NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 230 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
To me, the draconian behavior we saw up front on network TV news programs in probably cell phone made videos in Wuhan early on meant one thing only... human to human transmission was not only happening, it was rampant. This virus was very obviously either highly fatal (CFR) or extremely contagious. One or the other or both. It was obvious they were FREAKING OUT over this. In spite of that uncertainty, one thing was for sure: it was spreading from human to human. That regardless of what China's propaganda machine was saying and what the milquetoast WHO was saying. WHO seems not much more reliable than FIFA or IOC. Taiwan took notice as did SK, Singapore, etc. Italy, obviously not so much. Iran had trade agreements and IIRC worker exchange programs with China that brought the epidemic to them and their government is, as we know, ill equipped to handle a crisis. The USA had a chance to get ready for this but just blew it. I hear our for-sale supplies of N95 were bought up by the Chinese while we slept. The Trump fiefdom had no structure in place to deal with a pandemic, thanks to you know who, who still takes every opportunity he can to minimize the electorate's concern.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Some of what Trump talks about are legit things that could help us but it's mixed in with other bad info or stuff not supported by data.

People spend too much time thinking about him and what he's doing. In situations like this, the President can't do much but poke and prod, and rubber stamp emergency assistance authorizations. He wants attention, and people keep giving it to him, either in support in criticism. He feeds off it either way.

I know this is the non-political thread but listening to Andrew Cuomo just now ... all I'll say is the difference between him and our Imperious leader is stark.

Pretty words don't mean much. Cuomo has serious flaws of his own. It's his job (and the job of every state Governor, moreso than the President) to hold his state together during a crisis. So if he's actually doing it, then great, but by now we should know that pretty speeches count for very little.

every crisis is a business opportunity

I would report the HOA to the state Governor's office ASAP, and alert media. Time to get the names of those HOA officials out there. Courts generally won't authorize or execute evictions at this time, either. And to foreclose, banks will have to get involved. I know my bank won't foreclose on anyone right now.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
City just issued a stay at home order unless you're essential.

Hey, you're broke and need $$ for TP. I AM essential.

Plan on ignoring it until the cops show up. See the above reason and we have 9 cases in the county of 140k. But I thought it prudent to gather "important stuff" from the office. I keep those here because of the alarm/fireproof file cabinets, etc.

1st thing I grabbed was the case of TP.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
USPS was supposedly quasi-privatized many years ago in hopes that it would become profitable. Unfortunately, the Feds still won't let them make the hard decisions they need to make and blocked them from making important cuts multiple times. This makes them worse off than a private company or a government entity. They don't have the freedom to turn the ship around nor the safety net of being an essential government service.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
USPS was supposedly quasi-privatized many years ago in hopes that it would become profitable. Unfortunately, the Feds still won't let them make the hard decisions they need to make and blocked them from making important cuts multiple times. This makes them worse off than a private company or a government entity. They don't have the freedom to turn the ship around nor the safety net of being an essential government service.

They were also forced to pre-fund their huge pension fund. It drives most of their debt.

Reactions: destrekor and CZroe

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
i still think i have some of our funniest AIM dumps laying around on this hard drive

time to go excavating into the early 2000s...

I don't have any AIM logs, but I do have some IRC logs from around 2000ish. It's weird to think that I don't have any clue what a single one of those people are doing these days, even though a lot of that time was spent on a really small server (axisnet > axpi > mediadriven). Damn, this is making me want to dig into those logs...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Anyone know where you can get the BodySphere Inc serology test to see if you ever had the virus? Seems like they are just going to the places you don't want to be if you aren't sick and you might still be able to get it. If they are going to see how widespread minor or asymptomatic infections were then they are going to have to get them someplace outside of clinics and hospitals... like Starbucks. ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Anyone know where you can get the BodySphere Inc serology test to see if you ever had the virus? Seems like they are just going to the places you don't want to be if you aren't sick and you might still be able to get it. If they are going to see how widespread minor or asymptomatic infections were then they are going to have to get them someplace outside of clinics and hospitals... like Starbucks. ;)

Some places are setting up drive-through testing stations. I'd rather to testing by mail. Assuming the USPS keeps operating.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Some places are setting up drive-through testing stations. I'd rather to testing by mail. Assuming the USPS keeps operating.
Yes, but it seems drive through testing is usually for the test that checks for the presence of the virus instead of the presence of antibodies. A serology/antibody test would continue to show positive after the infection has passed which would let you know if you've already had it. A lot of people could presumably stop walking on eggshells once they know and the data is extremely useful for epidemiology research.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yes, but it seems drive through testing is usually for the test that checks for the presence of the virus instead of the presence of antibodies. A serology/antibody test that would continue to show positive after the infection has passed which would let you know if you've already had it. A lot of people could presumably stop walking on eggshells once they know and the data is extremely useful for epidemiology research.

Yeah that is another one of my complaints. We could really bring this economy back around if we could find everyone who has already survived exposure! That's up to 80% of the public if you count asymptomatic carriers and people who had only mild symptoms.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Even with blanket nationwide adoption of stringent mitigation efforts, between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could face death in the coming weeks in a cascading nationwide ordeal, according to modeling explained by senior members of the President's emergency task force Tuesday.

Just awful. We crossed 4,000 deaths in America in today. It's going to be a bitter few months for a lot of people. Hope everyone here makes it through it & stays in good spirits!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
They have a makeshift hospital in NYC's central park:

I like to pop into the city whenever I can for a half-day of fun...I had been planning on going last week for a food tour, catch a movie in Atmos at the AMC 25, do a tour of Farm One, etc. Never would have thought it would have looked like this a month ago :oops:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Most of us already knew this. Also he should leave his anti-who sentiments out of his messages, even if he is right, it dilutes his main point.

Like Ive said before, just look at Japan's numbers. But then again, people will make up any excuse to dismiss numbers as false. Many said japan was lying because of the olympics. Almost everyone says china is lying because china. The WHO might be a farce, but really we did this to ourselves folks. Its time to use the data to our advantage instead of dismissing the data as fake news. Time to put down the flat earth playbook!

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
I've seen here a simularion of the spread of covid from a single beach party but can't seem to find it. It was not a simulation, but tracking of their phones.

If someone remembers, thanks

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Coronavirus: Anger is growing at China over COVID-19 and its apparent cover-up attempt

Can the government of China can be sued by the families who have lost loved ones around the world? Maybe have its international assets frozen to pay reparations?

Edit - the lawsuits have already begun: