on covid-19 crisis, well worth reading.
im sorry but fuck anyone whos last name is "brilliant". theres 0% chance i can take anything they say seriously.i dont care if i die!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The second you're having trouble breathing get help immediately.
This is going to be a problem for folks any distance from a hospital. The time between, "this sucks" and "I'm dying" is pretty short.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah. I've only been able to get alternator-sized liter bottles at Fry's Electronics and Microcenter. ;)

Seriously though: Their largest "PUREtronics Electronics Cleaning Grade 99.9%" isn't nearly enough to fill up a 3-gallon ultrasonic cleaner. Not sure I'm able to take delivery of a 55ga drum tho'. Not even sure if it's legal to store residentially. D: $760 isn't so bad though. About $1,000 off the Fry's/Micro price.

Wait a minute... Fry's Electronics is still in business? All of their stores looked like they were looted before COVID-19, so I can only imagine what they look like now.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
From the Guardian's blog (which doesn't let you link to individual entries)

1585941168400.png

I mean, Indonesia's only reported 181 Coronavirus deaths in total - how do you reconcile that with an extra 1000 or so funerals more than usual, in just the capital in just one month?

While some countries might be in some respects over-counting deaths (because if someone old, in hospital with existing serious problems, dies with the virus, it's clearly difficult to know if the virus truely 'caused' the death), overall I'd bet deaths are being hugely under-reported.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How did you make that link? I have been trying to find/figure-out how to do that URL unfurl thing here in these forums and haven't found it.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, city just declared a "state of emergency." It mimics what the state just did but let's act like we're doing something and scare people. Fucktards. I think we have 15 cases in the county.

As stated in the resolution, public parks will be open but all recreation buildings connected to the parks will be closed to the public through the state of emergency.

All recreation activities are canceled, including, but not limited to, city-sponsored sports league games, practices and tournaments, as well as city-permitted or licensed events.

All permits, licensing and payment transactions should be handled online, by US mail, or over the telephone, though the city will not at this time cancel in-person transactions. The drive-thru option for bill payments will still be available to the public.

Municipal Court is canceled through March 31. Any scheduled bench trials or matters involving juries will be rescheduled.

City staff is encouraged to maintain the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggestion of at least 6 feet of distance when interacting with customers if they have to meet in person.

Basic city functions will continue, including core Public Safety functions, pick up of garbage, recycling and yard debris, utility repairs and landscaping.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
All those stupid movies where humankind unites against an alien invasion, really got it wrong. When there's an outside-threat, it's everyone for themselves.

Not just between countries but even between people within a country. See my post above between Hubei/Wuhan vs. its neighbor.

Also, it is about money and profit and I mean big money. See my post a couple pages back about 3 persons with 7 BILLIONS USD gains (ventilators) from the virus within the last few months or so.And they are not alone.Clorox, 3M, oil tanker owners, etc. are making money like bandits. Just like the old saying, those have money live with a different standard than those don't.

One more thing. An ad pop out from this very own site for N95 masks. I was curious so I clicked on it and the price was $40/each with free shipping. LOL and SMH at the same time.

Last edited: