NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 202 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah, because they only hire single people who only go directly from home to work and back :rolleyes: are you serious dude?

Of course I'm serious. Being single or married or whatever has nothing to do with anything. Many places have already had partial or full lockdowns going on for 2 weeks. One more week ought to be enough. Enough public places are closed such that it's getting hard for anyone to spread or receive the virus that hasn't been infected already. That was the whole point of enforced "social distancing" since we have not elected to wait for a cure or treatment (which is fine by me).

In three weeks time, the majority of the public that was exposed will have no real viral load, and many of the people that started getting sick two weeks ago will have begun recovery (and will likely no longer be contagious). Obviously, some areas like New York and California may elect to lock down for longer. Around here, our case load is still low, so most of the infections/asymptomatic carriers are in the process of burning out already. After next week, we should get an all-clear. Our governor has called for limited re-opening of non-essential businesses on April 6th. The schools are planning to reopen April 13th (was originally March 30th). I think those dates may be a little late, but hey whatever.

Obviously the dire cases will need to stay in medical care until it's certain they won't spread the disease. I'm more talking about those who aren't currently receiving medical care and who have been locked down for about two weeks already. There may be cases in isolation that start showing symptoms later this week, and they should be moved into medical quarantine wherever possible. For everyone else, though? 3 weeks will be long enough, and that may be a huge percentage of the population where cases were not prevalent before the institutions of quarantine.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I forgot that governors can still keep stay at home in place after Easter if they want to. And I'm ok with that but what if the citizens revolt against governors who don't cancel the stay at home orders? That sounds like tin foil stuff but if people demand to go back to work in 2 weeks especially after the feds approve it...

And I'm no Trump fan other than the economic bump of 2017 helped my family make money but that's getting into a thread that belongs in p&n. Anyway those gains have been erased in the last couple weeks.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I forgot that governors can still keep stay at home in place after Easter if they want to. And I'm ok with that but what if the citizens revolt against governors who don't cancel the stay at home orders? That sounds like tin foil stuff but if people demand to go back to work in 2 weeks especially after the feds approve it...

And I'm no Trump fan other than the economic bump of 2017 helped my family make money but that's getting into a thread that belongs in p&n. Anyway those gains have been erased in the last couple weeks.
With all the abuse citizens have taken lying down over the years, I kinda doubt the political bullshit surrounding the virus will be enough for people to take up pitchforks and torches.
The politicians know this. Thats why they behave the way they do. They know Americans just don't have the tar & feather spirit anymore.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Apple is going to attempt to reopen some stores in Early April. We will have to see how many actually open.

7e77a5c329967317c5710f956864b5b11e1b396f75a58c01c9d0e8c3f3798f4e.jpg

Reactions: IronWing

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's talk that the schools here will stay closed for longer. They were suppose to open early April, now it looks like it won't be that date, with no date decided yet. Most people seem to think it's for the rest of the school year.

Must be an interesting time to be a kid right now.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
There's talk that the schools here will stay closed for longer. They were suppose to open early April, now it looks like it won't be that date, with no date decided yet. Most people seem to think it's for the rest of the school year.

Must be an interesting time to be a kid right now.
lol effed out of a poor education so your rents can do a worse jerb. This is SC.

And rents will find out how bad their bastards kids are. Woot.

Reactions: pcgeek11

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Of course I'm serious. Being single or married or whatever has nothing to do with anything. Many places have already had partial or full lockdowns going on for 2 weeks. One more week ought to be enough. Enough public places are closed such that it's getting hard for anyone to spread or receive the virus that hasn't been infected already. That was the whole point of enforced "social distancing" since we have not elected to wait for a cure or treatment (which is fine by me).

In three weeks time, the majority of the public that was exposed will have no real viral load, and many of the people that started getting sick two weeks ago will have begun recovery (and will likely no longer be contagious). Obviously, some areas like New York and California may elect to lock down for longer. Around here, our case load is still low, so most of the infections/asymptomatic carriers are in the process of burning out already. After next week, we should get an all-clear. Our governor has called for limited re-opening of non-essential businesses on April 6th. The schools are planning to reopen April 13th (was originally March 30th). I think those dates may be a little late, but hey whatever.

Obviously the dire cases will need to stay in medical care until it's certain they won't spread the disease. I'm more talking about those who aren't currently receiving medical care and who have been locked down for about two weeks already. There may be cases in isolation that start showing symptoms later this week, and they should be moved into medical quarantine wherever possible. For everyone else, though? 3 weeks will be long enough, and that may be a huge percentage of the population where cases were not prevalent before the institutions of quarantine.

Unless there was a complete lockdown of EVERYONE, no leaving home for anything, not even groceries, saying that a company that was closed for 2 weeks is in the clear is completely asinine

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Last edited:
Reactions: highland145

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
How do you think it would go if the Government put SF under quarantine because there was a flu outbreak?

I would predict massive riots and a death toll that would put any disease in modern history in the shade.

Posted 1/23. Good job SF not rioting

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Unless there was a complete lockdown of EVERYONE, no leaving home for anything, not even groceries, saying that a company that was closed for 2 weeks is in the clear is completely asinine

Care to explain? You seem to have not noticed some of the highly-informative posts here. Such as:

The quarantines were never meant to be perfect. "Flattening the curve" was always the goal. Eventually people have to come out of quarantine.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Influenza vaccines for the next season are usually released in August/September, if I remember correctly. And you'll want to get it as early as possible, as it can take 2-4 weeks for your body to build the immunity from the vaccine.
I probably got mine right around that time, so I probably got the current vaccine (but maybe I got the now out-dated vaccine?). If I find the paperwork, it will probably have some info about which one I got.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Was just washing my hands and face and I had a thought...

could it help to leave soap on your face and in your nostrils? Even if it dries out it could reliquify if it transfers with the virus to your mucous membranes.

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this but I'd prefer dish detergent or regular soap over antibacterial soap. Not just because viruses aren't bacteria, but because they have bactine in them, which leaves a protective film on your skin rather than washing clean. If the film itself doesn't wash away from the soapy water then perhaps it could harbor the virus. Maybe it breaks down the lipid envelope too, I dunno, but it seems to me that regular soap is a safer bet.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.
Everybody's telling you to wash your hands. This environment is hell for hypochondriacs and paranoiacs. I've been reading a lot of sites dealing with coronaviruses, their characteristics. Where and how and under what conditions they survive and the means of infection. I'm beginning to think that by far the dominant means of transmission is by virtue of breathing. Touching your face is likely quite secondary. A very extensive page I just read maintains several times that there is no evidence of transmission from food. Actually, that was why I read the page, I'm concerned that some fruit and vegetables shopped for me could transmit the virus. Storage in a refrigerator at high humidity, has me concerned, even after a few days. The info I see hasn't calmed me about these things.

Also of note: Widely quoted now is the study (recent, and not peer reviewed) saying the virus persists on cardboard up to 24 hours, on copper for 4 hours and on plastic and steel up to 3 days. What you don't see mentioned is that this was conducted at 70-72F and 40% humidity. At lower temperatures and higher humidity it persists for longer. My lettuce?

This is the one I just read, it's quite extensive, pretty interesting.

Then there's this.

And this.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
17 days... wow!
They found traces of RNA. How did they verify that the virus was still intact / infectious?

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
17 days... wow!
Well, finding the RNA doesn't equate to transmissible virus AFAIK. You will find the virus's RNA in recovering patients who are beyond the stage where they are contagious. That might be the case for the RNA they found 17 days after the infected people left the vessel.

There's a whole lot they don't know yet about SARS-Cov-2.
They found traces of RNA. How did they verify that the virus was still intact / infectious?

Exactly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think everyone is either lying or just isn't able to test sufficiently, except for South Korea. I doubt it's just (well, not entirely) deliberate propaganda in the case of the poorer countries, they just don't have the ability to test for the virus.

If Italy's figures are accurate, for example, it means the fatality rate of the virus there is approaching 10%. Seems much more likely (and slightly less scary) to assume that they are just substantially undercounting the infected. Not necessarily for want of trying.

The UK authorities admitted that the real figure is probably ten times the recorded one (not completely a guess - based on extrapolation from samples where the exact figures were known). For countries like Brazil or Turkey it's probably both an inability to test plus national pride not wanting to admit the scale of the problem. For other countries it might lean to more one or other of those.

South Korea appears to be the only place that has decided that to fight it they need good numbers, and national pride be damned.
I saw an opinion that seemed from an unbiased and well informed expert source around 3 days ago that the actual infections in the USA was maybe 100x the confirmed cases. If true that means we have over 5,000,000 infected Americans now. Things are going to get very grim very quickly now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've been wondering about that too. I think it's clear that China is lying, their numbers/percentages just don't jive with anyone else at all, but even India for example, how they they have so little cases for such a dense country? Maybe they just don't have as much testing going on? I suppose that is also a possibility. Same with Russia, maybe they just arn't testing as much?
My guess is that Russia is being secretive. They just don't like to be honest in principle, is my impression of them at least at the governmental level.

India just declared 3 weeks lock down, so obviously they are all in on admitting they have a serious problem developing.
Oh man I honestly don't know how they do that. Even doing a 24h would be tough.
If you were to do a 72 hour shift at a hospital you'd obviously have sleep times.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Was searching for a video that gives a look in a New York City hospital right now. Found this:

I seem to be the only view so far. I see the same people twice and nothing to confirm it's really NYC but wherever it is they have people laid out on the floor with nothing more than masks and a towel. You can hear the characteristic dry cough. These people would probably be better off at home until they are so bad they need a ventilator. D:
I think that's Italy. I saw what I think is the same video on TV news last night and they said it was Italy.

Edit: Um, maybe it was Spain, can't be sure, but it wasn't NY.

Reactions: CZroe

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
A very extensive page I just read maintains several times that there is no evidence of transmission from food.

That's basically what I had noticed (actually I was looking more at flu transmission via food; your information seems more specific). It is a bit hard to get over the idea that infected people handling your food could cause a problem, and yet, all the research seems to indicate otherwise. I'm glad you actually took the time to read up on it.

I saw an opinion that seemed from an unbiased and well informed expert source around 3 days ago that the actual infections in the USA was maybe 100x the confirmed cases. If true that means we have over 5,000,000 infected Americans now. Things are going to get very grim very quickly now.

Maybe, maybe not. Most of the voluntary/semi-voluntary quarantines started maybe two weeks ago? Actual transmission between humans ought to have slowed down considerably since then, and the infections themselves should have started emerging by now (or will in the next few days). I think there ARE a lot of carriers out there, but the number of infections requiring hospitalization should have climbed higher by now if things were going to cascade out of control.

Case in point: there was a woman in north-central GA that popped up with flu-like symptoms on Feb. 29th. She was sent home, but later tested positive for Covid-19 (March 4th or so?). Big mistake letting her go, but regardless, nobody could tell who transmitted the virus to her. She had not been travelling. Carriers were present 1-2 weeks before her hospital visit on Feb. 29th, and she herself had weeks to transmit the virus all over the place. The I-75 corridor between Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Knoxville should have been infested with Covid-19 by early March, and Nashville too (I-24).

To date we have not seen that many cases develop over the last three weeks. I am guessing that lots of people "got lucky", picked up the disease, and fought it off. We quarantined relatively earlier than California, Washington state, and New York, so despite the numerous opportunities for the virus to spread early and undetected, it hasn't had anywhere to go for about two weeks. We have been terribly fortunate. Georgia only has 1097 cases (with 38 deaths) thus far, and those cases were likely started up at the beginning of the existing quarantine period - when carriers in North-central GA had every opportunity to make mincemeat of the public health system. Tennessee only has 773 cases. Now, you might be thinking, "insufficient testing" etc. And I agree that the number of carriers is much higher. But the confirmed cases have almost all, up to this point, been people who were sick enough to need medical care. They tend to come out of the woodwork when they start having problems breathing. We should have had a lot more people coming forward given that, as a broad average, around 18% of people who contract the disease develop decidedly unpleasant symptoms that may prompt one to seek medical attention. Maybe there are some people gutting it out at home that will suffer terribly for their unwillingness/inability to seek medical help. I don't know. Sooner or later, we'll find out about those people. If they exist.

Reactions: Muse

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I think that's Italy. I saw what I think is the same video on TV news last night and they said it was Italy.

Edit: Um, maybe it was Spain, can't be sure, but it wasn't NY.
The below video is from Italy: dunno if it has been posted in this topic yet, as i didn't read ALL the comments.

WARNING: this is a bit hard to watch, but it's what's happening to Italy now and will, likely happen in Spain during this week.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante