NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 232 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I watched an interview with Bill Gates, and he warned Trump a few years ago that something like this could happen. He listened, but didn't act.

Bill Gates know that something like this could happen. And, no one listened.

So we have to act on every prediction that is made? I am pretty sure there have been a ton of wrong predictions in the past few years....

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I came back to work last night. Low and behold, all the intubated COVID patients are on propofol.

Propofol is a known chelator of zinc.

Zinc is widely known to play a crucial role in immune function. Also lower levels in sepsis are associated with increased IL-6 and IL-8 levels. Not good for cytokine storm.

Zinc is thought to interfere with coronavirus replication.

So far my google fu has come up with nothing as to recommendations with COVID.

I wonder if anyone is doing a study or if there are studies comparing propofol vs sedation with fentanyl/versed/paralytic.
So they might be sucking zinc out of the peeps, zinc that may help protect them?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Mandatory viewing:

To the people who aren't familiar with Matthew Tye/C-Milk/LaoWhy86, you might see this video and think it's some know-nothing YouTube conspiracy nut jumping on the Coronavirus fear-mongering bandwagon. You'd be wrong.

I've been following him since he was an expatriate motorcycle vlogger living in China and just talking about the scenery and day-to-day life. Due to his friends and family in China he was among the first in the west giving us an inside look at what was really happening in China, telling us back in January that we needed to shame anyone attempting to downplay it in comparison to the flu.

In this video he only discusses what is/was publicly available on the censored Chinese Internet. As you may recall, I posted in this thread about a South China University report that the virus likely came from the lab in Wuhan. That was from an official Chinese source published as academic research. That report is now gone, but you can still read the summary in archive.org:

"We briefly examined the histories of the laboratories and proposed that the coronavirus probably originated from a laboratory."

c3b0bc81b5fb89cedf778cb6f4a2812d.jpg

Original URL (no longer works):
www.researchgate.net/publication/339070128_The_possible_origins_2019-nCoV_coronavirus

Do not believe China's lies.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So we have to act on every prediction that is made? I am pretty sure there have been a ton of wrong predictions in the past few years....

SK and the US both reported their first case on the same day. Who was prepared and who wasn't?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Mandatory viewing:

To the people who aren't familiar with Matthew Tye/C-Milk/LaoWhy86, you might see this video and think it's some know-nothing YouTube conspiracy nut jumping on the Coronavirus fear-mongering bandwagon. You'd be wrong.

I've been following him since he was an expatriate motorcycle vlogger living in China and just talking about the scenery and day-to-day life. Due to his friends and family in China he was among the first in the west giving us an inside look at what was really happening in China, telling us back in January that we needed to shame anyone attempting to downplay it in comparison to the flu.

In this video he only discusses what is/was publicly available on the censored Chinese Internet. As you may recall, I posted in this thread about a South China University report that the virus likely came from the lab in Wuhan. That was from an official Chinese source published as academic research. That report is now gone, but you can still read the summary in archive.org:

"We briefly examined the histories of the laboratories and proposed that the coronavirus probably originated from a laboratory."

c3b0bc81b5fb89cedf778cb6f4a2812d.jpg

Original URL (no longer works):
www.researchgate.net/publication/339070128_The_possible_origins_2019-nCoV_coronavirus

Do not believe China's lies.
Why is this mandatory viewing, and in what way does it ultimately matter to us?
Suppose it's correct, and China created this in a lab. Okay? What do we do with this information?

Reactions: randay

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

I've been following him since he was an expatriate motorcycle vlogger living in China and just talking about the scenery and day-to-day life.

Sorry but I don't see much difference between a "know-nothing YouTube conspiracy nut" and "an expatriate motorcycle vlogger" when it comes to the origin of the coronavirus.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I dont think anyone is believing china regarding the origin of the virus.... ?

I can point to a few.

Why is this mandatory viewing, and in what way does it ultimately matter to us?
Suppose it's correct, and China created this in a lab. Okay? What do we do with this information?
It wasn't created in a lab. No one is saying that. Matt made that very clear.

It's "mandatory" because anything The West discovers in China linking the outbreak to a lab accident is going to be censored/deleted very soon, just like the the South China University Technical Institute research paper I first mentioned a month and a half ago.

It "ultimately matters" particularly because history will repeat itself if we let them get away with censorship, false scapegoating, and cover-ups. Disregard the impact their lies have had on the rest of the world: If now is still not the time to confront China on the underlying issues that caused their own people to suffer far worse than if they did not cover it up, then when?

Sorry but I don't see much difference between a "know-nothing YouTube conspiracy nut" and "an expatriate motorcycle vlogger" when it comes to the origin of the coronavirus.
Yes. Let's stick to official word from China and the WHO instead of inside info from trusted witnesses with a track record. Surely China and the WHO are telling the truth and not someone on YouTube who was proven right every step of the way. /S

The beauty of it is that you don't have to believe him. You can look it up and translate the sources yourself. Know how I knew American N95 mask stocks were getting shipped to China back in January? This guy and his fellow expatriate China vlogger, Winston Sterzel/SerpentZA, showed the sites where parallel traders were instructing each other how to order masks from American Amazon and medical suppliers. They were ahead of the media every step of the way.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Yes. Let's stick to official word from China and the WHO instead of inside info from trusted witnesses with a track record.

Pretty sure I don't have to choose between official word from China and an expatriate motorcycle vlogger. He may be right, but I don't have to believe him because someone on the internet says he's a "trusted witness."

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Pretty sure I don't have to choose between official word from China and an expatriate motorcycle vlogger.

Where do you think the virus came from? Considering this is a Pandemic unlike anything we have experienced in a century.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Speaking of commie china, its new policy with visiting foreigners is even worse than most countries yet it was commie china that cried and whined when the US did it when new cases began to pop up in January. Do as we say and not as we do, eh?

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Speaking of commie china, its new policy with visiting foreigners is even worse than most countries yet it was commie china that cried and whined when the US did it when new cases began to pop up in January. Do as we say and not as we do, eh?
You sure like writing, "commie China" even though China dumped communism over thirty years ago for capitalism a-go-go with the enthusiastic participation of American capitalists. If you want to write rotten things about the party dictatorship of the CCP have at it but the CCP ain't even slightly interested in communism anymore. They making way to much money for that.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
You sure like writing, "commie China" even though China dumped communism over thirty years ago for capitalism a-go-go with the enthusiastic participation of American capitalists. If you want to write rotten things about the party dictatorship of the CCP have at it but the CCP ain't even slightly interested in communism anymore. They making way to much money for that.
China is definitely communist. That's how they're able to claim most common food animals as a natural resource which gives the government control over ownership and distribution, etc.

That's the reason that bats and other crazy shit are being sold in the Wuhan market and is directly responsible for things like Covid making it into the food supply.

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Where do you think the virus came from? Considering this is a Pandemic unlike anything we have experienced in a century.

No one really knows yet, but there's a paper from Nature that gives a bit more insight:

"The genomic features described here may explain in part the infectiousness and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Although the evidence shows that SARS-CoV-2 is not a purposefully manipulated virus, it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin described here. However, since we observed all notable SARS-CoV-2 features, including the optimized RBD and polybasic cleavage site, in related coronaviruses in nature, we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible."

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The economy is largely capitalist but the governing party isn't.

The CCP is using their totalitarian Communist powers to suppress information, arrest doctors who discovered and privately warned each other about it, force them to sign statements to recant their discoveries to preserve social harmony, etc. It's the remaining Communist power that allowed this to happen. It couldn't happen this way if people were allowed to speak freely.