NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Glad they did give in to postpone them. Having the Olympics in middle of this would have been retarded. Even if by chance they decided there are zero spectators it still involves lot of athletes and officials from all around the world going to one place, then going back home. Bad idea!

Nov 8, 2012
Olympics has been postponed. Japans numbers are still incredibly low. Who still thinks Japan is lying? Who still thinks being obnoxiously clean and courteous is a bad idea?

Honestly, I think everyone is lying about their numbers except the western world (Europe, Canada, etc.). In the case of the US - it's just ignorance of not doing enough testing to accurately have our numbers.

But India, China, Japan, Russia, and all of LATAM? I think they are all full of shit.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Honestly, I think everyone is lying about their numbers except the western world (Europe, Canada, etc.). In the case of the US - it's just ignorance of not doing enough testing to accurately have our numbers.

But India, China, Japan, Russia, and all of LATAM? I think they are all full of shit.

I think everyone is either lying or just isn't able to test sufficiently, except for South Korea. I doubt it's just (well, not entirely) deliberate propaganda in the case of the poorer countries, they just don't have the ability to test for the virus.

If Italy's figures are accurate, for example, it means the fatality rate of the virus there is approaching 10%. Seems much more likely (and slightly less scary) to assume that they are just substantially undercounting the infected. Not necessarily for want of trying.

The UK authorities admitted that the real figure is probably ten times the recorded one (not completely a guess - based on extrapolation from samples where the exact figures were known). For countries like Brazil or Turkey it's probably both an inability to test plus national pride not wanting to admit the scale of the problem. For other countries it might lean to more one or other of those.

South Korea appears to be the only place that has decided that to fight it they need good numbers, and national pride be damned.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Not me. Cruise ships accommodate all those vacationers who would otherwise be swarming the places I like to go. It’s like pro sports keeping folks glued to their sets who would otherwise be bothering me.

Keeping the cattle in their pen!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
90204083_3062623783799676_8563169339358838784_n.jpg

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Still getting crazier with the ideas floating around. What if in the next 2 weeks there's a big spike in virus deaths from essential workers returning home every day and infecting older relatives. That could rattle things so much that it could prevent a comeback in the economy. And stocks could stay down. What a further mess.

Nov 8, 2012
Gotta love the irony that "essential employees/jobs" are (in a large part) coincidentally some of the lowest paying. Whoduhthunkit?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
17 days... wow!

It seems like they don't know a damn thing about this virus and how it spreads

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I read an article yesterday that the ACA exchanges may open up soon for the newly unemployed. I work for one of the largest health insurers in the country, and there are murmers about this in executive leadership. This would be an extraordenary move, as health insurers use the non-open enrollment time to build new projects internally, etc. Everything we do is in preparation of the next open enrollment. Nine states with their own exchanges have already opened up.

Nov 8, 2012
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet in the last 200 pages - but this is the first I'm hearing that your blood type seems to be playing a factor in your chances of fighting off the virus..

Types A are weakest and most susceptible
Type O are the strongest against it.

The preliminary evidence suggests this is TRUE.

A study awaiting publication in medical journals looked at blood types of COVID-19 patients in China. It found people with type A blood are about 20-percent more likely to contract Coronavirus than other blood types. Meanwhile, people with type O blood had about a 30-percent lower chance of getting the virus.

The study did not look at whether those cases are more or less severe based on blood type. It's important to note that these results are very preliminary because of how new this virus is.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I have these thoughts of becoming world famous from a stay at home video taken from my room, being a famous music star, inventing a life saving gadget, creating paintings that revolutionize the abstract art world and becoming rich. Well richer than I am already.

Reactions: shortylickens

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Just got word today, everyone's getting cut back to 30 hrs/week for at least 2 weeks, probably closer to 4-6 weeks in reality. At least I'm still employed so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Went back to work today. The place is swarming with customers even though it was a ghost town a week ago. Luckily my role has me in a private office so I generally don't interact with anyone. I brought my alcohol spray and sprayed every door handle or keypad before touching it. I still see at-risk people touching the handrails on escalators and opening doors with their hands which could easily be opened with other means.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
It's moments like these where I wished I lived in Alaska, or some northern wilderness. Fucking hate living in a city.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Went back to work today. The place is swarming with customers even though it was a ghost town a week ago. Luckily my role has me in a private office so I generally don't interact with anyone. I brought my alcohol spray and sprayed every door handle or keypad before touching it. I still see at-risk people touching the handrails on escalators and opening doors with their hands which could easily be opened with other means.

Where is this?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Olympics has been postponed. Japans numbers are still incredibly low. Who still thinks Japan is lying? Who still thinks being obnoxiously clean and courteous is a bad idea?
The Japanese have always been a hygienic people. Unlike Italians and basically everyone else on earth they are not a touch-feely people. Social distancing has been a thing for them since forever. And, they wore masks before it became a thing in the rest of the world. That is why Japan's death and infection numbers are low. It certainly explains the death numbers compared to Italy, where the population is also composed of very old people but are dropping like flies. And the people there do not question authority, which is something sorely needed at a time like this.

On another note, it's times like these when you can tell who the men are and who the mice are. Times like these separate the pitbulls from the poodles. Some people I know have ran away, 'hiding' out in Long Island until this pandemic blows over. Meanwhile, my wife and kids are doing grocery and medicine runs for the old in our apartment building. So far, no one has fallen in our building and no one will if they use common sense and practice safe hygienes. I've taught them well.

• Haha
Reactions: ponyo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I've suddenly become aware of how many damn buttons one has to press in the course of a day! Touch-screens are the worst - they don't work if you use your shirt sleeve or otherwise don't touch them with bare skin. Though it turns out they do eventually register the press if you jab them violently and forcefully enough, till whatever it is nearly falls over or breaks.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Speaking of my alcohol spray:
844636a79c16580a2077faaa8cc4a0ca.jpg

I got these spray bottles from Walmart last year and it seems the sprayers fit my 99.9% isopropyl bottles perfectly. I've also had this gallon of "Denatured Alcohol" from Lowe's for several months. The 99.9% "Electronics Cleaning Grade" isopropyl was from Fry's Electronics and Microcenter. I always keep this stuff around.

Anyway, I'm told to dilute it down to 70% because 99% evaporates too fast to kill many bacteria. I think it'll do for viruses and the fast-drying lets me spray office paperwork and electronics without getting anything wet or water-damaged. To make up for it evaporating too fast I spray those things again as soon as they dry and I use another one diluted to 70% to better disinfect other surfaces (counters, door-knobs, handrails, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I've suddenly become aware of how many damn buttons one has to press in the course of a day! Touch-screens are the worst - they don't work if you use your shirt sleeve or otherwise don't touch them with bare skin. Though it turns out they do eventually register the press if you jab them violently and forcefully enough, till whatever it is nearly falls over or breaks.
"If the amount is correct push the 'Yes' button that everyone else has touched then use the tethered stylus that everyone else has touched to sign the keypad. Don't forget to remove and cross-contaminate your card before putting it in your wallet."