NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
My company just closed two of the offices (Seattle and San Mateo) for two weeks....

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Took my daughter to the dr Monday because she was complaining of her head and throat hurting. She had a slight fever of ~99F so I was worried going in. I was worried because we got back from Disneyland 10 days ago and it was busy as usual. We made sure to just wash our hands consistently and use sanitizer when we could. Turns out she has strep throat. I've had cough since January sometime that I can't shake, but it's seasonal allergies from all the almonds blooming in my area. No cases in my immediate area as of yet.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
FYI:

My M.D. general practitioner cousin, when I brought up covid-19 ten days ago, said to be sure to not be vitamin D deficient. He said it's an important component in maintaining a healthy immune system. I believe that would mean enough exposure to sunlight and/or a supplement. I bought a bottle of D3 at Costco 9 days ago. I'm pretty sure it's 50mcg, little yellow transparent soft gels, 2000iu.

ugh, due to a medication i take, i recently found out that i basically have no vitamin d at all. i wonder if that's why i have felt like crap for over a year.

my chest has hurt on and off for over 6 months and doctors did tests and were like "idk everything looks fine". but one of them finally decided to check vitamin d levels.

at least my doctor just prescribed me some 50000 IU pills

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
ugh, due to a medication i take, i recently found out that i basically have no vitamin d at all. i wonder if that's why i have felt like crap for over a year.

my chest has hurt on and off for over 6 months and doctors did tests and are like "idk everything looks fine"

Hmm... when I was Vitamin D shopping a few days ago I saw bottles of 250mcg pills being labeled for deficient people so I went down to 125mcg (50,000 IU)... same as you. Surprised they didn't prescribe more. Maybe I got too much! Already figured it was a high dose and planned to skip days.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep, it's a inexpensive chance at reducing the seriousness of COVID-19. Dr. John Campbell, known for his daily coronavirus updates, dedicated an entire video to Vitamin D.

Excellent, and worth watching the whole thing! It also explains the whys and wherefores of acute respiratory tract infections symptoms being in considerable part due to the body's own immune response system, something being discussed in these covid-19 related threads.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Hmm... when I was Vitamin D shopping a few days ago I saw bottles of 250mcg pills being labeled for deficient people so I went down to 125mcg (50,000 IU)... same as you. Surprised they didn't prescribe more. Maybe I got too much! Already figured it was a high dose and planned to skip days.

the ones i got prescribed are 1250s, one a week for like 10 weeks

Reactions: killster1 and CZroe

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
89640363_2725563497680797_6506315376819699712_n.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

my chest has hurt on and off for over 6 months and doctors did tests and were like "idk everything looks fine". but one of them finally decided to check vitamin d levels.

Could well save your life. Watch that video by Dr. Campbell.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Odd to mention Trump's personal health in regards to an emergency meeting that involves an actual national and worldwide emergency, especially considering he doesn't smoke or drink and the Democratic field is filled with elderly politicians as well.
Why do you think the common folk cant get no test kits? Trump is testing himself every 10 seconds of the day.... almost not Onion

eRacer

Jun 14, 2004
Considering he is the President of the United States, it would be odd not to mention Trump's personal health in regards to an emergency meeting that involves an actual national and worldwide emergency.

Not smoking and drinking is hardly an indictment of overall health, especially when you eat horribly...

University of California San Francisco Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education

Consistent with this science, analysis of deaths from corona virus in China shows that men are more likely to die than women, something that may be related to the fact that many more Chinese men smoke than women. Among Chinese patients diagnosed with COVID-19 associated pneumonia, the odds of disease progression (including to death) were 14 times higher among people with a history of smoking compared to those who did not smoke. This was the strongest risk factor among those examined.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But that would require daily testing of everybody...
Not absolutely. If you have a respiratory infection while this pandemic is raging across the planet, sure, get tested if testing is readily available to you. If it isn't if you can afford to quarantine yourself, doing so would be a public service. Myself, I can do it and will if it comes to that... with or without testing to confirm I have covid-19.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, interesting question. I gather that all these epidemics are different like that, attack different age groups. I'd guess it has something to do with levels of immunity? (Maybe older people had been exposed to something vaguely similar in the distant past?). Or is it something else?
I saw more info on that yesterday. Apparently 20-25 YO people during the Spanish Flu epidemic experienced outsized immune response that shut down major bodily systems moreso than younger/older age groups resulting in much increased mortality.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah. I got a couple bottles of D-enriched orange juice last week and a load of D3 from Kroger a few days ago (buy one, get one free sale). I got the 125mcg variety but that may be a little excessive if you aren't cronicly deficient for some reason.

I strongly suspect that Vitamin D deficiency is a third reason for the seasonality of respiratory illnesses since one of the other causes, indoor warmth-seeking, exacerbates it. It doesn't help that winter sunlight just doesn't work as well for natural vitamin D even if you do expose yourself to it and the temperatures will probably keep you in long sleeves.
Watch that video by Dr. Campbell linked above. He explains why Vitamin D deficiency is a major factor in respiratory infections in particular in the northern regions of the planet. it would matter in Antarctica too!

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
on the subject of vitamin D3; my primary care physician recommended to take vitamin K2 with it ... as the work in conjunction with each other. In fact many Vit D softgels/drops have K2 combined to simply things

edited to add: been taking D3&K2 for a couple years and only had one minor headcold which only lasted a day and a half... before I supplemented with this I was averaging two 2-3 colds/ year (lasting anywhere from 3-7days each) It does seem like its has helped my immune system

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
125mcg is actually 5,000 IU, not 50,000. I don't think you can find anything above 10,000 IU OTC, you need a prescription for the heavy stuff.

I'm currently taking 50mcg (2,000 IU) every morning due to a deficiency. I was taking 125mcg every day for a year (my physicals always show low vitamin D), and my results this time were around 55ng/mL, as opposed to the low-20s/high-teens. My doctor told me to cut it in half.

Reactions: CZroe

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I often see/hear people disparaging the very idea of vitamin supplements. And for most of them I agree, I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, and I'm fairly sure for the water-soluble vitamins at least, vitamin supplements would just mean I produced expensive vitamin-rich urine. But every time I've had it tested I've been hugely deficient in Vitamin D, including after an entire summer spent out of doors in the sun every single day. I just don't believe we get enough sunlight in northern latitudes to produce enough D.

So I think I'm going to get some more Vitamin D supplements!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Watch that video by Dr. Campbell linked above. He explains why Vitamin D deficiency is a major factor in respiratory infections in particular in the northern regions of the planet. it would matter in Antarctica too!
Yeah. I watched it a couple days ago... literally less than 30 seconds after he uploaded it. :)

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well, guys, that report out of South China University which concluded last month the virus "probably" came from a Wuhan lab and not the wet market seems to have been scrubbed from researchgate.net. You can still read the abstract on archive.org's WayBackMachine:

The possible origins of 2019-nCoV coronavirus

Botao Xiao & Lei Xiao
South China University of Technology

The 2019-nCoV has caused an epidemic of 28,060 laboratory-confirmed infections in human including 564 deaths in China by February 6, 2020. Two descriptions of the virus published on Nature this week indicated that the genome sequences from patients were almost identical to the Bat CoV ZC45 coronavirus. It was critical to study where the pathogen came from and how it passed onto human. An article published on The Lancet reported that 27 of 41 infected patients were found to have contact with the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan. We noted two laboratories conducting research on bat coronavirus in Wuhan, one of which was only 280 meters from the seafood market. We briefly examined the histories of the laboratories and proposed that the coronavirus probably originated from a laboratory. Our proposal provided an alternative origin of the coronavirus in addition to natural recombination and intermediate host.

Remember: A leak from a lab that studies infectious diseases does not mean the virus was engineered or weaponized... and the leak isn't even confirmed (just considered "probable" even from Chinese sources). Careful we don't make wild assumptions!

Here's where I first heard of it back in Feb:

Maybe it was scrubbed for being grossly inaccurate or it was scrubbed for censorship reasons. Who knows? Regardless, it's still worth preserving what we can in the mean time, just in case.

fenrir

Apr 6, 2001
Feb 4, 2009
I saw more info on that yesterday. Apparently 20-25 YO people during the Spanish Flu epidemic experienced outsized immune response that shut down major bodily systems moreso than younger/older age groups resulting in much increased mortality.

Yes I saw a show about this, weird body response. Old people died from typical virus problems and a group of Young people died from immune system over reacting.
Viruses can take weird, unexpectedly turns.
Wish we all took this matter more seriously.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Washing with soap & water: I read that the soap dissolves the outer layer of the virus spores, effectively rendering them harmless to you. It's not just the washing away of these spores that's going on with that.

Myself, I don't use "regular" hand soap when I wash my hands 95% of the time. Do you remember those Borax dispensers they used to have in public bathrooms? I bought a fair sized box of that some years ago. I poured some in a small plastic container, burned a hole in its top. I dispense a little of that in one palm and go to work, then rinse. I like the grainy nature of that stuff, have always felt it is better at removing dirt. I presume (hope) it will likewise put the kibosh on those nasty SARS-C0V-2 spores.

Coronavirus is a lipid enveloped virus. There is a fat layer surrounding it. Soap breaks up the fat layer and kills it.

Is it actually borax or just powdered soap? Straight borax is a mild skin irritant, can't imagine washing with it. Might be a soap base mixed with some borax.

Science experiment: Just put a drop of oil in water then drop some dishsoap in, the oil will be repelled by the soap, if you mix it up the oil will be broken up. Do the same with your powder to see if it behaves the same way, if not, switch to plain soap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse